-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These days I�m pretty successful and kill one each year. It wasn�t always like that.
I could fill a book with my mistakes and the book would still be growing larger. I�ve probably formed a mental block on my very worst ones but these were some doosies.

Laid the crosshairs on the biggest bull I�d ever seen while holding a bull tag. Long but thin 6x7 antlers. �Click�. It was a sickening sound. I had been distracted when leaving the trailhead � too worried about making sure the younger hunters were set up properly and not paying attention to my own stuff. Not only was the chamber empty but the gun was unloaded! That bull was just unlucky. I somehow managed to fish a round from my pack, chamber it, and it found it�s mark.

Two nice bulls skirted the edge of a clearing I was hunting. I passed on a long shot because I knew my Dad and Brother were coming in from the other end of the clearing. The bulls walked straight into the ambush. I waited for the shot, � and waited. Nothing.
When I saw them later they said they decided to go another way.

Killed a cow on a steep grade. Since I was sure of my location I began dragging it downhill toward the trail. I was pleased with myself to have the cow right in the middle of the trail in one piece. It was the wrong trail. I ended up having to quarter it and hump it back up the same hill I�d just descended to get it back onto the correct trail.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Biggest mistake I ever made was not being in shape for the hunt.
mad

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sleeping in & missing 1st light.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I forgot the toilet paper once. Key word is "once".

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Sleeping in & missing 1st light.
dragging my ass out of bed before first light. grin

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunting buddy and I got 2 cows and a bull down on top of a mountain. We could see my truck through the binocs - barely. According to the maps it was 3 miles away on a straight line, somewhat further as we had to walk it.

Took out what we could the 1st day, straps and filets, hung the rest, then spent the next three days packing out what was left, bone out. Thankfully it was below freezing at night and the meat stayed cold.

I'll never forget picking up my pack the second day. It was the heaviest load and after laughing at my buddy trying to get up I immediately did a face plant in the snow. Redistributed the weight but was still barely able to walk with the weight. Took a few steps, figured I was making about 1 foot with each step, and already my legs were screaming "Enough!" Then the stupid engineer in me went to work - 3 miles times 5280 feet per mile, only about 15,840 more steps to go. Damn near killed us both.

Never again.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Missing the biggest bull I have ever seen. I badly misjudged how far away he was. This was before I had a rangefinder. I borrowed a rangefinder a couple days later. I thought the elk had been about 300 yds. Rangefinder said 440 yds.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How about when hunting 'European elk', aka moose? I was a tag-along on my partner's WY moose hunt. It was raining pretty hard & we had on rain gear, which doesn't help the hearing a bit. We sat on a log and he called a couple times. After about 15 min, we decided to move on. As we started walking away, all hell broke loose right behind us. A bull had sneaked in and was standing less than 20 yards right behind us and we hadn't heard him. Neither of us had turned around when we decided to move on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by raybass
Biggest mistake I ever made was not being in shape for the hunt.
mad

+1. I don't know if I'll ever be in "good enough" shape for elk hunting. I'd continue to hunt until I was tired I suppose. When my body gets tired, I make mental mistakes. I'm getting better (and still trying to get better) at eliminating those lazy mental mistakes that I make late in the day/late in the hunt. Grr.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess my worst mistake was just having a cow tag, and having opportunities to shoot bulls. I've enjoyed learning from all the mistakes.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Scopolamine
I guess my worst mistake was just having a cow tag, and having opportunities to shoot bulls. I've enjoyed learning from all the mistakes.

I did that once - but had I put in for bulls, I would probably have been sitting home with no tag at all. I had 7 really nice bulls in bow range before I got my first (and only) chance on a cow.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunting where there are no elk.. elk had left the area due to too many hunters flying up and down the roads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
(1) never go on an out of state elk hunt with several guys you don,t really know,for at least a year or more, and guys you have hunted with locally, because without fail at least one of them will be a lazy cheap bastard that won,t pull his weight or do his share of the work or pay his share of expenses as PREVIOUSLY AGREED TO IN EXPLICIT DETAIL, LONG before trip started.
once your on the out of state hunt , the circumstances tend to bring out the best or worst personality traits

(2)a good many times I could not afford both an elk and mule deer tags, and on those years when I just got the elk tag alone, it was almost an iron clad guarantee Id see a few real wall hanger mule deer.
but If I purchased a mule deer tag Id see dozens of crappy quality 3 and 4 point deer.

(3) not having snow chains and elastic cord clips almost always insured getting heavy snow.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
#1 picking a waiting spot that I "liked" verses a spot they like
#2 looking left, right, left when I should have looked left, right, right.
#3 failing to realize that a mature bull can walk behind a thin tree and never come out the other side

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by kass

#3 failing to realize that a mature bull can walk behind a thin tree and never come out the other side

I will add, the bull doesn't come out even when a cow elk, that the bull was following, did walk out the other side of said small tree only moments before.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Not "Hunting" every step of the way. Walking to a predetermined meadow and not hunting my way in cost me a chip shot at a herd bull. You have to assume there are elk every step of the way. I didn't in 2011 and walked up on the bull and his cows. They got a face full of human scent and made short work of picking them up and setting them down. Had I hunted my way in,watching the wind,things would likely have been different. But,I was headed to the meadow for my evening watch and figured it was too early in the evening to actually see elk. Won't make that mistake again!

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trusting my mare to let me walk up behind her on the narrow trail to turn her around. this happened going in to camp 2012[Linked Image]

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Oh DAMN! CoDave - you win. Hands down!

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Biggest mistake I've made (off the top of my head) is staying too long in an area that doesn't hold many elk. It's hard (for me at least) to leave an area that is historically good or has been good early in the season, even if I'm not seeing elk anymore.

Yeah, big bucks will do that to. Hell, little bucks will do it if I've decided I'm going to shoot them when they come out frown

Last edited by huntinaz; 06/07/13.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Had several not-being-ready-to-shoot facepalms. Can think of two different times that a cow stepped out w/i 100 yards of where I walked out onto a point just "to glass a bit" with a cow tag.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.