Print Thread
Hop To
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Son and I want to hunt antelope again in 2014. We hunted a private ranch a couple years ago (paid a trespass fee of $500.00 ea), had to draw tags (which we did with no problem), and filled all our tags. I called the rancher a few days ago and he has leased his ranch to an outfitter.

So, I am again looking for a ranch in wyoming which charges a trespass fee, and would allow 2 men to hunt antelope (we'll put in for one buck and a couple does each).

Please drop me a PM I you can point me in the right direction.

thanks.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'll call a rancher I know and see if he still offers trespass hunts.

No trophy bucks but a lot of animals.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, with more than a year to plan (and get points) it wouldn't be that hard to put together a hunt on publicly accessible land and save the trespass fee. I've done this over 1/2 doz times and can't ever seeing paying a tresspass fee in WY for pronghorn. Once they come out with the info, take a gander at the Private Land Public Wildlife programs in WY. They may very well have a property enrolled in the same unit you paid to hunt.

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
thanks for the responses men.

N
N
There is so much public land here and goats are everywhere. Id have a hard time paying for one unless i knew there were some very tall horns on the ranch.

Blm maps are $4 each, and also grab a walk in book from g&f. Between them you should have lots of options.

IC B2

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
still looking. thanks for any assistance.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Is a hunt for pronghorn and prairie dogs doable in WY? Or maybe a pronghorn & fly fishing combo?

Last edited by AZJR; 07/07/13.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Times change.. I haven't had any out of state hunters come visit for maybe 10 years.. This year my stepson and two grandkids put in for antelope near home.. The public ground unit took at least 3 preference points to draw..!!! Last time I had visitors, you just put in an took your chances.. Units with huge amounts of public land can be difficult for even residents to draw.. If I only applied for those with huge amounts of public, I would only draw about 1/3 of the time.. That said, the Gillette area is much private land, each fall I have seen the Game and Fish with a trailer set up to help assist folks with hunting areas.. But I would have my hunt line out before I came to the state.. The permits are readily available in those areas with much private land, and tough to draw in areas with public land.. That said, the walk in areas may offer a cheap way to hunt private land.. To me $500 sounds a bit steep for a trespass fee, but then I haven't gone that route.. this may not be nice to hear, but that is the way things are going.. With the loss of the family ranch and the expanding of out of state owners, the guides are hogging much of the formerly assessable hunting from everyone, residents and nonresidents alike.. A bunch from Chicago came into the valley and bought three huge ranches, all allowed access while the family owned them.. After the sale, a parasite outfitter from Casper leased them all.. Now, you can shoot doe antelope and cow elk, WHEN HE IS FINISHED KILLING ALL THE BUCKS AND BULLS HE CAN.. I am to the point I feel guiding for deer, antelope, and elk should be made illegal... It is pretty irritating..

AZ, as far as antelope and p.dogs, it is do able, but in our area at least the dogs are pretty well shot out.. As for fly fishing and antelope, that would be an excellent comb, IF you draw a permit in an area with good fishing, or move after antelope hunting.. Also some ranch ponds have OUTSTANDING FISHING FOR BIG TROUT..

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I remember the one and only time we hunted WY for antelope, we paid a $25 trespass fee, but that was way back in 1985. smile

We all tagged out on the first day. It was fun and I'd like to do it again, but the prices sure went up.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by AZJR
Is a hunt for pronghorn and prairie dogs doable in WY? Or maybe a pronghorn & fly fishing combo?

Yep lots of good pay to fish private waters for fly fishing in WY. I stopped and hit the Big Horn and Rock Creek in MT last time I hunted antelope in WY. North Platte has some good all be it technical fly fishing in WY.

Last edited by ribka; 07/07/13.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was over scouting Wyoming for a hunt and learned the vast majority of public land, that I looked at, was not accessible. The couple of ranchers I contacted which owned land adjacent to the public land would not allow me to cross to the public land, they were all party to lease agreements with outfitters.

I'm still looking for access in unit 17 for antelope and region C for deer. I'll be over scouting again after making some more contacts.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
i'm still searching for a ranch for my son and i.

if anyone knows of one, please drop me a pm.

thanks

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
ttt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drawing antelope permits is not a foregone conclusion, even in areas such as where my place is. I've got nonresident friends that even with 2 points didn't draw this year.
Game and fish is changing some of the areas again, that means quota's are changing.
Best advice I can give you is go thru the Game and Fish contact list for the area you want to hunt, find out about access when you draw and go from there. Without taking one of the left over license in some of the areas it might be several years before you can draw.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
thanks ranch 13.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Look on the Douglas Chamber of Commerce. There is a list of ranchers that you can call in that area. Also Douglas is on the North Platte River. You could fish it as well.

1st Bn 5th Marines Wpns Co. 03-07
Semper Fidelis
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
thank you sir.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 35 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.