Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looks like there is a Monarch 3 coming out that hopefully will push the older ones a little lower. That said, would you guys go with a Revolution or a Monarch? Power range would be 2x8/7 or 3x9/10 and not too concerned with weight. Any opinions?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
revolution will be in the 50-75 less money range, and imo opinion is as nice or nicer than a monarch. I have owned a pile of each and would definitely buy the revolution...and it is made in the states smile

guns to me are like legal crack
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
get the redfield

Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm hoping for a non-biased comparison between the two without the "Made in America" issue creeping in. If you think the Redfield is 100% American made I think you are kidding yourself. "100% Assembled in America" I would believe. Besides, this "benefit" of the brand has no sway with me on whether or not a product is of proper quality.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have owned 2 Nikon Monarchs, one of the older "Team Primos" 3-9x40 models and the newer made in the Phillipines 2.5-10x42 models. Of those two the Team Primos model to my eyes had the better glass.

The Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 I put on my sons rifle is just as good optically as the older Monarch and to my eye better than the 2.5-10 Monarch I owned, and it is in a slimmer (eyepiece) configuration that just looks better to me when mounted on a rifle. It's not as good as my VX-3 or Conquest, but I wouldn't expect it to be either.

If you like to twist the turrets, the Nikon had usable turrets that, on my two examples, were very repeatable and would return to zero. The Redfield is not set up for that type of use.

Whether the Redfield is 100% made in America, I don't know,but if you were to ever have a problem with it, it's backed by Leupolds warranty.

Of the two you named, I would go with the Redfield with the Accu-Range reticle, and that's what I've done personally as I've sold or traded my Nikon's. Nikon will have to come up with something better optically and better looking to me for the money they charge for the Monarch line to get any more of my money.

Bob.

IC B2

Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the report Bob. Very helpful. I may have to give this Revolution a serious look. Only negative I've found on the Revolution is a reviewer stated the 2x7 has sparse real estate for mounting. I may have to go with the 3x9 instead as this would be going on a LA Winchester. How was the glare on the Redfield compared to the Monarch or even Conquest? Eyebox comparison by any chance? Thx

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i didnt have a monarch but had a nikon prostaff and glare was awful. i know the monarch is a bit better scope but that pretty much turned me off of nikon. i havent heard about any glare issues with the redfields

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Fifth,

I have a VX-1 2-7 and it is a shorter tube than the 3-9.

I don't have any direct comparisons between the 3 scopes for glare. I'm not an expert at optics other than to know what I see when I look through the product. I have seen glare in almost every scope I have owned depending on my relation to a rising or setting sun and try to set up in shade or either in a position so as to minimize the effects of that when I'm hunting. But I can't remember anything objectionable in any of the 3 mentioned scopes while hunting.

And don't get me wrong, if I could only have a Nikon Monarch for the rest of my days, it wouldn't stop me from hunting or shooting. But the glass in my examples were more like looking through wavy glass compared to my leupolds, the conquest, a Bushnell Elite and my Vortex Viper that I've compared them to.

The Redfield to me is very easy to get behind, as are most of the Leupold scopes that I have used. They are forgiving as to eye placement and position.

The Conquest I have, which is the 3-9x40, has good and constant eye relief, but it is touchy as to eye placement and it makes you have a consistant cheek weld. Plus I really like the Zeiss #20 reticle better than the standard duplex reticle in the Leo/Redfield's. I also liked the Nikon BDC reticle because the center reticle was thin, but the side bars are thick enough to see in lower light, whether you use or like the bdc circles or not.(The bdc circles however did match my 7-08 out to 400 yards, which is as far as I verified them.)

Bob.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i second that on the zeiss 3-9x40. i sold mine quick. eye placement was way too critical. always going black. im wondering if the zeiss hd5 eyebox is like that

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive got both the Revolution and a Monarch in 3x9...the monarch is about to hit the Classifieds....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Monarch has sharper, clearer glass. It is also heavier, has less eye relief and a large black circle around the edge of the image when you look through it.

The Redfield would be my choice. It isn't quite as sharp, but more than acceptable. The very narrow band of black around the edges, better eye relief and ligher weight are more important to me. A little cheaper to boot.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if you want a 2-7.... look at vortex diamond back. really wide FOW at 2x. otherwise look through the other 2 scopes up side by side and go with the one you like better.

Last edited by Dre; 06/06/13.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Fifth: Indeed that Redfield is made in America, by Americans who earn a living and benefits while working for an American owned company!
Some parts or maybe all the parts of these new Redfields may be made in foreign countries but make NO mistake Americans are depending on the sales of the Redfields for jobs and benefits!
I own several Nikon Monarch scopes but I bought exactly none of them new!
I think the Redfield lineup of scopes are good and perhaps VERY good scopes and are an excellent value for the money spent.
Buy American whenever possible - and that is something I simply won't overlook.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Fifth
Looks like there is a Monarch 3 coming out that hopefully will push the older ones a little lower. That said, would you guys go with a Revolution or a Monarch? Power range would be 2x8/7 or 3x9/10 and not too concerned with weight. Any opinions?

I believe the Monarch is much superior to the Redfield. I have owned both and no longer own a Redfield.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
i have two of the older Monarchs and 2 revolutions...optics?..

nikon hand down for me

can't say about the newer Monarchs

Last edited by Jglenn; 06/06/13.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No knowledge about the Redfield, but I share the same opinion about the older vs newer Nikons. I have owned and still own 1 of the newer SF models and to me my older Monarch UCC scopes have superior optics. The older UCC's are my favorite "Bang for the Buck" used scopes.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by killindeer
i didnt have a monarch but had a nikon prostaff and glare was awful. i know the monarch is a bit better scope but that pretty much turned me off of nikon. i havent heard about any glare issues with the redfields

I have owned a few monarchs and 2 pro staffs, and the monarchs were way clearer and brighter. One prostaff was so bad I just couldn't deal with it and sent it down the road. I havent used the redfield, but I've always been fond of the Manarch and don't feel the Pro-staff is of any comparison.

S
S
A very informative thread.
Unless things have changed in the past two years Leupold makes the Redfield in the same factory as the Leupold products, including glass.

I am an upper end Leupold kind of gent, never skimping on optics. However, I did purchase this Redfield from OpticsPlanet three years ago. It sits atop my NEF 45/70, legal for muzzle loader hunting in Mississippi.

I have collected three deer in low light one of which was at the dark side of dusk. I did not feel like I was at all hampered under these conditions.

I have not used any Nikon rifle scopes so I cannot comment good or ill, I can say that the Redfield has met my rather lofty expectations for entry level optics. I would buy another.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i just ordered some redfield binos. hope the binos r as good as the scopes

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just got a Monarch 3 in the mail today, looks to be very nice glass, time will tell.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.