Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
A little ways back Sierra told me that BT's fail coz they're drivin to fast at close range.... use flat base.

Last edited by pennsyhunter; 07/06/13.

I know not what course others may take, but as for me give me liberty or give me death.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the Juenke Sierra bullets prove why they are relied upon for accuracy testing so often. Only the old screw machine Nosler Partitions have reliably beaten the Sierras... It is still the first bullet/brand I go to to determine the full potential of a new rifle.

The 180gr SPH in 308 is the bullet of choice for a custom 300WM I have hunted with a bunch... I do not like the excess meat damage, but man does it shoot!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
accuracy used to be an issue for me, but then on the other hand I thought I had to push the envolope with high velocity to hunt. My father in law had me going down that road..."you gotta use the hunting load they publish", until I read other reviews of people bashing sierra and saying they're too soft of a bullet or they "failed"... They never list enough details to show how it failed. Then I asked sierra why that is.. "how" they fail and that was thier answer. They ought to know, wouldn't they?

I know not what course others may take, but as for me give me liberty or give me death.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I swapped for a 30 06 yesterday. I'm gonna try 150 Gamekings in it first. The do really well in my 308 and Garand.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy thread resurrection...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7x57 with 160 gr
243 with 85 gr hp

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RWE

Hanco is an avid resurrector.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like this one is on a 4 year cycle. 2009, 2013, 2017

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your gun won't shoot Sierra's then it prolly won't shoot anything. I have never owned a rifle that would not shoot them well. YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently shot some 165 gr. HPBT Gamekings out of my 3006. Very first load I tried shot less than 3/4 group at a hundy. These are supposed to have the tougher jackets so I am going to give them a try this year.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Drug home an old pristine ADL 270 a while back. Threw together some 150 Game kings I had on hand over some 7828. Put five under a nickel. Can't complain.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
If your gun won't shoot Sierra's then it prolly won't shoot anything. I have never owned a rifle that would not shoot them well. YMMV

+1

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I like the Prohunters even better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pro-hunters, like SP Interlocks, will often shoot well more easily than Gamekings in plain ol' factory rifles IME.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RWE

SInce its resurrected.... i"ll repeat... worst bullet for consistent perfromance I've ever used. ANd I've used quite a few of them playing around, especially on pigs and deer since neither is hard to kill.

I"ll never pick them as a first choice. I may pick them for cheaper than barnes and to just have a couple hundred around for spares... but performance has been everythign from not opening much if any, to perfect, to blowing stuff up.... and no rhyme or reason at all.

Nosler solid base had more reliable performance than these game kings. They are accurate though....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, as long it's near the top I'll just mention that I'd never use the 215gn .338 GK on anything. In multiple attempts I couldn't get them to open on dry magazines at 338-06 muzzle velocity. Weirdest thing...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
+1 to saddlesore's post.

Those who understand cup-and-core bullets will always gets what they want out of Sierras. Others will demand something that works to some other ideal than killing the animal.

So how do we explain the 165 in 06 in and out through a rib each time, around 120ish yards, never opening up, and never killing the deer through both lungs?

The SAME way we explain the Barnes bullets here and there supposedly(I've never seen it) not opening.

I was sitting and thinking after I replied a minute or so earlier, when still doing taxidermy I saw a lot of bullets and without a doubt the game king was the one most likely to have seperated from the jacket. Of course we do note that every deer brought to me was already dead.

I think you both nailed it on location of shot and the one I mention was pure fluke. Run it at suggested speeds and distances and all will generally be well. But that limits uses and such and thats enough of a reason for me to at a minimum to think bonded as a minimum.

While I use Sierra 200g in my .375 Winchester, that is the only place I use them. Like rost495, I prefer bonded and monos, North Fork SS, Nosler AccuBond and Barnes TTSX to be specific.

Shooting various cup-and-core bullets through water jugs with a paper witness target a foot or so beyond demonstrated pretty conclusively that cup-and-core bullets at close range tend to come apart and pepper the background with tiny pieces of lead shrapnel. A TTSX through the water jug put two holes in the witness paper – one that looked like a 3-leaf clover and one made by the 4th petal that had broken off.

Contrary to saddlesore’s description of load development, I long ago started using a much more conservative method. First I load 10 bullets over 0.5g powder increments. Each test load gets chrono’d and the point of impact gets recorded. Then I compare the POIs and look for a group of consecutive shots that produced a small group. Picking a middle load out of such a group has generally produced very good results when more were loaded for a second range session. Instead of a couple boxes of $40 bullets ($80 total), I’m often done with using only about $20 worth of bullets. For practice I develop cup-and-core loads that shoot more or less to the same POI as the premium bullets. Before hunting season I will verify POI and drop at extended ranges but even if I shoot up 20 of the premium loads (which would be rare unless there is a problem) , my total cost is still generally less than what non-handloaders would pay for factory ammo in similar quantities.

