Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wish I had that problem. My difficulty is always coming up with the money or justifying spending it on another rifle.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of the three original choices, sako hands down. I my experience, weatherbys simply do not hold their value as the sakos do. And the older sakos are fabous and can be had reasonably.

Someone mentioned the mannlicher schoennaur. I would definitely consider these as they are great and in your price range. Check out the new Steyr mannlichers as they have a similar look to the sako Bavarian.

Good luck

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I own all three makes. The coopers are a nice rifle, but don't have near the prestige of a Sako. The Weatherby Germans are a really nice find if you can find one in good shape. Weatherby rifles are expensive to shoot if you don't reload, and haven't held their values like the sako's have. The older model Sakos are very well balanced, a pleasure to shoot but are a bit heavy for packing in the mountains. The Coopers are just plain heavy. I would go with the Sako forester in 222, 243, 308. Lightweight timeless gun with all the history you are wanting to pass on. My 222 forester shoots 1/4 inch groups, and my 243 is not far behind.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sako by far of those three.
I would even go Remington before the other 2. For 2 grand get a remmy and put it in a McM.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by sns2
Well, as some of you may have read, I have been seeking opinions on cartridges for a new rifle. Now I am going to ask for some opinions on a new rifle. My budget is around 2K, and I want to get a gun that would qualify as one I would experience a great deal of pride of ownership in when I go afield, and maybe more importantly, a gun that my son would treasure when the Good Lord decides my time here is up. I have narrowed the search down to Sako 85 Bavarian, Cooper Jackson Game, and maybe a Weatherby Mark V. The cartridge would be somewhere between a .257 Wby and a 30-06 (based on the gun I decide on and availability).

Please give me your thoughts on which of the above you would want and why. If you want to list them in order, that would be even better.

I have had the opportunity to handle the Sako and Weatherby, but not the Cooper (though that is the one I am most intrigued with). I asked the boss if she'd mind me driving three hours away to visit a gun store (that carries Coopers), but she thought I was beyond help. Did I mention I haven't told her I am getting another gun?

Anyhow, I eagerly look forward to any and all informed opinions that you may be able to offer.

Sir,

This opinion and $1.75 will get you a cup of coffee at Waffle House, but fer [bleep] n giggles, here goes.........

I�ve owned prolly 20 different Sako�s.

[Linked Image]

From 17 mach iv on a rebarreled Riihimaki to an AV in 375 H&H. I�ve fiddled with a few of my bud�s Sakos. Only one I could not get to group consistently under 1�. That one had a manufacturing defect, the chamber was cut oversize. I�ve owned the Riihimaki, L461, S-491, L579, L61R, AI, AII, AIII, AV, 75, & 85 and one M995 in the Lazeroni Warbird. Wood, Synthetic and Laminate. The gunsmith I use loves the Sako actions as he don�t have to do anything to �true� them.
The Vixen (L461) is probably my favorite of the Small actions, the 579 in the medium and l61R in the large.
I�ve also owned a dozen or so Coopers in Model 21, 22, 38, and 52, in the Varminter, Montana Varminter, Varmint Extreme, Classic and Jackson Game.

[Linked Image]

As to Weatherby, I�ve owned the Mark V Accumark in 257 WBY and 240 WBY and the SuperVarmintMaster in 308 Win. That SVM was a shooter, but was kinda heavy. Had to pay a gunsmith to do a trigger job to get it to my liking. Never owned a Vanguard or Lazermark.

Sako�s were my first love, and I still own Sakos. I�ve a little Riihimaki in 222 Rem. I load with 45 gr. TSX. It is my �carry rifle�. I go to and fro on a 4 wheeler. Carry it in a scabbard strapped to the front rack.

[Linked Image]

This Sako Varminter, L61R, in 7mag has put the hurt on many a hoglet and white-tail.

[Linked Image]

My latest Sako is the Bavarian Carbine in 308 Win.

[Linked Image]

My favorite Cooper repeater, a model 52 Jackson Game, 26� fluted barrel in 25-06.

[Linked Image]

Some folks say �aren�t you afraid of scratching and denting your wood stocks. I say no, those are character marks, usually well earned.
Most of the centerfires I�ve owned over the past 20 years have been purchased �pre-enjoyed� Like big bore wheel guns, most folks don�t put that many rounds down the tube of a rifle. A little tweaking and you�ve got a shooter. Don�t be afraid of a pre-enjoyed rifle that has been conscientiously owned. It can be a lot of fun finding out a rifles provenance.

I�ve typically owned heavy barreled �beanfield� rifles but am trending toward a lighter rifle. You should consider the type of hunting you will be doing, whether it will be from a stand, stalking up and down hills/mountains and the distances at which most of your shots are made. You did not indicate your preference.

