Print Thread
Hop To
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Was over at the Sportsman's Whorehouse, perusing their empty shelves and saw a couple of boxes of the Barnes 95 grain TTSX..

Got home and checked out their data on line... between 3700 to 3750 fps possibilities!

Anyone use this combo yet?

Sure looks like a load that will really reach out there and touch something ( as the old AT&T commercials use to say..))

They had load data with RL 17 and AA 2700...

anyone tried it with any other powders?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well no, not the TSX, but have used the 90g Sierra HP which does 3600fps pretty easily.

No doubt the TSX would penetrate better but I think a lot of people would be surprised how effective the 90g HP is on medium game including pigs of decent size. So if they shoot hunting accurate, the TSX would in my opinion be a fine medium game round including good sized deer.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Will the 90 gr HP stay together at 3600 FPS on deer?
I like the idea of the 270 reaching those kind of vel. and would like more info.

thanks

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm in the same shoes as you sea fire ...got the bullets but can't get to the range. Online info and performance reports are exciting. Now, I'm really glad one of the "fires best loaders" is on the case!
Please keep us up to date on your progress.
The 270 used to be boring but now thanks to the 6.8 we've got some lightwt Screamers in the ttsx and accubond that give us alot of variety!

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bobnob17
Well no, not the TSX, but have used the 90g Sierra HP which does 3600fps pretty easily.

No doubt the TSX would penetrate better but I think a lot of people would be surprised how effective the 90g HP is on medium game including pigs of decent size. So if they shoot hunting accurate, the TSX would in my opinion be a fine medium game round including good sized deer.

Bob,

Americans seem to look at hunting bullets different than folks in other parts of the world...

however I tend to be in the camp of opinion that you find more Aussies in than Americans.... think it has to do with common sense and practicality...

not to disrespect my fellow countrymen, but I have seen a lot of success with the 90 grain HP Sierra and the 90 grain TNT Speer on deer...

over the last 10 years I have taken a lot of boys out for their first deer hunt or have loaded ammo for them to use, where full factory spec loads will kick the snot out of them and make them afraid of the rifle's recoil...

a good candidate to 'break them in' is the old 270 and using Sierra and Speer 90 grain HPs.... granted for the boys, I have not ratcheted them up to full velocity potential.. but 30 grains of 4198 and a 90 grain HP, have done a quick smack down on multiple deer by these boys, being their first deer...

have no doubt that winding up the velocity a little more should have no real adverse affect on lethality of these bullets... we all know it starts out with shot placement...

in the 260, have personally dropped deer with the 85 grain Sierra HP.. and admit a 270/08 with 90 to 110 grain bullets would be a fun and capable cartridge... especially with the bullets hitting the streets for the 6.8 SPC....

but even with new cartridges hitting the boulevard, few folks stateside seem to think the older bullets that have been around for eons will work well...

those 90 grain HPs by Speer and Sierra are often overlooked as a decent deer bullet....this 95 grain TTSX out to be a big step up tho in capability for bigger stuff than deer, or be a long range hammer for deer...

the 3700 to 3750 fps MV figures I got were off of Barnes web site...for those inquiring minds...

IC B2

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kraky111
I'm in the same shoes as you sea fire ...got the bullets but can't get to the range. Online info and performance reports are exciting. Now, I'm really glad one of the "fires best loaders" is on the case!
Please keep us up to date on your progress.
The 270 used to be boring but now thanks to the 6.8 we've got some lightwt Screamers in the ttsx and accubond that give us alot of variety!

will do Kraky...

and thanks for the kudos....seems I get more criticizing on some of the work I do, from some of these other on line key board commandos than I do compliments any more... albeit they usually come from a small but vocal crowd...

from some of those that claim that I don't 'get my [bleep] off the couch' so they can feel more accomplished and macho about themselves...

back on topic tho.... since that bullet ought to be the length of a 130 or close to it... and those kind of velocity potential, with that sort of construction and weight retention... I see that as a bad ass combo....

a little testing will bear that out... I'm even thinking that MV and into the vitals on a good sized elk, the big boy won't be running too far..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I must say I am also very curious how they will affect game colliding with them at such high velocity, I'm almost tempted to get some myself, very exciting. Let me know how they work out fellas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SAUMHUNTER79
I must say I am also very curious how they will affect game colliding with them at such high velocity, I'm almost tempted to get some myself, very exciting. Let me know how they work out fellas.

A bit different, but I used to use the original 75gr X bullet out of a .257 Wby at a chronographed velocity of just under 4000fps. It did a number on hogs and whitetail deer. The wound channel was almost as if a drill had gone through there and removed a plug of tissue.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Arac...I can't believe there were too many pedals intact after impact but even a blunt nosed projectile at that speed would have to "shock the crap" out of surrounding tissue!
Can you describe after hit reactions on your poor test subjects LOL!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I never shot a deer with one, but I slammed some 80 grain TTSXs out of a 25-06 into water jugs at >3600 and they came out like magazine ads. No shed petals.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The ttsxs seem to hang onto pedals better than their predesesors. A guy did some testing on cow femurs here a while back and a 130 ttsx/308 hung onto the pedals at 3500+ into those heavy bones...but you still see pics of naked ones too. I actually think the hornady gmx "might" be even better than the ttsx on high speed impact but I haven't gotten accuracy from them like the Barnes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kraky111
Arac...I can't believe there were too many pedals intact after impact but even a blunt nosed projectile at that speed would have to "shock the crap" out of surrounding tissue!
Can you describe after hit reactions on your poor test subjects LOL!

I never recovered a bullet, so I can't really say what they looked like. The game did not react in any special way after being hit - it was just like being hit with a regular bullet at regular velocity. Some bang-flops and some moving off a short distance. If memory serves me correctly there wasn't that much blood shot meat either. The wound channel through the lungs of the big bodied buck I shot was very interesting - you could hold the lungs up and see right through the hole! That buck went about 10 yards after being hit - broadside double lung - and there was a fair amount of blood on the snow plus a big tuft of fur at the point of impact on the off-side.

I should add that Barnes shows the new 80gr TTSX approaching and exceeding 3800fps out of a .25-06 with IMR 4350, Hybrid100V etc. That would be a neat deer load.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
95gns in a 270 is kickass fast. most of my 270's that i've owned over the years did not like that light a bullet,but you put a 100-110 in most 270's and they will out shoot alot of good varmit rifles.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've got some 110 accubonds here too. Wish I could get out shooting. For those who haven't seen the jacket on these it is VERY impressive...
http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=18940

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't have experience with the 95 ttsx from the 270 win, but have used the 85 tsx at around 3750-3800 in a couple rifles. It works delightfully on deer and antelope. They shoot really well also.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have used the Hornady 110 gr HP out of my 270's in the 70's to smoke a lot of Ground Hogs but never used them on deer . The 95 gr Barnes i use in my 6.8 SPC . If you want them to scream then load them in the 270 WSM . They would be pure poison on Whitetail Deer

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.