Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hello all:

Well with the Ho-Ho season upon us again I find my self yet again short on $$ for some family gift giving and am offering up a knife I commissioned the late Dick Patton to make for me back in 1996 and received it in 1997 (January, I believe it was, I could be off by a month or 3).

It is an exceptionally interesting and beautiful knife made by a long time knife maker, Dick Patton before his passing in 2010 IIRC.

It is called the "Mini Bowie" and that is the knife that was featured in the Movie "The Last of the Dogmen". I saw the knife really liked the proportions and tracked down the original maker and had Dick build me an exact copy of the knife out of ATS 34 steel and specified that it have the most gorgeous flame maple stocks he could come across (also called fiddleback or tiger maple for obvious reasons). I believe he well exceeded my expectations. He had a nearly year long wait list at the time.

The "Mini Bowie" Knife design won "Best camp knife" in Denver in 1999 for Mr. Patton. He also was noted for making edged weapons on "the Last of the Mohicans" as I understand and he was a fine man to work with, and a pleasure chatting with. I was quite sorry to hear of his passing a couple years back.

It has the scales held on by 6 brass pins and has a brass lined lanyard loop hole. The knife has the same sheath as was used in the movie (though in black here) and is very easy to open with just a flick of the thumb on the sturdy leather tab. It also has a brass finger guard and off set thumb grooves on the top spine of the blade just forward of the finger guard.

I paid Dick $450.00 shipped and would like to get that out of it, for the knife and custom black leather sheath and it is in as new condition, never sharpened by me and never used for cutting, just taken out of the snug fitted sheath and ogled from time to time as I viewed it as hand held art.

Enclosed are a some pix and I will let the pictures do the talking as the express it better than I can:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee186/achildofthesky/DSC02258_zps0089b278.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee186/achildofthesky/DSC02269_zpsa4069d1d.jpg[/img]

I am not too swift with putting pix up here and if this doesn't work I can email to seriously interested folks. It seems that photobucket has been taken over and all my pix dumped so I am on flickr now FWIW.

It really pains me to part with this fine blade, but family is family and I want to make them smile with a few unexpected baubles 'neath the tree...

Heres my sincere hopes you and yours have a safe and wonderful Holiday Season and thanks for looking.

Be safe and best wishes to all.
Patty

Last edited by achildofthesky; 12/21/12.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Patty, I can't get your link to work. Dick was a great guy. I got him to make me this one before he moved back south.
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Greg
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Patty, nothing coming up at that link. Try reading through this thread. It will explain exactly how to get your pics up.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/696239/1/How_to_post_your_photos

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for the link, I will grab some coffee and give it a try...

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
http://s230.beta.photobucket.com/user/achildofthesky/library/

Let's see if this works after a healthy bolus of coffee...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope these help. The link at the top is the album. It seems that photobucket just had to be cajoled and loved to work again...

Be safe
Patty

Last edited by achildofthesky; 12/21/12.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
And a few more...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the help getting what should be childs play done (;->)

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction on the pix posting, guess I got pretty rusty being laid up....

Be safe
Patty

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good looking knife, and you are welcome. Good luck with your sale.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice blade. I like the profile and especially, the fiddleback. He really was an artist. RIP.

Eric

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Eric:

Thanks. I thought he did an especially fine job on this one.

Be safe and Merry Christmas to all!
Patty

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
A long time since listed bump for a fine quality one of a kind (stock wood & blade metal), fine cutting instrument.

Price drop to $425.00 shipped and I am bleeding (mentally) from having to list this again. Last time around it was for xmas $$, we are now purchasing a home for our retirement and thus it is back on the sale block at a reduced price. Hoping to find one of Dick Patton's creations a good appreciative home. I am sorry to several that made offers prior, but my PM box got purged awhile back. More pix at:

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/achildofthesky/library/?sort=6&page=1

I also listed two very dear leverguns and a H&R single shot 45-70 on Marlinowners.com (please feel free to check the ad's there if an original 2004 Marlin 336 Spiikehorn, a Marlin 1895 LTD III 45-70/1 of 1000 - the companion in my mind to this knife in concept if not stock material, and a H&R single shot 45-70 interest anyone) in hopes of generating some retirement home purchase funds. It sucks to have to list items like this but priorities are, well, err, priorities...

Be safe and thank you for looking. Have a fine evening to all.
Patty

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pm sent

Molan Labe
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Knife is sold...

Thanks for looking
Patty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
712 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.