OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Crazy Crazy stuff, hit the link...

[video:google]http://devour.com/video/vintage-race-car-crashes/[/video]

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No rollbars, no seatbelts, some in the early days didn't even wear helmets. A lot of guys got killed & maimed in those days.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking seat belts work, huh?

And the roll bar too...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Wow..........that was quite a compilation of wrecks. To see some of the guys get up and walk/run away from the pile-up is something else!

Those were the days!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That guy that burned up had a bad day!

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Speeds back then were far slower than today. Can you imagine some of those rollovers at 150 mph? The flying drivers would have been thrown into orbit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Speeds back then were far slower than today. Can you imagine some of those rollovers at 150 mph? The flying drivers would have been thrown into orbit.
Not as slow as you'd think. There were cars that did a good 120mph with NO crash technology whatsoever. You'd be safer on a motorcycle. At least when you fling off the motorcycle, it won't roll over you and crush you with 2 tons of steel.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bob was a friend of mine about 25 years ago, and was a tech inspector for vintage races. He was working an event at Watkins Glen when a Ferrari driver wiped out in the bootleg. Later, in the paddock, with his wrecked car on the rollback, Bob approached the driver, who was joking about the accident. When Bob asked him how he could laugh off the wreck of a rare classic, the gentlemen agreed that, yes, it was one of only three of that model ever made - but, he said - "I own the other two."

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
You'd be safer on a motorcycle.

I follow motorcycle grand prix (MotoGP) racing, and you'd be surprised the "offs" they regularly survive. There are regular injuries, to be sure, such as broken bones, etc. And there seems to be a death every few years. But generally, provided there isn't a barrier to stop a motorcyclist who has been dismounted, they will survive wrecks in excess of 150 mph.

The key is in how quickly (or rather, slowly) you are decelerated.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Friend of mine drag raced nitro-burning motorcycles. He said he felt safer racing those than cars because if something went wrong with a bike he could let go and "bail off the back". eek

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
That guy that burned up had a bad day!

I raced Triumph TR-3s back before fuel tank bladders. Cars went up like grenades back then, and I watched several drivers get BBQd. We used cotton driving suits dipped in borax as flame retardant.

There was a major leap ahead in the 1960s in safety equipment that saved a lot of lives and injuries...Nomex, fuel tank bladders, full-across role bars, the better Bell helmets, five-point seat belts...

These showed up all about the same time and about the time I quit after watching a friend burn to death at Riverside.

That was quite a compilation and sometimes hard to watch.

Last edited by luv2safari; 07/05/13.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was painful to watch. The need for speed is powerful for some.

- Rogue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the early 60's I had a nice 1956 Corvette with the racing package that included two four barrel carbs, fast steering and a 3.55 final drive.

[Linked Image]

There is a sports car racing track nearby and if I joined a local sports car club I could race there in the 'cruising' race that allowed passing on the straight which was long.

I was up against those tiny MG's and maybe a Jag 120.

I paid the $10 entry fee and I was in the paddock waiting my turn as others finished their turn.

Into the paddock came a Porsche with corkscrew gouges all along one side from brushing with another cars wire wheel spinner!

I went up and asked for my $10 back! blush

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I love adrenaline, and adventure,

but the fear of dying, extreme pain, and being burnt alive ,

often negates the first two.

Like I said up top, Crazy Crazy stuff.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.