Scott, that is one sharp truck Sir.

Thank you sir, sure drives nice.

Scott

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes they do. I test drove one a couple years ago and they are nice. I loved the low end torque of the engine, but I just couldn't buy another new Ford engine. Oh well, I do love my Tundra.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Yes they do. I test drove one a couple years ago and they are nice. I loved the low end torque of the engine, but I just couldn't buy another new Ford engine. Oh well, I do love my Tundra.

When I was test driving trucks last year it came down to the Tundra and F150. I liked the interior in the F150 a little better but liked the Tundra's powertrain a little better. In the end, Toyota made a better deal and I went with the Tundra. I probably would have been just as happy with the Ford.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Just installed the billet over the big hole where the air intake is when they move the license plates to the side.

Scott

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
government motors? Keep on supporting the assh*le that bailed them out.

[Linked Image]

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
IC B2

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
government motors? Keep on supporting the assh*le that bailed them out.

[Linked Image]

Exactly!

Scott

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Scott, not sure how much air is blocked in your inlet, but Ford recommends at least 95% airflow to the CAC.

Just a thought, once again sharp truck.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is billet just thin bars shouldn't be an issue can't see it reducing air at all.

Scott

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Powerguy
Scott, not sure how much air is blocked in your inlet, but Ford recommends at least 95% airflow to the CAC.

Just a thought, once again sharp truck.

Had to do something that big gap looked like crap, will read up on it. Thanks

Scott

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Powerguy
Here is a chart showing various torque/rpm numbers, I can see why the tundra shifts easily out of 6th.

High HP/TQ numbers don't impress me at 3,000+ rpm's , all they are good for is sales.

Give me some torque at 70mph1850 rpm's now were talking.

Scroll down

http://www.f150forum.com/f82/towing-ecoboost-4x4-crew-cab-211553/index3/

Interesting...

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Never gave torque/ hp charts much thought until I started looking for a new truck.

My way of thinking is that hp/ torque is not very useable if one needs to go to 3500+ Rpm's to get it.

Just put 400 on the truck today at 75 mph with rolling hills ( Alabama coast- north Alabama) Rpm's ran at 1900 and the truck never shifted out of 6th.

To me that is useable torque.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

These had to come off.

Scott

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
Fords are demon trucks, worst pieces of crap ever foisted on the American public. Last one I owned had more recalls than the French Army. Thing finally died on the freeway when it burst into flame. Same with the fleet of Ford crap the county occasionally bought. Dodge Rams always putted around, we tried to kill them, but they just wouldn't die. Chevy's ran reliably, Jeep Cherokees too, really reliable and great off road. The Fords were weird. Had one F-550 with the diesel in a garbage packer, damn thing would die when turning the steering wheel left. Whole dash would would quit, engine would die, wouldn't restart for awhile. Not good when turning across lanes of traffic. Turned out to be a short in the steering column. Nah, Fords are disasters.

Ecoboost=recall: http://blogs.automotive.com/recall-...ng-power-during-acceleration-139609.html

Junk, junk, junk. Ford always overreaches when designing engines, last engine they made that was sort of reliable was the flathead, or the 292 cid V-8, that thing could literately be kept running with baling wire and vice grips. I remember the Power Jokes, especially the 6.0. Some snapped crankshafts, but most just didn't work due to foaming oil failing to activate the injectors. They had more problems than a Hollywood actress with a 5th of Jack and a few snorts of blow. A little V6 that tries to act like a big engine, gonna break, sorry.

Now my 4x4 Sierra 2500 HD with the DuramMax diesel and Alison transmission, a crew cab no less, weighing in at 6,700 pounds without me aboard, will do 17-21 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. It all depends on winter or summer fuel, terrain, going uphill or down, wind, and how much ammo I'm carrying. It has 364 HP and 650 ft lbs of torque at 1,800 rpm in stock guise, and does not slow down on hills. Even the Ram with a Cummins is a better truck than anything Ford makes. Hell, a DR power wheelbarrow with a Briggs and Stratton rope start one-lunger is better. F-150, we all know what the 'F' stands for, the 150 is how many times you'll have it done to you, unless you pick up a 250 or 350, then Kattie bar the door.

