Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 21 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 20 21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tanner
Probably dumb questions but here goes...

How does the 6300 attach to the frame?

When you sandwich meat/dry bag/gear between frame and pack bag, is the Talon the only thing holding the bag to the frame?

Tanner

Tanner. Not a dumb question at all. In fact, I feel silly because I didn't know that the bag DID attach to the frame. blush I just thought it WAS held there by the Talon and the load shelf.
I have the 4800 but I assume the 6300 attaches the same way.

First photo is looking down from the upper right hand side of the frame.
You can see the strap, that is sewn to the bag, threads through a keeper buckle and attaches to a standard buckle...
[Linked Image]

...that standard buckle wraps around the frame and attaches to the buckle meeting it from the other side. Which allows pulling it tight against the frame, or making room between the bag and the frame for meat bags, another dry bag, or whatever you want to put between the bag and the frame. The buckle wraps around the frame(see arrow)

[Linked Image]

The bottom of the bag attaches similarly, but doesn't have the buckle that attaches to the other side, just attaches to the frame and is adjustable in or out.

[Linked Image]

So the bag can be adjusted tightly against the frame, or loosened up to put something between the packbag and the frame. The Talon can be attached to the compression straps, or the straps wrapped around the bag without the Talon.

To me, that's the beauty of this whole outfit. It is a "system" that can be configured however you wish, even removing the pack bag altogether and using just the frame. If it rides as sweet as everyone says, I believe I chose a winner.

Hope this helps Tanner

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spot on, thanks Snubbie.

I'd love to get a 6300, but I am just unsure if it's big enough for what I want to do with it. They really do look like an incredible system!

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spot on, thanks Snubbie.

I'd love to get a 6300, but I am just unsure if it's big enough for what I want to do with it. They really do look like an incredible system!

Tanner

Okay, someone has to ask: what do you want to do with it that 6300 cu.in. won't cover? My knees are aching just asking this question.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing that dramatic, just lots of crap to carry around. I'd like to see if I can get ahold of a 6300 and see how big the top opening is; that'd give me a good idea.

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe that Kevin will be at the Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Rendezvous in Denver March 21-23. I suspect he'll have them there.

http://backcountryhunters.org/index.php/rendezvous-general

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Got my new Paradox last week and took it out a couple times. Awesome pack. Really like the new shoulder suspension (compared with the prototype) the PALS waist belt is great and the gun hook is amazing.
The gun hook even worked great while skiing. I really like how the gun is back out of the way, yet instantly accessible.
Probably be selling off some Gunbears here soon.
In the Day Talon, I was able to fit my GB Outdoors ax, Gerber saw, Mont-Bell Thermawrap parka and shell jacket on one side, 1st aid kit and possibles kit on the other side.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing that dramatic, just lots of crap to carry around. I'd like to see if I can get ahold of a 6300 and see how big the top opening is; that'd give me a good idea.

Tanner

It's a big bag, Tanner! I'm used to BORA 80/95s and MR Grizzlys, and this bag is still plenty big... Plus, it's pretty flexible for loading, with the option to pack between the frame and bag.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BBerg
Kevin,
If you could please comment on Cuben fiber, its feel, if it is noisy, what colours is it available in...?
Thanking you in advance,

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hi Cuben is custom, but generally available in Gray. It is the lightest of the bunch, but also the most pricey. It does have a stiff feel like the XPAC materials, and is somewhat noisy.

I have done a lot of testing , through oak brush and similar with XPAC, and generally the smoother faced materials fair pretty well because they don't catch on stuff. So yesterday, I hit the slick rock and had a packbag of VX07 in red, and a cuben base talon. I drug the pack up slick rock a few feet a few times, and then I kicked it and let it tumble a few times probably totaling 60 or 80 feet of tumbling. The cuben did get one small puncture wound, and the VX07 XPAC suffered mostly dirt, and maybe a little abrasion.

The 6300 Roll Top is gigantic. The opening is 48 inches circumference. The real volume is probably closer to 6800. I can't imagine people needing a much bigger bag, unless they carry animals and camp in the bag, or use big synthetic cold weather bags. For reference, I used a 5 degree 600 fil down bag, and an 8 man tipi plus normal November gear for 5 days in 4800 / base talon combo. It was a little tight, but certainly doable without anything on the outside.

