Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Happy 1000!!!!!!!!!!!
Tell us your experience with adapters. They seem like such a natural for our Combos and Drillings. I'm a real fan of them, especially for my drillings and combo guns. I've got Einstecklaufs for my drillings. For me accuracy has been surprisingly good. Mine are in 22 WRM. I've found Lothar Walther adapters to shoot 22 LR's in my 9.3x74. Accuracy has been good enough for 25 yard squirrel shots with that, but not in the range of the Einstecklauf. I've got a Hammond Game Getter for my 8mm that is amazingly accurate. I'm now searching for a 22 RF adapter that will fit in my 8mm barrel of my Leopard Gun. Both PA and VA rules don't allow larger than 22 RF for small game hunting. So it's the new toy I'm looking for.

Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Last time I asked, ATF was still not allowing the importation of Walther inserts for some unknown reason. Wonder when the last time one of those was used in the commission of a crime? (My guess....NEVER.).

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Kreighoff 22LR and mag inserts. They are accurate and repeat well when removed and re-inserted. I prefer the shorter ones, as I carry them out of the gun, usually. The short ones aren't cumbersome to carry that way, but those 14" ones are.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

THE LONGER VERSION
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My only problem with adaptors....you guessed it: cost! Only the good ones mentioned above are worth having, and they are expensive. Sad how that works!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can usually find some for 16 and 12 gauge in 22 mag for around $150.00.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Not bad; I'll start looking for a 12.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
M
When shopping online for multiple items, consider using one online retailer rather than multiple retailers.

Last edited by Montgomery; 06/11/13.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
My comments may not be speaking of the higher level some would refer to as 'refined' firearms, yet they cover barrel adaptors.

Long ago had a nice German Simson drilling, 12x12-8.57JRS, in which used a Krieghoff .22 LR short adaptor, standard grade. Krieghoff has 2 grades, standard and extra. Using the claw mounted scope, from a bench rest, was able to hit the bottom of a spent 12 gauge shell consistently at 25 yards. A good friend wound up with the drilling...it has been in a good hunting home ever since.

A question I would have for someone wanting a barrel adaptor is: what will it be used for? Small game hunting? Informal plinking and inexpensive practice? If for small game hunting at short range (under 40 yards, say) then maximum accuracy is desired. If informal plinking and inexpensive practice, or to allow a youngster or small size individual to fire a combination gun/shotgun, then the requirement for accuracy may become a secondary factor?

Another use: say you've shot your deer, it's down but still alive, and we all want to not see harvested game suffer. There you are, standing over the wounded deer, cradling your fine drilling in your hands. hmmm, 12 ga load is way over kill and messy. 8x57JRS full hunting load is a bit much at the muzzle. So you reach into your pocket n' remove the 12 ga adaptor (same dimensions as a factory 2 3/4" shell) in .22LR (.22 mag; 9mm; .38 Spcl; or ?), inserting it into the camber and humanely dispatch the deer. Many uses for adaptors there are.

In 1975 I bought my first barrel adaptor, from Shell Shrinker, in Texas (they are long out of business), a special order being 18" long, 12 ga, and chambered for .45-70. I use it in a non-fancy old single barrel 12 ga. This adds another level of use with that old single barrel, having put a Williams barrel ramp n' Redfield Sourdough Partridge front sight, and then a receiver peep sight on. When using this type of adaptor in a side-x-side or over/under, and say my 18" .30-40 Krag adaptor, I now have a combination gun.

Over the years I've befallen to GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) with barrel adaptors! At last count have 18 barrel adaptors of various chambering's and lengths, all 12 ga, though have had some 20 ga as well. Not an often found item are these adaptors.

Some adaptors I have/use are: all steel with 2 3/4" 12 ga shell dimensions - in .22LR, 9mm, .45 ACP (Anchorage, Alaska PD use to use these for 12ga pump shotgun practice/training, as they feed through a pump just as a standard 12 ga factory load does). I've a leather shotgun shell belt pouch that holds five 2 3/4" size steel adaptors, all in .38/.357 - bought 'em because they were unique, haven't really used 'em. I've other adaptors: 8"/.44 magnum; 16" long/.357; 18" .30-30; 18" .30-40 Krag; 18"/.45-70.
Even found one that's brass n' made for using .50-70 blanks in a 12 ga, for use in movies to make noise! Makes an interesting paperweight - but it is an adaptor. There are a few others, and a couple of duplicates. Let's not forget the older Savage 410'er tubes either.

Using loads they like, and especially returning the adaptor to the same exact position in the chamber, these will work for small game under 40 yards, and with some, deer at 70-80 yards. Some grouping better than others.

At present I'm aware of two places that you will be able to buy barrel adaptors of the type I'm mentioning (yes there are trap n' skeet custom ones out there also). Most likely there are other places that I'm not aware of?

1. http://www.mcace.com/ I knew Ace in the mid-90's and have some of his adaptors - his lineage with adaptors traces clear back to Shell Shrinker and then Sports Specialties. In 1996 he'd made a set of .22 Hornet long barrel adaptors for a customer to convert a .410 double barrel in to a double rifle! Now wouldn't that be a dandy lil' setup! Even if you don't really use adaptors, you should at least look through Ace's web site for the knowledge of what can be done with barrel n' chamber adaptors. Well worth reviewing it is.

2. http://www.gunadapters.com/ I'm aware of these folks, but haven't gotten any adaptors from them 'yet'! I hope to visit their shop sometime this summer.

Like the used car salesman said, "There's an ass for every seat!" I'm sure there's interest at all levels out there for the use of barrel adaptors - even if some folks don't realize it yet!

Adaptors are another way to enhance the enjoyment of our hobby and the use of firearms in the field.

Hope this has been of some help to others.
outsidebear

Last edited by outsidebear; 06/11/13.

Do good out there...
B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Does anyone have experience with the MCACE rimfire adapters in rifles? I bought one for a Model 24 in 222/20, but sold the gun before the adapter arrived. It's sitting safely on my shelf. Just curios what kind of accuracy to expect. I would mostly use if for squirrel hunting and to just shoot to work on my hold and tigger pull.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

587 members (22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,632
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.