Print Thread
Hop To
X
xbolt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
I currently have a xbolt stainless 338 win mag right handed I had for 3 years now but I'm a left handed shooter. My friend is willing to buy my current rifle wonce I find a left handed x bolt originally in a 338 as well but the gun so long! It would be nice to have a shorter gun but I'm bit sceptical of the 325 wsm's performance on moose compared to the 338. what do you guys think! Enny 325 short mag owners with some experiance?

Xbolt

Last edited by xbolt; 06/20/13.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I doubt any Moose will notice the difference. You could always have the extra 2" of barrel trimmed and re crowned. I'd stick to the .338 if it were me. The .338 Win isn't going anywhere, I wouldn't be so sure about the .325 WSM. If you want a WSM I'd go with the .300 WSM which would also kill Moose quite handily.

Isaiah 6:8

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by xbolt
I currently have a xbolt stainless 338 win mag right handed I had for 3 years now but I'm a left handed shooter. My friend is willing to buy my current rifle wonce I find a left handed x bolt originally in a 338 as well but the gun so long! It would be nice to have a shorter gun but I'm bit sceptical of the 325 wsm's performance on moose compared to the 338. what do you guys think! Enny 325 short mag owners with some experiance?

Xbolt
.......................I`ll pass along some info to you.

My buddy whom I reload for has a 338 Federal chambered in a shorty 16.5 barreled Ruger Frontier compact. He liked my short, fast `n handy Frontier and bought one. About three years ago he took a nice bull moose with that rifle from about 140 yards.

I am very inclined to believe without any reservation, that a 325 WSM from even that same barrel length and surely from a 20" barrel length (if you want a shorter/handier rifle), that it will have no issues turning any moose into moose meat as long as you do your part and place the shot where it needs to go.

If you wish a 325 WSM, I wouldn`t worry about the diameter difference between the 338 vs the 325.

Given the same barrel length and bullet weights, the 325 WSM is more potent than is a 338 Federal by approx 275-350 fps.

Even though I have not used my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier on moose, I wouldn`t hesitate using it on any moose. Ballistically or performance wise, it is on par with a 26" barreled 30-06 that is condensed down to a rifle length of 35.5".

So if you want a shorter rifle chambered in a 325 WSM to use for moose hunting,,,,then have at it.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've never shot a moose, and likely never will, but I can look at ballistics charts and loading manuals. I just don't get the 325 WSM. The 300 WSM shoots the same bullet weights to the same speeds. I don't see how .017" of bullet diameter could possibly matter at any range. But the better BC of .308 bullets at the same weight has to improve performance at longer ranges.

I have no reason to believe either wouldn't work, but see the 325 as a step in the wrong direction.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've never shot a moose, and likely never will, but I can look at ballistics charts and loading manuals. I just don't get the 325 WSM. The 300 WSM shoots the same bullet weights to the same speeds. I don't see how .017" of bullet diameter could possibly matter at any range. But the better BC of .308 bullets at the same weight has to improve performance at longer ranges.

I have no reason to believe either wouldn't work, but see the 325 as a step in the wrong direction.

That is what I was thinking too. 325WSM doesn't seem very useful.

IC B2

X
xbolt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove

thats was exacly my worry the 325 is to close to the 300 short mag that u dont gain much "performanc". this is abit off topic but how is the noise of the 338 i have never shot it with out ear muffs a 270 win makes me ring but not to bad, now the 338 that a bunch more powder.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove

This is a good summary of the issues around the 325 WSM. The round was for a short actions, bigger bullet, and less rifle weight, but the case capacity wall above 30 caliber has prevented much improvement over the 300 WSM. One of our regular elk hunting group has one, he's killed three elk in Idaho with it. The rifle is a Browning A-Bolt and accurate, but he pays about twice for ammo as the guy next to him pays for 338 WM...when he can find it.

I've owned several 338 WM, and the report is louder, but I don't have a way to measure the difference. The biggest issue is if you decide to put a muzzle break on, and the increase in noise levels. The 338 WM IMO, is more of a boom than the crack, but that's about as close as I can describe it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Muzzle blast is the primary reason my 338 WM in Rem 700 Classic basks in the comfort of the safe and the '06 and 308 class cartridges, including the 338-06 and 35 Whelen, go on my elk hunts. Lost too much (more than half) hearing in my left ear from USMC in the 70s and the 338 in the 90s. I always hunt with an ear plug now.

The second reason is meat loss from bloodshot. Even here in CO, NM, and WY, the majority of my shots on elk come at less than 150 yards. The resultant high velocity impact always results in substantial meat loss. The '06 and 308 class cartridges kill just as quickly with much less commotion and loss.

I've never seen much benefit in the WSMs over the '06. Although, it seemed to make some of my hunting partners think their dicks were bigger. I think it just made them bigger dicks.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a firm believer of the 338wm and why buy 2 sets of componets or ammo?

I would and did stick with he 338WM

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by temmi
I'm a firm believer of the 338wm and why buy 2 sets of componets or ammo?

I would and did stick with he 338WM

Snake

Would agree. The .338 WM is here to stay.

DF

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
What Takeem said..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as I'm concerned, any 8mm chambering is neither fish nor fowl. It's neither .30 cal nor .338 cal. The .338 is time proven (not that the 8mm's aren't), but .338's run best with bullets over about 210 grs. Load your .338 up with a 225 gr Northfork or Partition & go forth. Going for the larger bears? Load 'er up with a 240 NorthFork or 250 Partition. There's no screwin' around.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 06/21/13.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am lately looking for rifles in the most of standard calibers. I own WSM's and am getting into reloading but you just cannot find components to load the darn rounds. Yes there is loaded ammo out there but is a lot more expensive when you find it.

