Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
HP Pavilion (15 months old) - hard drive going to fail - Got a new one coming and the recovery disks..

Is this gonna be a pita to change out/install? Or should I have my son do it?

laugh laugh

And just WHY do hard drives only last a year or so?? mad

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Desktop HD install is easy, anyboyd can do it. If it's laptop, that's a bt more difficult but doable at home also.

OK, looked it up, apparently laptop. Do a search on it, there could be a how to for your model somewhere on youtbe or such. Some HD can be replaced just by pullng them out.

http://pcrepaircourse.blogspot.com/2010/08/hp-pavilion-n5445-hard-drive.html

Last edited by Czech_Made; 06/20/13.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
This is a desktop - so it should be a piece of cake.. IIRC, I just open up the case, (power cord unplugged, naturally), find the hard drive (easy), ground myself and pull out the wiring plug, remove a few screws and reverse the process for the new one..

That's the easy part. - then it's gonna take a few days to restore all the data and load software.. Grrr..

Damned PCs - nearly hafta replace 'em every year to keep 'em going..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
How do you know the HD is failing?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Invest in a cheap external HD. You can get a 1Tb drive for under $60. Use it as a back-up for cases just like this. It plugs into one of your available USB ports. Copy your OS and files to it then transfer to the new HD when installed.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
IC B2

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
How do you know the HD is failing?
Message comes up warning me of imminent hard drive failure.. I've had my suspicions that's the case for a while now anyway..

Originally Posted by DownWind
Invest in a cheap external HD. You can get a 1Tb drive for under $60. Use it as a back-up for cases just like this. It plugs into one of your available USB ports. Copy your OS and files to it then transfer to the new HD when installed.
I tried a few 'cheap' external hard drives and THEY lasted only a few months and turned into, um, used electronic parts.. The WORST one was a Western Digital.. What a pos..

Nope. BTDT, never again.. I got a full set of recovery disks for $16 and Carbonite's backing up all the other files.. I should be good to go once this new HD is put in place..

Might use the old one for target practice.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
That sounds more like spyware or a virus. I work in IT and have never seen anything like that. Can you do a screen shot and post it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never seen a warning screen either....just hum along and one day the blue screen of death.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hard drives should last much more than 18 months unless you leave it running full time in a dusty room. I have seen them fail though.. even in big storage arrays from top name vendors you get a few that fail out.

Swapping drives is easy, reinstalling the O/S is a pain in the neck. Figure on most of a full day of applying updates, rebooting, applying updates, rebooting, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. Put antivirus software on immediately after the reinstall is finished before you start doing updates. It will slow things down, but it's better than getting infected and having to repeat the entire process in a couple of weeks or months.

+1 on external hard drive to back your stuff up to.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 257wby
I've never seen a warning screen either....just hum along and one day the blue screen of death.

Many newer computers have disk monitoring built in.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...prodTypeId=321957&objectID=c01443502

HP Notebook PCs - SMART Hard Disk Error
This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with the HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) beginning in late-2008.
On startup, you may see an error message like the following:
The SMART hard disk check has detected an imminent failure.
To ensure no data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know what you do to 'puters but mine is 8 years old and still on the original HD, and all the other components. I do use dry air to blow all the dust out once a month as well as file cleaning app & defrag.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I don't know why you are having so many hard drive problems. We have an external hard drive that has been going for over 4 years now without a problem. Laptop is over 5 years.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Might use the old one for target practice..

I was at our local range one evening when a gentleman pulled in, placed a PC, keyboard, and monitor on large boulder bounding the parking lot, and had at it with near a full box of 12ga #4's. He subsequently gathered up and dumpstered all the pieces, loaded up, and left without ever uttering a word.

I sense he was dealing with some similar frustration.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just put this pc together not long ago and out of nowhere my SSD that I put the OS and a few programs on red-lined.

Did a little digging and found it was Google Earth doing it. I had to uninstall and reinstall a few times along with dumping the memory and hd cache in Google Earth options regularly..also decreased the allowable amount.

Google Earth is having problems with this according to Google Search.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Hard drives should last much more than 18 months unless you leave it running full time in a dusty room. I have seen them fail though.. even in big storage arrays from top name vendors you get a few that fail out.

There are two camps on leaving the computer on 24/7 or shutting down every day. I do the latter, what do you guys do?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Shut down.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
That sounds more like spyware or a virus. I work in IT and have never seen anything like that. Can you do a screen shot and post it?

I already called HP and they verified that the disk is going.. This PC is in my shop and yes, it's dusty/dirty in here and it's in use at least 8-10 hours/day all week long..

Originally Posted by T LEE
I don't know what you do to 'puters but mine is 8 years old and still on the original HD, and all the other components. I do use dry air to blow all the dust out once a month as well as file cleaning app & defrag.
I'm lucky that way... (NOT)

Originally Posted by EWY
I don't know why you are having so many hard drive problems. We have an external hard drive that has been going for over 4 years now without a problem. Laptop is over 5 years.

Ernie
Actually had TWO external hard drives and both took a dump before the PC's hard disk failed.. Those things, in my case anyway, are simply a waste of money, time and aggravation..

Computer's trying to do a full backup right now. I tried yesterday and the 'backup failed'.. Probably because the HD's going to pot.. I'll find out soon enough.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shut down, and I'm typing this on a 10 year old workstation.

I had a newer unit that I always shut down too. A year ago a coworker thought he would do me a favor and turned it on in my absence for an overnight software download. When I returned in the AM I noticed it was powered up, but a surge had fried the motherboard.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/20/13.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck
HP Pavilion (15 months old) - hard drive going to fail - Got a new one coming and the recovery disks..

Is this gonna be a pita to change out/install? Or should I have my son do it?

laugh laugh

And just WHY do hard drives only last a year or so?? mad

10 min job to change it out , you will lose all the stuff on the present hard drive if you don't have it backed up on another disk drive or online site like Norton

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bea175

10 min job to change it out , you will lose all the stuff on the present hard drive if you don't have it backed up on another disk drive or online site like Norton
Kinda figured that.. (10 mn job).

I'm using Carbonite - so it's all backed up off-site..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1badf350, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,106
Posts18,464,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.