-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have not read one since Peter Kokalis left. Late 1970's thru the 90's had fairly decent info though.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Fred Reed worked for them for a while.

I suspect his writeup about it is fairly accurate.

http://www.fredoneverything.net/PlayboySOF.shtml

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

A later colleague of mine pretty accurately described my boss as "equal parts idiot and ass hole."

Oh how I can and will use that description in the future! I know a few...:)

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
been a subscriber for the better part of 25 yrs

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by KFWA
I always figured back in the day (prior to the internet) subscribing to Soldier of Fortune magazine was a quick way to get a file with your name on it in the FBI

I read it when I was a teenager...then I grew up.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by krupp
Have not read one since Peter Kokalis left. Late 1970's thru the 90's had fairly decent info though.

Yup, a GREAT "Mud Check" on places one might be called on to visit, working in the ex-pat theater. Their monthly evaluations of hot spots proved to be good intel for planning and preparation.

Gotta' say that I paid a LOT more attention to what SOF and WHO had to say about areas of prospective activity than the "State Department" or Embassies of ANY Nation.

.....it's a jungle out there,....make it back intact and healthy.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by Pete E
" � Odd good article, but mostly seemed to be aimed at the "Wannabe's".

The pics seemed to show guys in fatigues, complete with "Magnum" 'taches, but were somehow more "Village People" than ex-USMC or similar.

When I lived in Los Angeles, I had a good friend who had been a Marine in a recon platoon, serving in Vietnam. He was wounded twice. After his service, he later became a successful documentary producer in L.A.

He told me he went to one of the SoF conventions in Las Vegas, thinking he might run into some former Marines he knew. I believe it was the second or third one they put on.

He said he was wearing a nice sport coat, button down shirt, slacks, polished shoes, etc. Everyone there was wearing cammies and most were overweight, and far too young to have been in Vietnam. The few he talked to had not even been in the military but were sporting all the "wannabee" accessories. �

I've always liked the sobriquet that one of the guys at Brownell's hung on such pretenders �

Cabbage-Patch Commandos

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used to read it when it first came out, this was in the late 70's/early 80's and I was a Screaming Eagle at the time; most of the articles were about mercenaries in Rhodesia.

I knew some of the writers(served with them), knew of the guys they wrote about, and knew a few guys who went to Rhodesia upon ETS.

I remember some guys waited eagerly for each issue, and then bought all of the latest kill gear. I will credit(blame) SoF for the adoption of the M92 Beretta.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for this link!! That was a good read! I wish he would have mentioned Leroy Thompson. I wonder what his opinion of Leroy was???

Originally Posted by Bristoe
Fred Reed worked for them for a while.

I suspect his writeup about it is fairly accurate.

http://www.fredoneverything.net/PlayboySOF.shtml

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I loved SoF in the old days! They also put out a sister publication called "Survive", which catered to the survivalist movement, now called "preppers" in or politically correct, enlightened world. I've been working over the past few years to locate and purchase the entire run of "Survive", and have pretty much accomplished that goal. Now I have the urge to start picking up old issues of SoF for nostalgias sake. The early issues were pretty heady stuff, just reading it made you feel more manly somehow. Oops! "manly" wouldn't be politically correct anymore, would it?

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,467
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.