I tell folks that if my only criteria were price and accuracy, all my rifles would be Savage. However I have a thing about beauty function, fit finsh as well as accuracy.

Now this is just one man�s opinion, but for my money a used Cooper is the best value out there. Mind you I started buying Coopers over 10 years ago in the sub-caliber single shots. Most were purchased around $1,100 each. Who else built a factory rifle with stunning wood and sub-inch accuracy at 100 yds in 17 hebee or 19 Calhoon or Tactical 20. No-one is who.

You indicated that your budget was $2K. I don�t believe you mentioned whether that included the scope or not. It also does not have to be a one time and done type of thing. I started out buying cheap rifles and scopes at pawn shops and off friend and trading up. Don�t know if you have a problem with pre-enjoyed rifles or not. I don�t. Certain rifles call to me whether they are new or used. I prefer used, as that way someone else takes the initial hit on the depreciation. Haunt Gunbroker and Classifieds on gun sites. I saw a nice wood stocked model 52 Cooper in 280 Remington sell for $1,300 on GB the other day. Model 52�s and 54�s in several styles can be had used between $1,300 and $1,800. New Sako Bavarians are going around $1,900. Bavarian carbines are between$2k and $2,250. Outlets like Cove Creek Outfitters will do a lay-away. Never hurts to ask for 90 days. Broken up into 3 or 4 payments makes things easier.

You mentioned pride of ownership. Don�t know if you mean brand name, beautiful wood, fit and finish, accuracy or all of the above. To my mind there is nothing more beautiful than blue steel and wood. However, as I�m getting older, rifles with synthetic stocks and stainless or cerrakote finish are becoming more attractive. I don�t care for the acrylic finish of the wood stocked Weatherbys or Brownings that crack like fiberglass. An oil finish can be retouched or refinished. Laminates are OK, but not a thing of beauty. IMHO Cooper has the best wood of the the three brands you mentioned. However the new Bavarians have pretty decent wood.

It usually does not get super cold in Texas and glove wearing is occasional. I like triggers to break at two lbs. or under. Unless you get a Sako model with a set trigger, I�d say the trigger on the Coopers are sweeter and are easily adjustable. The Sako Bavarians and some of the 75 and 85 Varmint models have a set trigger that breaks about 9 oz. when set. It takes a little getting used to but I love the set triggers.

Both the Sako and the Cooper models 52,54 and 56 have detachable magazines. The Sakos can be fed through the receiver. The Coopers are single stack, with the cartridge being depressed and slid into the DM. The Sako will hold 1 or 2 more rounds than the Cooper (generally speaking). Don�t know if that matters to you or not. How often do you shoot more than once at a game animal? The only knock on my Bavarian carbine is the thickness of the stock at, and just in front of the DM. I think it would carry easier if that part of the stock were somewhat slimmer.

If a synthetic stock was to your liking, I think it would be hard to beat a Cooper Excalibur with cerrakote action and barrel.

Not on your list, but the Nosler Custom Sporter is worth a look. I have two and the 325 WSM is my go to hog thumper for dark thirty shooting.

As to calibers, many times rifles chambered for 30-06 are cheaper. Don�t know what you�ll be shooting or whether you are recoil sensitive. A Cooper Excalibur, 26� fluted barrel, Cerrakoted, chambered in 6.5 x 284 would do one a fine job, or the Nosler model 48 Custom Sporter (only negative is max bbl. Length of 24�. I picked one up earlier in the year chambered in 270 WSM for $1,500 on a lay-away on Gunbroker) no matter what the weather conditions. Both will shoot sub inch at 100 and shots to 300 yds. should be chipshots if you do your part.

I�ve kinda gone nuts on Merkel�s as of late,

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Merkel/IMG_0147_zpsfc2c7f40.jpg[/img]

Beautiful blue steel and wood, great detail, fit and finish and accurate to boot.

but of the options mentioned, I think I�d choose as follows:

Model 52, Cooper Jackson Game, 6.5 x 284, 30-06, or 338-06.
Model 54, Cooper Jackson Game 7mm-08, 260 Rem, 257 AI
Cooper Excalibur
Cooper Jackson Hunter
Cooper Classic
Sako Bavarian/Bavarian Carbine
Sako Stainless Laminate Varmint w/Set Trigger
Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA, stainless

Don�t know if you�re in a hurry. I�m not. It took me 10 years to get the Cooper Varminter in 20 Vartarg at the price I wanted to pay. Took three years before I found my first Merkel deal. Don�t get in a hurry, be patient. Sooner or later a blind hog will find an acorn.
JMHO

Best,
GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by snowwalker

I would even go Remington before the other 2. For 2 grand get a remmy and put it in a McM.