270 WSM @ about $45.00+ a box - 270 Winchester @ about $27.00 a box+/-.

I love the .338 Win, always have, and the 325WSM is a good round for moose but just living with the added expense would put a hurting on any budget. And that is if you can find the ammo.

I am looking for rifles in 308, .243, and .22 lately. I have all of the Unique/Boutique type of rifles I can stand at the moment.

Not that they don't work just fine I just would like to be able to buy ammo more readily. Try buying ammo for a .358 Norma Mag.

Sense I already own a great 35 mag I do not need another one but the .338 WM will always be on my list to buy if the right deal comes along. I just can't help myself, say a nice Ruger M77 or a model 70 and the wallet would be a hurtin....

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I must qualify my comments by saying there are no moose near me to shoot.

But I think the 325WSM has plenty to commend it. A downside certainly is that there isn't the massive array of bullets to choose from like there is in .308 cal. That is certain.

But if you aren't wanting to try 50 different combos I think the 325WSM is as good a multi purpose cartridge as any.

A 250g Woodleigh would be as good a big, brown, bad bear bullet as any?
A 200g Nosler Partition or TSX at 2900fps or so would be as good an elk or moose bullet too?

But for small stuff at lighter loadings might be where the 325 gives extra utility. Those 150g to 180g bullets made for 8mm Mauser speeds loaded modestly in the WSM make great deer, goat and pig loads.

I am not saying the 325 gives you any greater versatility than the 300, but I don't think it gives much away either.

Its worth a look, and too dismiss it so readily is a shame. For something different, such a cartridge in the BLR would be a nice break from the ordinary.

Regards.

- Bob

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 338 has a much better selection of bullets. My first consideration. You WILL find factory ammo anywhere in North America. Just a thought, have fun with it regardless of which way you swing.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both a 338 WM and a 325 WSM. I really like both. But I prefer the 325 WSM for nearly all my hunting. Why? Cause its 5.75 pounds with a scope and rings on it. My 338 is nearly 9 pounds with scope rings and sling. I backpack hunt a lot so weight is a concern.

Also I am partial to rifles of short overall length. I left my 338 Ruger M77 with the 24" barrel, but had my Browning TI cut down to 18". I gave up about 130 fps by doing so but the handiness of the rifle is so nice now its my go to rifle for everything. Even the little 325 WSM with a stubby 18" barrel was able to take this grizz last week at 330 yards with factory 200 grain accubonds. I have some loads worked up with both 160 TTSXs and 200 NPTs and we'll see which one it likes, but for me in a small handy rifle package the WSM is nice and I certainly plan to use it for moose, caribou, dall sheep, mountain goat, and black bears this fall as well. Better than a 300 WSM IDK, but I sure don't feel hamstrung at all with the selection of .323 bullets out there and since I mostly reload now the factory ammo costs aren't much of an issue either.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Last edited by grovey; 06/22/13.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I sold my .338 years ago, I cannot see myself selling my .325. As I hand load factory ammunition has not been a great concern for me. With a range of bullets from 125, 150, 160, 170, 175, 180, 195, 200, 220 commonly avaiable from great manufacturers like Nosler Barnes Swift Hornday Speer and Seirra I think there is enough variety.

I will admit a strong 8mm bias. I think that fit and balance are more important than calibre in this question. Choose either the .338 or the .325 based upon fit and handiness based upon your opinions and experiences go forward be happy. Just my humble opinion. have a good weekend. Thanks GRF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The whole "more bullet selection" response always makes me giggle a little bit. How many bullets does one NEED to choose from? I see guys on here all the time saying they've used X bullet for 5-50 years and don't need change what ain't broke. So what does it matter having 140 different choices versus 14? The way I see it, as long as you have a couple choices in C&C, premium and mono bullets, what else do you need? You can get Barnes and Partitions in 8mm.....those seem to be the 2 most popular big game choices in the country. There are cheap cup bullets as well. The step from .308 to .323 isn't big enough to make a difference? Well what about .243 to .257, or .264 to .277, or .277 to .284? If being a big enough diameter difference really mattered we'd all be shooting 25, 30 and 35 with nothing in between.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

I find that as I get older my taste in rifles and cartridges is changing. Years ago, everything was heavy barreled bean-field rifles, mostly blue steel and wood, magnums and high magnification scopes. These days, not so much.

I won�t even begin to compare/contrast the 325 WSM with the 338 Win Mag. However, after loading and shooting rifles in about 50 chamberings between 17 ackley hornet and 458 Lott, I do like the 325 WSM. And it's a good enough excuse to own one more rifle.

Hunting mostly in Texas, most of the stuff I shoot is 300 lbs. or under. The Nosler CS in 325 has become my go to hoglet whacker.

Particularly at dark-thirty when I especially want them DRT and no tracking. I�ve set it up with a Leupold with illuminated reticle and use an XLR 250 kill light.

[Linked Image]

Nosler Model 48 Custom Sporter, 325 WSM

[Linked Image]

I load it with the 180 gr. Nolser Ballistic tips over 62 Gr. W-760 for a MV of 2,850 fps.
Mild load, but I've found that MV's of 2800 fps. or less don't tend to tear up as much meat, and I'm a meat hunter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.