This photo has been shown before but it demonstrates why I like North Fork bullets. Ranges were 25, 140 and 500 yards.

Care to take a guess as to which was which?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/03/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You and I need to have a beer sometime. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I can give you a brief comparison test of SGK vs Trophy Bonded bullets on the same animal.

The .338WM SGK 250 gr "junk load" (that I just threw together to get rid of about 30 bullets that came with the rifle - due to their poor reputation) loaded one grain under book max, proved to be the most accurate load I've found for that rifle - hovers a small +/- 1" at 200 yards, 3 shot groups. dunno what they would do 5 shots, haven't tried it. I suspect the same, with the free-float barrel. I did write that load down, but haven't loaded any more. Heck, I haven't even shot the rifle in over 8 years... but I still have 3 rounds of that loading left! And won't hesitate to use them at any range to 500 yards. I've never chronographed a load in my life and see no need to start now. Whatever the book values are sound close enough for good. But they were just too good to waste on paper.

I've used that SGK round just once, on a yearling moose of roughly 600-650 pounds that was determined not to go down. Of the more than 20 moose I've killed, he died the hardest - likely due to adreniline- he was leaving when I started shooting.

The first factory ammo Fed. Trophy Bonded Bullet went through both shoulder blades, at about 120 yards when he stopped momentarily and turned broadside to look back (paced off months later over the ice after the lake froze over). It staggered and turned the bull slightly, without knocking him down. Surprise! The second TBB broke a front leg knee, staggerd him again, and turned him butt-end on. (oops). But it isn't easy to make standing, off-hand shots through a screen of alder leaves while standing on a crumbling birch log 3 feet off the ground, even with a sling wrap around the arm. (This is sometimes referred to as a "field position"..... smile. )

At that point he headed for the tree line, 20 yards farther off, going dead away. Yeah, a Texas heart shot would have worked with those TBB's, but I waited until he turned a bit. The third TBB just creased the front of his thigh, and exited the same hole as the first shot did in the far shoulder blade, passing diagonally through the entire body cavity on the way. He was still going, but getting a pretty shakey, when my hand-loaded SGK took him broadside about 4 inches higher than the very first shot, and flattened him right at the edge of heavy timber/brush. He probably didn't have another 5 yards in him anyway. Excluding the knee-capper, the three exit holes were covered by the palm of my hand. All were exits, no fragments found. The SGK exit was about twice the size of the doubled TBB holes, which near as I could tell, overlapped each other by about half. The doubled TBB hole was about quarter size, The single SGK, 50 cent piece sized. I kept that bullet-pocked far-side shoulder blade as a "trophy". I was impressed by the penetration of the TBB, without apparently losing much if any of it's weight, or creating a huge exit wound even after complete penetration of a good 3 feet of intestine, paunch, and chest cavity. (Messy dress-out!)

One shot does not a trend make, but I would not hesitate to load up a bunch of SGK again had I a need for a long range .338WM load. I am saving those last 3 if I ever need to make a 500 yard shot on a moose. They are the other "half" of my moose loads currently in stock. Using the same components, I later junk- loaded 40 Hornady RN 250's. ( these also came with the rifle- it was 10 years before I got around to "getting rid" of both of those unwanted bullets by throwing together un-worked up "junk-loads". )

Those Hornady RN loads are ugly things! - I was just going to use them for practice - until THEY went MOA! At 100 yards, the SGK loads print almost 3 inches higher than the Hornady RN, zeroed 2 inches high at 100. I've killed more than 20 moose now, farthest at 160, and only, I think 3- over 100. I really need that kind of accuracy....... smile. And I've sworn off practice for practice sake anyway. I'm not going into combat.

I'm afraid those 26 really ugly RN I have left are going to turn out to be my life-time supply of moose loads, as little as I shoot for moose- generally just 3 or 4 times a hunt when using that rifle. Once to check sight-in. Once to drop the moose. Once for an insurance shot from a few yards out. They work too. But then taking the top of a bull's skull off at 30 yards, most anything will.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
GameKings have worked great for me on elk and mule deer. Great penetration and exit holes.

My last kill was a large mule deer at 580 yards. The 7mm 175 GK hit him in the front and penetrated
all the way through him including his gut, bullet entered the front left shoulder and exited his right ham.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them (heavy for caliber) on a trophy bull elk hunt.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.