Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 65BR

....no harm in it if your shoulder and ears can tolerate it and you can stand more meat loss if you hit shoulders, etc.

65 -

I've been using mags (7RM first in the late 70s) for a loooong time.

IF you use a PROPER bullet in the right place the meat loss is IN-DISCERNABLE from 270/06 class.

I have a few pics to the point in my next post.

Last Fall I killed my FIRST deer w/6.5 Swede. I could NOT tell the diff. in sound or recoil, in a hunting situation from a 270 OR 7 RM.

Last edited by jwall; 07/01/13.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wbyfan1

ummm...... the picture JGRaider posted of the deer that was spine shot with the 7 Mag and 139 SST's. That's the example I was referring to!!!

Okay, wbyfan & 6.5, here are a few pics of WT that I killed last deer season. They are also posted in the Deer Hunting forum last Nov-Dec.

NOTE, every ONE was intentionally shot, hi-shoulder>SPINE to drop them immediately. You'll SEE IF you look, there was NO excessive meat loss. 3 were shot w/270 Win and 1 w/6.5Swede. Granted, NOT mags but at CLOSE range, you get the picture.

The FIRST one, I cut the shoulders OFF before I took the pic so it looks deceiving. Compare to the rest.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This doe was shot @ 140 yds running w/270, 130 gr. IF you look close you can see the blood spattered and leaves/dirt smudges from where she hit the ground. I did NOT touch her before I took the pic.

[Linked Image]

Next is internal wound damage.
[Linked Image]

AT the time I did not think to take a pic of the exit. I FOUND the bullet under the hide on the OFF SIDE.

The last pic is of a doe was @ 3 steps from a boundary fence. She DROPPED.

[Linked Image]

Next is internal damage.
[Linked Image]

CONCLUSION - IF you use a GOOD bullet, you will not blow 1/2 the deer away. IMO that's the point of the thread.

Also I don't mess with the ribs regardless of the shot.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by 65BR

....no harm in it if your shoulder and ears can tolerate it and you can stand more meat loss if you hit shoulders, etc.

65 -

I've been using mags (7RM first in the late 70s) for a loooong time.

IF you use a PROPER bullet in the right place the meat loss is UNDISCERNABLE from 270/06 class.

I have a few pics to the point in my next post.

Last Fall I killed my FIRST deer w/6.5 Swede. I could NOT tell the diff. in sound or recoil, in a hunting situation from a 270 OR 7 RM.

There is no doubt that the choice of bullet has more to do with meat loss than does the cartridge in my experience. One does not need to blow away 1/2 of the deer to drop them on the spot also in my experience

Last edited by jwp475; 06/30/13.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

There is no doubt that the choice of bullet has more to do with meat loss than does the cartridge in my experience. One does not need to blow away 1/2 of the deer to drop them on the spot also in my experience

That's a FACT, it has been proven MANY Xs.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by jwp475

That's a FACT, it has been proven MANY Xs.

One reason that I prefer TSX or TTSX bullets but Partitions aren't bad in this regard either

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only used an SST in a 270 WSM. 140 gr @ 3150 fps. Massive damage at 150 yds, drt. Previously I had used 140 gr Hornady Interlock @ 3050 fps and a 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 3300 fps. The SST did the most damage, then the Nosler and the Interlock did the least.

I'm sticking with the SST for now. I'd like to see how they work at longer ranges. Most of my shots at deer are at around 200-250 yds. The SST was the most accurate followed by the Interlock and then the Nosler.

Dan

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
If you are worried about meat damage don't shoot your animal in the meat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
......I wouldn't count on the 150 gr SST to penetrate an elk, moose, or bear shoulder (although it might), but I have no reservations about using it for deer and similar sized game.

The 180 gr SST at 2700 fps from a ten twisted 30-06 may not penetrate a broadside shot on a moose. Friend of mine put three into the lungs at 40 yd, and none of them made it through.

Of course, the moose died. smile
Ted

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I shot a whitetail doe with a 300 savage at 80 yds with 165 grain sst handloads 1 grain lower than max load, and a cow elk 80 yds .308 winchester 180 grain sst 1 grain under max load. Lost em both. I think they punched through without expanding. bummer.

An SST may do a lot of things, but punching through without expanding isn't one of them.

Just for the record, I like SSTs. I've killed more than 50 whitetails with the 150 gr 30-06 variety. I never really worry about a losing a little shoulder meat. I've also helped load and skin more than 200 deer killed with 154 gr SST from a 7RM.

Last edited by country_20boy; 07/01/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have found the SST no less or more inconsistent than the Nosler Ballistic Tip or Speer Hotcor.

I have seen all of those bullets go through pigs, goats and other game and give nice predictable wounding. I have also seen the exact same combos in similar circumstances blow holes through chests like a hand grenade went off in there.

You also hear about GMX and X Bullets not opening, and Partitions having the front core blow off too quick and act like a solid.

The reasons for this I can't nail down. There are so many imponderables.

I doubt the SST is any more inconsistent than most other bullet models.

My general rule of thumb is if you are hunting heavy bodied game, use the heaviest bullet weight that allows for a usable hunting trajectory for your likely range. GO HEAVY!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bobnob17
My general rule of thumb is if you are hunting heavy bodied game, use the heaviest bullet weight that allows for a usable hunting trajectory for your likely range. GO HEAVY!

Right on, bobnob! "Flat-shooting" loads are tremendously overrated, especially the trajectory advantage. NO rifle shoots "flat." The "advantage" obtained by increasing bullet speed from 2800 to 3000 fps is miniscule, especially when compared with accurate range and wind estimation and other operator variables. My beloved 7x57 with 175gr cup/core bullets at 2400 fps shoots flat enough for a 200 yard zero, and terminal performance is remarkably consistant throughout typical hunting ranges.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 28 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,100
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.