We do work with some other fabrics, but most of what we sell is Gray VX21 XPAC 4800 Roll Top bags. The newer camo we are using is a bit lighter, and probably not as noisy in cold since the inside finish was changed a bit. If you want something custom we can do it, but none of the materials we work with , including Cordura would we consider quite.

Since there are a lot of comments on how the bag attaches, we have been working on a version called the Unaweep in which the frame and bag are integrated. This will be a great , less expensive option for those of you do not need all the modularity. It is something that can work with current framing , so for instance you could use a Unaweep bag for summer, and then go to the load shelf / detachable bags for hunting season. I'm really impressed with this variation. Angie did a fantastic job from concept to design. IMO the design is the epitome of minimalistic perfection. Very functional, very simple, very capable, nothing extra. This variation in red will be about 2 lbs 12 ounces when complete with a Talon. It will have a slightly different talon as standard. Compression and Suspension is pretty much exactly the same as the standard line up.

Here are a couple photos of the Retro Red.
Compressed
[Linked Image]

Light Load
[Linked Image]

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When will the Unaweep be ready for purchase. You don't need an independent gear tester for that one do ya? grin

Full disclosure: I once traded PMs with Kevin T.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Soon, hopefully this week. We just need to hash out final details and pricing. It will probably be a 6 to 8 week lead time, which isn't much more than we are running now.

Thanks for the testing offer, but I think I got this one covered smile

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Will you have one at BHA that I can check out?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yes , but not one you can take home with you at that time smile We will likely have a new Talon or two as well at BHA.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Pricing is out. For a comfortable, load hauling , true UL pack (it weighs less than many golite packs) I think you will find the pricing very attractive. The differences are subtle and mostly the reduction of some of the modularity (which I know is attractive). This more point based product, saves weight and increases manufacturing efficiency, which saves you money while still retaining the core features and quality. There is not one piece of hardware, that does not have a purpose to the core function. The plus side is, that with a more exposed frame, you can add stuff all over if you desire.

BTW the new gateways packs are ready as well. Available in Sil and Cuben

Let me know if you have any questions.

Unaweep UL Backpack

Oh BTW, it's still made in the U.S.A

Last edited by Kevin_T; 03/10/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carried mine for the first time today. Did a hike, maybe 4-5 miles, nothing grueling. I just loaded a "daypack" load in it: First aid kit, stove & pot, poncho, TP kit, fire starting kit, some doo-dads, snacks, instant beverages, a liter & 1/2 of water, a jacket and.... a Gransfors Bruks Wildlife hatchet! grin
I had an HPG Kitbag on front with camera, compass, .38spl, eyeglasses, etc. Total weight was about 21-22 lbs. With a sore shoulder I cinched down the belt tight and had no issues. The pack was very comfortable, no rub spots, no pinching. The belt held without slipping with no pack weight on the shoulders. The belt is very comfortable & I've never used a pack with a wrap-around belt and without the big lumbar pad. I like that. To me, it's more comfortable and eliminates that pressure point of the lumbar pad.

While this isn't a review, I have nothing but positive impressions. I'm no pack expert and with my sore shoulder it was fairly lightly loaded but I was happy.

I also have no $ interest in the company other than what I have invested in this pack. Kevin T is my dad though. However, that in no way influences what I'm saying here. He made me pay for my pack. Really. whistle

Last edited by snubbie; 03/10/14.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Snubbie, Kevin is getting a little long in the tooth, but he's not quite THAT old!

S
SCT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Can the gun hook be used with packs of another manufacturer? Specifically a Dana Terraframe.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
Let me know if you have any questions.

Yes, could you bring one to the BHA shindig that I can take home with me? grin

Seriously though, how much effort would be involved in changing out the Unaweep bag with a larger bag?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RockChucker30
Snubbie, Kevin is getting a little long in the tooth, but he's not quite THAT old!

Ouch!!! Good one!

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Hi Kevin,

For those with a frame already, is it possible to buy the Unaweep assembly for when you want a light streamlined pack? I'm currently using a drybag and talon, but wouldn't mind something with a few more features.

Thanks!

Page 16 of 21 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.