NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#7893651 - 07/13/13 Re: The worst mistake on your elk hunt? [Re: ppine]
eyeball Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: ppine
Not getting in good enough shape, especially after age 55.
Under-estimating the critter.
Hunting in popular places full of non-resident goofballs. No offense but Texans in Colorado can be a problem as a group.

How about voting for an anti-gun, anti-hunting Muzzie wanting to destroy your country?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

RV 728 BP
CLICK HERE to see the AWESOME NEW SWAROVSKI STR SPOTTER at CAMERA LAND!
#7893660 - 07/13/13 Re: The worst mistake on your elk hunt? [Re: ppine]
eyeball Offline
Campfire Oracle

For those of you not used to hunting ahorseback, check your zero on your rifle after a few days of carrying a rifle in a scabbard.

Unless you have a quality gun, scope, mounts, and are a real American hunter, rather than a true POS Muzzie lover.

Edited by eyeball (07/13/13)

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

#7894265 - 07/13/13 Re: The worst mistake on your elk hunt? [Re: eyeball]
conrad101st Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: OK
Hiked in a few miles and camped close to our usual opening day spot. We got up at 5am and moved into position. We literally put our sleeping pads down and laid there all day. Not a beast in sight all day. It was cold as hell and we were frozen. Finally at 5 minutes before dark, we got up to head back to camp. We stood up and started stuffing our nick knacks into our rucks. We looked over and there was a dozen elk with 3 legal bulls looking at us from 75 yards away that literally must have rounded the bend in the canyon we were watching 15 seconds after we got up and there was still enough light to shoot. Busted and gone!

I just groaned and headed back for an MRE.

#7894781 - 07/13/13 Re: The worst mistake on your elk hunt? [Re: eyeball]
Larry in Colorado Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Longmont, Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: eyeball
For those of you not used to hunting ahorseback, check your zero on your rifle after a few days of carrying a rifle in a scabbard.

Unless you have a quality gun, scope, mounts, and are a real American hunter, rather than a true POS Muzzie lover.

I've had a rifle change zero after being in a scabbard; no scope or mounts involved. An open sighted rifle with a rear sight that had a spring under it. You turned the screw up or down to change the height. Spring kept the sight up against the screw. The scabbard pushed the sight down and the screw turned out (because it was now unloaded) due to the jostling from the horse. Missed a four point bull at 80 yards because of that; shot right over his back. These types of rear sights show up on a lot of guns, best thing to do is locktite them, but it can make changing the zero a bitch, depending on how much glue one puts in there.

#7895140 - 07/13/13 Re: The worst mistake on your elk hunt? [Re: Larry in Colorado]
Calif. Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: OC, CA
Not shooting the spike and holding out for a bigger bull....then going home empty-handed. Only did that once....then 2 6x6 bulls in consecutive years.

#7925963 - 07/24/13 Re: The worst mistake on your elk hunt? [Re: Calif. Hunter]
hunttolive Offline

Loc: APO AE
1. Loosing focus during midday in the dark timber. Busted them out of there beds.
2. Wind, not keeping it in my face
3. Forgetting my sleeping bag. Even early september nights get pretty cool at 9k feet. Hard to get a good nights rest.

#7930065 - 07/26/13 Re: The worst mistake on your elk hunt? [Re: hunttolive]
John_in_MS Offline
Campfire Regular

Moving away from a state that actually has elk hunting. And one of the best at that (Arizona)!!!

Edited by John_in_MS (07/26/13)

#7930944 - 07/26/13 Re: The worst mistake on your elk hunt? [Re: John_in_MS]
3584ELK Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Algona, WA
Not a road hunter, but I am sure I have driven past more elk than I will ever see out in the open...

More than once I have been up at 0400, driven up the forest road and hiked for an hour or two, then hit the previously driven road only to come across elk tracks obliterating my tire tracks.

Made the usual mistakes, been scented, rushed through bedding areas, distracted hiking rather than hunting, misses at close range, bumped scopes, etc.

I always say "that is why it is called hunting, not killing."

#7935241 - 07/28/13 Re: The worst mistake on your elk hunt? [Re: superdave]
Coyote_Hunter Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: 6491 Feet Above Sea Level
Responded earlier about getting three animals down 3 miles from the truck. After some thought, I've decided the worst mistake I've made was not going at all, something that has happened maybe twice since 1982 when I got started.

Edited by Coyote_Hunter (07/29/13)
Edit Reason: I, not "i".

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

#7937086 - 07/29/13 Re: The worst mistake on your elk hunt? [Re: 3584ELK]
Malloy805 Online   content
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Late Great Golden State
Not actually Elk hunting, but on our way to Colorado to hunt Elkone November, I was driving and we would alternate drivers when we switched gas tanks,a chevy with saddle tanks. We stopped on the backside of the Baker Grade outside of the California/ Nevada state line,walked around the front of the truck when we changed drivers because we were pulling a utility trailer. Unbeknown to us was that my brother who was "asleep" in the campershell had gotten out for a pitstop, and we drove off and left him,Bare foot, levis, t shirt and light windbreaker, didn't realize it untill we reached Las Vegas for a gas fill up. We turned around and went back to where we had switched drivers and found him curled up on a big flat rock trying to keep warm. Do I need to tell you he wasn't very happy....

#7937173 - 07/29/13 Re: The worst mistake on your elk hunt? [Re: Malloy805]
BCJR Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: A.K. SE
sharing my best spots with what I thought were good people

#7951142 - 08/03/13 Re: The worst mistake on your elk hunt? [Re: BCJR]
22WRF Offline
Campfire Guide

not befriending someone who is a good elk hunter and who has a good place to hunt elk.

#7951526 - 08/03/13 Re: The worst mistake on your elk hunt? [Re: 3584ELK]
cdhunt Offline
Campfire Ranger

The worst mistake that anyone can make on a hunting trip is--TO FORGET THE TOILET PAPER.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
Who's Online
223 registered (280shooter, 4th_point, 673, 257heaven, 26 invisible), 654 Guests and 258 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,283 Registered Members
72 Forums
687,737 Topics
9,934,399 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.