Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Trav/Math et al. Be advised that when you accuse rifle shooters who employ load-specific range-engraved elevation turrets of being morons/unmanly/dupes etc, that you are talking about every US Army sniper for the last 25yr. USMC snipers I'm not sure how far back but quite awhile.

If you swear by MOA clicks then just drive on. Different strokes for different folks.

And Trav, I'm sure the Moms of all the "ladies" you've "shot" hold you in high esteem.

You need to back off. I didn't accuse anyone of being anything. I referred to that group of shooters as men, not fairies or dunces or such.

I asked about how in the particular case of using one type of ammunition the use of load specific dials may be appropriate, and yet could still require "not regular scale" corrections often enough that calling dope in straight MOA or mils relative to one baseline zero would amount to nearly the same thing.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In your case Mathman, I apologize. You merely asked a reasonable question and did not cast aspersions.

Like I said, the turret is zeroed with issued ammo at a known elevation/temp and that data recorded, along with zero changes for other gear like the UNS and a suppressor. For a potential engagement at a variety of distances, this is a no-brainer. A smart guy doesn't have to ponder this very long to see the wisdom of it.

Also bear in mind that the guy behind that scope may have been in overwatch for an assault element that has not arrived for a day or more, after having made a night parachute jump with little sleep for days prior to that. The system works.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Can I ask a question back on topic?

If one was going with a Leupold 6x42 with a CDS or M1, that order would have to come from the Custom Shop, or the scope would need to be sent back for CDS/M1 retrofit.

Would it be prudent to have the Custom Shop set the parallex at 300 yds. Parallex at lesser ranges wouldn't be that far off and you'd have a good scope for 300 yds, maybe not that bad at 400+. Or, if they set it for 400 yds., how much movement would you have at 100 or 200?

DF

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Things have changed across the board in the last ten years but I thought the standard issue Army sniper set up was a Remington varmint contour 308 in an HS precision scoped with a fixed 10 power Leupold using 1/4moa cranks and baseball mildots, flinging 175smk's...

Did they go to range calibrated dials?

There is a time... to refrain from embracing
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Can I ask a question back on topic?

If one was going with a Leupold 6x42 with a CDS or M1, that order would have to come from the Custom Shop, or the scope would need to be sent back for CDS/M1 retrofit.

Would it be prudent to have the Custom Shop set the parallex at 300 yds. Parallex at lesser ranges wouldn't be that far off and you'd have a good scope for 300 yds, maybe not that bad at 400+. Or, if they set it for 400 yds., how much movement would you have at 100 or 200?

DF

I have never done so and I have had no problems.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tomothy_Murphy
Things have changed across the board in the last ten years but I thought the standard issue Army sniper set up was a Remington varmint contour 308 in an HS precision scoped with a fixed 10 power Leupold using 1/4moa cranks and baseball mildots, flinging 175smk's...

Did they go to range calibrated dials?

The 24in barrel on an M24 is quite a bit heavier than varmint contour (but doesn't shoot any better than the best varmint barrels, IMO). The Leupold M3Ultra 10X, later re-badged the MKIV, always had an elevation turret that was graduated in hundreds of meters for the issued 308 load.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
"The Leupold M3Ultra 10X, later re-badged the MKIV, always had an elevation turret that was graduated in hundreds of meters for the issued 308 load."

No kidding.... I larned something today. That is quite interesting. I don't know why I thought it was 1/4 MOA.

The Navy SPR with the 18" barrell, 1/7 twist shooting 77smk's had/has a 3.5x10 Leupold does it not?? What dials/reticle does it have?

I understand things have been changing here lately though...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I retired in 03 before the M110 and the variable optics hit the scene. The SPR's as I understand had a variety of COT/S (com off-the-shelf) optics and I never got my hands on them, so I can't advise on that.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tomothy_Murphy
"The Leupold M3Ultra 10X, later re-badged the MKIV, always had an elevation turret that was graduated in hundreds of meters for the issued 308 load."