ICK!

Sorry friend, but such a piece is not even close to an heirloom rifle. Would look more like a straw sticking out of a melted Bowling Ball and feel about as warm and connecting in ones hands as well.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I wish I had that problem. My difficulty is always coming up with the money or justifying spending it on another rifle.

I'm sorry. I didn't mention coming up with the money for the Sharps because for me it goes without saying....

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Gdubya - WOW!! A thoughtful, well-written reply complete with factual info, easy to read and well laid out. That is a rarity on the 'fire now days.

IMO given the origianl posters criteria you pretty well laid out all of the options available to him and did so in a very logical manner. - Congratulations! To me the Cooper more accurately represent an heirloom rifle such as the OP was asking opinions on.

Like you I am a Cooper fan, I too have owned numerous Sako's through the years but I could never "love" them, they all shot well, no issues with any of them but the charisma was just not there for me. Not all Cooper models appeal to me either but I do love the ones I own and I too feel that when purchased right they are the best value on the market.
drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I hate you guys.
Now I've got to have a Cooper.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I hate you guys.
Now I've got to have a Cooper.

No problem, you'll thank us later.......

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._COOPER_owners_real_accuracy#Post6654491

and one more

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._How_does_Cooper_load_for_th#Post6654384

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
+20 for Sako and +5 or 6 for Pre-64 M70. Geedubya makes good point with the "pre-enjoyed". Find one you like and go hunt. Don't worry about the nicks, dings and character marks.

FWIW, I just let each of my grand kids pick from a selection of rifles that were mine and/or my dad's (their great grandpa). Laid several rifles out on a bed. Took each of them into the room one by one, oldest to youngest. I put one "ringer" shiny newer rifle in each group. All of them picked older rifles that had "stories" to go with them. One picked the lever rifle I shot my first deer with. Another chose the old .22 semi auto their great grandpa used to shoot muskrats and turtles with. And so on. None of them picked the shiny newer rifle.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought a gorgeous lefty Mark V Lazermark 378 Wby specifically as a future heirloom to my kids, and I now own 6 other lefty Mark V's, each of which I have bought to enjoy and to one day hand down. That said, the one they'll fight over is the 243 700 CDL I hunt with every year. The other comments are correct, treat yourself to a nice rifle you'll enjoy, but your kids won't love it because it's expensive or rare, they'll love it because it'll remind them of the time you spent with them hunting with that rifle.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would get a Sauer 90 in good condition smile

Pieter

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just my two cents. I've owned Sakos, I still own Coopers. I prefer Coopers. There are a lot of good folks working there, and they are easy to deal with. Get whatever turns you on.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have a Cooper 54 in 260, a weatherby Mk V in 308, and have thought seriously about a Sako but never shot one. i am extremely happy w my cooper and highly recommend its handling, trigger, accuracy and overall quality

Yesu ai zhongguo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weatherby

Molan Labe
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Cooper 5 repeater - this particular one is in 22/250 but they available in a multitude of calibers. And yes, it does shoot sub 1/2 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds. The only thing I had to do to it was add a scope and start shooting. Another of the reasons I am such a fan of Cooper rifles. http://www.cooperfirearms.com/our-rifles

While the backlog to have one custom built is long there are many available at on the shelf at dealers such as First Stop Guns and a host of other dealers, also there are usually quite a few listed on gunsamerica,com and gunbroker.com.

Whats not to like about them - an American product made in the USA by American workers, 1/2 inch accuracy guarantee, pride of ownership, and a quality product.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
sns2 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Lovely gun. Pre-Enjoyed Coopers are hard to come by in Canada, as our population is 1/10th of the US. Add to that that there is only one dealer in the second largest country in the world, geographically speaking, and you can see the challenges in getting your hands on a used one.

In any event, I got a 2 yr old Sako 85 Hunter in 30-06 that was also pre-enjoyed. Three boxes down the pipe and not a scratch or nick on it. I ended up paying 2/3 of retail. Definitely the way to go.

Thank you all very much for your advice, especially to Geedubya. It was greatly appreciated.

Straight shootin my fine neighbors to the south, and when you're out hunting, may there always be an ever so gentle breeze blowing straight in your face!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
From your list, Weatherby. I belong to the portion of us where just hearing the name Weatherby illicits visions of a great hunting rifle with an amazing wood stock with beautiful lines.

But I'll also put up a vote for Sauer as well. The one I've owned just felt like an heirloom-worthy rifle: amazing quality.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 204guy, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,743
Posts18,457,713
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.