-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In our family, if you a squirrel other than with a .22 and in the head you are laughed at.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Dogdoc, my dad started me out with a 410 single shot also. I was so excited when I got it I could hardly stand still. Not much instructions about leading game but off I went. I killed exactly one squirrel with that gun. Most of the time they were in the tree tops. If it was me I would start a youngster out with a 20ga. Of course, my opinion based on my experience

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My ancient Savage .22 over 410 was the squirrel gun for the whole family. My step-mom thought that it made a great bat gun too. When she saw bats hanging on the beams in the summer kitchen she would slip in either a cb cap or a 22 LR shot round to make sure that she didn't blow a hole in the roof - then whack the little buggers that peed and crapped up in the old oak beams.

Terry

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
When I just want to walk the woods, take shot of opportunity, I take my .22. When I want a mess of squirrels, I take my shotgun.

RE: starting a kid out, I got a 20 ga. for my son. Had I been
able to find one I would have gotten a 28ga.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have found those Colibri 22 ammos are pretty poor for accuracy. Match a five shot group at 25 yards with some Remington sub sonic and you will see a 1" group vs a 6" group.

I have killed a lot more squirrels with a shotgun than 22. No shame too it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
During the Tennessee Spring squirrel season, I plan to carry a shotgun rather than my beloved .22 rifle. Squirrel hunting ought to be fun. Use what you want, or what you have. Enjoy the experience, and eat the squirrels.

μολὼν λαβέ
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My first gun was a new Ithaca Super Single 20 gauge, Modified choke, that did a fine job with 1-ounce field loads of number 6 shot on rabbit, squirrel and quail. I hunted on public hunting grounds and a few family farms, so the opportunity to use a .22 rifle didn't exist. Since I could afford only one gun, and I could hunt with a few friendly folks, I just enjoyed my occasional hunts. It was a good way to start my apprenticeship as a hunter and as a reloader.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Palidun
On the WMA's I hunt most require the use of a shotgun. Glad you like to "piss off" the bowhunters who have made several trips from home to set up in a good spot to bow hunt for deer then on opening weekend a group of first timers come out and shoot up the trees. Real cool. I feel the WMA's should be closed to small game hunters during the first two weeks of bow season.
[bleep] the bowhunters. I pay as much for my license as they do and have just as much right to be out there. Small game seasons also existed long before bow seasons so it's bow hunters who are encroaching on small gamers, not the other way around. That being said, if I know there is a bowhunter in the area I will go somewhere else so as not to disturb his hunt. It's the ones you don't know are there and give you schit for ruining their hunt that get my dander up.

Considering Squirrel season is year round here and bow season only lasts 4 weeks I don't see I am asking too much for a 9 day break in the tree shooting. Another annoyance is that since there are small game hunters in the area we must wear blaze orange which does not make good camouflage. That said I usually hunt squirrels in January and February simply to let the deer hunters have a break, just making an effort to be reasonable.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 3,054 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.