No kidding.... I larned something today. That is quite interesting. I don't know why I thought it was 1/4 MOA.

Some of the commercial versions were so equipped, so that may be something you have seen. In fact, some units who had larger caliber rifles had MKIV's with M1's on them.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You need to call the custom shop and talk to them. I am of the opinion you can have anything you want, if they do it at all, from the custom shop. They will make up a custom reticle for you, for instance.
The last I heard, you get either 50 yds, 200 yds or 400 yds. for a custom parallax setting for any Leupold scope. However, on the 6X42's I have, and that's two M8's and one FX3, I can reduce what parallax is there to almost nothing at either 100 yds. or 300 yds. That's due to the long depth of focus of the 6X42. I use the ocular for this. My groups go from 4.5-5 inches on one rifle to 2.5 inches by simply reducing the parallax with the ocular. That's at 300 yds. BTW.
I just remounted an FX 2, 4X on my .308. Had it in for still another reticle change. Good, easy folks to do bussiness with. Great for those of us that like to nit pick and tweak our rifles. E

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
E,

Seems to me that there would be less parallax at 200 with a scope set at 400, then paralax at 400 with a scope set at 200.

To me, that's intuitive. How close am I, or am I all wet?

DF

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
FYI.... All new sniper weapon system optics in the Army are mil/mil. They may or may not have a secondary BDC line reference, but they are being taught using mil based adjustments.

The MK12 (SPR) was initially fielded with the Leupold 2.5-8x36mm. The Navy generally switched to the 2.5-10x Nightforce.

BDC's- let's keep in mind targets orientation and institutional knowledge. Humans are tall and narrow. Range errors are not as big as a deal compared to deer, which are wide but short top to bottom. The military did not understand. MOA and mils in 1986 when the M24 happened. We do now. Mil adjustments and mil reticles. Makes sense.

To the OP-

A fixed 6x is adequate for for big game. You do not need to worry about parallax with a good scope below 10x or so. Dial for range, hold for wind. This becomes exceedingly easier if your scope adjustment matches your your reticle- ie. mil reticle/ 1/10th mil adjustments.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

The military did not understand. MOA and mils in 1986 when the M24 happened. We do now. Mil adjustments and mil reticles. Makes sense.

BIG bullschit flag. The M24 was MSG Rick Boucher's "baby". Rick "understands". He designed the mildot master.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Ok. I'm quite familiar with who Rick is. Pretty sure I didn't say that Rick and the SOTIC committee didn't know MOA and mils, but that the military community as a whole didn't shoot, think, or train like we do now. The Leupold Ultra was selected mainly because it was the only scope that tracked, and that was mostly due to the 1moa adjustments.

The use of BDC turrets as a first line compensation method kind of went out with log books. Not sure what the sore spot and all the offense is in regards to BDC's, patriotism, etc.

We

It's been over a decade of constant war. Some things are done different now than was done 25 years ago.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
TAK has done a lot to answer the question regarding 6X42's for big game hunting...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trav/Math et al. Be advised that when you accuse rifle shooters who employ load-specific range-engraved elevation turrets of being morons/unmanly/dupes etc, that you are talking about every US Army sniper for the last 25yr. USMC snipers I'm not sure how far back but quite awhile.

If you swear by MOA clicks then just drive on. Different strokes for different folks.

And Trav, I'm sure the Moms of all the "ladies" you've "shot" hold you in high esteem.

and almost to a man, they have the hormone levels and sense of humor to laugh this bullshit off. certain exceptions noted.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by johnw

and almost to a man, they have the hormone levels and sense of humor to laugh this bullshit off. certain exceptions noted.

Does that idiotic statement include the moms also?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
TAK has done a lot to answer the question regarding 6X42's for big game hunting...

Travis

That coming from the veritable navigator of thread drift.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

That coming from the veritable navigator of thread drift.

I'm always on topic.

Travis

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
"The use of BDC turrets as a first line compensation method kind of went out with log books."

No data books no mo????

Well.... it is a different oldsmobile these days...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,945 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,160
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.