The older Ford cars and wagons I owned, and they number five, plus a Mercury, were absolutely the best. They could run with more parts missing than a retired NFL linebacker, simply the best cars made. laugh

I had just the opposite experience. I bought and Chebby and it lived at the dealership. I think I took it in for warranty work over 30 times, fan clutches, AC, seats, timing, tranny, cooling, cruise, brakes, paint...

I bought a new superduty and it NEVER has been to the dealership for warranty work. There was a recall on the wiper motor that I let them change as well as the cam position sensor recall. I have replaced the water pump and front wheel bearings. Everything else I have done to it is maintenance such as brakes and batteries.

I wouldn't give Govt motors one more of my dimes if they made the best 5 trucks on the market. I am due in a year or two for another and it will be a Ford or a Toyota. I think I am done with diesel.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drove Ford trucks exclusively from 1974 until 2003, six of them. V8s, straight 6s, diesels, you name it. Never took one in for a recall and the only non-maintenance repair was a broken axle housing on an F-150 4x4 back in the days when I drove them really fast and hard in rough country.

In 2003, we bought a GMC diesel with the Allison transmission that got about 2/3 the mileage of the Ford diesel that we had traded in. After a couple of years, we traded it and got a GMC with the 6.0 liter gas engine that got even worse mileage. We now have a 2005 Tacoma with 225,000+ miles on the odometer and a 2012 Tundra that gets better mileage than either of the GMCs did. I am probably buying Toyotas from now on.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would suggest you watch the Ford with the Eco-Boost and see how it does over the long haul. I bought a new Tundra two years ago (and I'm very happy with it)but could have easily bought an Eco-Boost if it hadn't been so new in the F-150.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I bought a 2011 Eco Boost crew cab this January. It was a low mileage trade in( only had 2500 miles on it) in 2 wd. I was looking for one with a 5.0 liter engine but found this on at a good deal for what was practically a brand new truck.

I was not sure about he turbos and read the same negative reports about them on the Internet. The same reports are repeated on every forum.

Want to start a fight........talk about Ford vs Chevy or bring up Leupold on the optics forum!!!!!

I spoke to some ford mechanics at the dealer and they said they haven't had any in the shop for turbo problems, and since it was a certified pre owned unit it came with a 100k mile power train warranty, so I figured I'd take a chance.

I live in Mobile AL. So not much for hills around here. My combined average gas mileage is 16.3 over 7500 miles. I am averaging 22-23 on the hwy but usually set the cruise on 70 when on the interstate. A headwind will keep you around 19 but a tailwind wind boost you up pretty good. On a 600 mile trip with mostly hwy miles but some in city stop and go for a day mixed in I averaged just over 19mpg.

It does not like to downshift as stated earlier. I sset the cruise on 50 to avoid a ticket on a local hwy and went over a bridge that was fairly steep. It never downshifted or acted like it was in a strain.

So far so good for my ecoboost, but I don't use my vehicles hard. Hoping it lasts at least 10 years before I have to worry about anything.

Bob.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I won't get into the argument as it is the same old Dodge, Chev, and Ford deal. My Duramax has 275,000 miles and the turbo has not taken a $hit. I have replaced the rear pads, alternator, and waterpump and the belt. I am speaking about my truck only. I have had some that were a POS and others that were OK. Last Ford that I had I put a 460 in. It was a good truck, but I didn't really like it. Last Dodge that I had and the only Dodge PU was a 64 model slant 6 with 3 speed, no PS, and no A/C. I sure didn't keep it long, but one of my employees said it is still going strong in Mexico.
I can't afford a new one every 2 years like in the old days, but based on my Duramax and what my shop sees on a daily basis, I guess I would buy another. I would consider an eccoboost.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 3,074 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.