Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
A few years back, a friend told me about a back packing/fishing trip down the lower Mokelumne River using USFS disposable sleeping bags. Apparently they are/were made from multiple layers of paper for insulation. Anybody know anything about these and where I might fine them ? E

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Haven't seen those thing for 40+yrs. My Father was a District Ranger for the USFS & they were used for firefighters overnight packs. If I remember correctly a light rain made them instantly disposable. Made out of glorified crepe paper. Good Luck!
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds combustible, what if all of your hand warmers light it on fire? smile

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've seen these in the early 90's while working on an fire crew. They dropped them in with an helicopter amongst other supplies. Basically they are crap because while on that fire it started snowing and they became worthless.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I saw those in a friend's basement some 50 years ago and his brother was in the BCFS. About 10 years later, while I was also in the BCFS, I worked with his brother and these had been phased out as they did not do too well in BC's typically "wet" climate.

Snow on a forest fire, yup, had it in June, July, August and always was VERY happy to see that happen! But, I have seen pretty bad wildfires from huge old Cedar stumps, lit by slashburning and buried under snow for the long winter and then, spring hot spell, some wind and whammo, burning like hell and a real shock to experience even before most of our Lookouts were up for the season.

Makes me kinda "misty" to remember those days, 20+ to almost 50 years ago, in detection and suppression for the BCFS and the Alberta Forest Service......tough, often lonely, VERY dangerous work and I would go back tomorrow.......

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Firefighters used to use them. Okay in warm temps. Forest has one r.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OPC, I didn't know you fought fire in the 90s.

I've spent a few nights in those bags on fires. When dry, they have more insulation value than a poncho, not as much as a poncho liner let alone a quilt or poncho liner made out of modern materials. They were pretty bulky too. It's been a lot of years, but I seem to remember a roll about a foot in diameter and 14" long. They were pretty light by the standards of the day, but at least a couple of pounds. A DWR shelled primaloft quilt or poncho liner beats those paper bags by a pretty fair margin in every way I can think of.

Sometimes I play the "how would I outfit myself these days if I was still a hotshot" game. For the weight of the GI poncho I used to carry, I could have a silnylon poncho AND a modern synthetic poncho liner.

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks, gentlemen. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I kept mine from my Fire crew days, got the upgraded one from a late season fire, its not bad for a 50 degree bag, I keep it in the truck for emergencys.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never heard of one! Tried to google up an image but came up blank. If anyone has an image I'd love to see it.

The things we come up with. smile

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (35, 257 mag, 338Rules, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 15 invisible), 1,306 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.