Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Lots of bears right now...it's interesting to see their different methods of catching the fish...

Explore! Brooks Falls Webcam

Last edited by Sagebrusher; 07/17/13.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
LOL there are some entertaining idiot comments on that page, too:

"Is it possible that bears eat these salmons while they are still living? For me, they seems moving in bears' paw."

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I like to be there the first week of October. No tourists and the trout fishing all to ourselves. Of course over say a 8 hr day of fishing, you might actually only get 4 hrs in the water with all those bears cruising around.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ptarmigan
I like to be there the first week of October. No tourists and the trout fishing all to ourselves. Of course over say a 8 hr day of fishing, you might actually only get 4 hrs in the water with all those bears cruising around.

Must be awesome to be able to get out there when there are few tourists.
Looks like this is one place where the salmon fisherman hang out...I am not sure of the precise location, I am assuming near the park headquarters?

Lower River cam

Last edited by Sagebrusher; 07/17/13.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The water is a bit slow down there. That camera looks like it is on the viewing platform right beside the floating bridge. I have been stuck on that bridge for an hour waiting for the bears to move away from the gates on the end of it. I really like to fish for trout at the outlet of Lake Brooks where the river begins. That spot is easier to deal with all the bears as well.

I would pass on Brooks any day though to fish at Grosvenor. That place is about a 2 minute plane ride from the cabin we stay at on Naknek Lake. The trout fishing is there is unreal!!

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

If you like being there, I assume the idiot staff has left by then.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There is a few people there closing it down. We fly in with my friends 206 and we do our own thing.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
thanks for that post of webcam link, thats awesome! I know im not headed up there but I going to alaska for the first time in less than a month!!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerslayerok
thanks for that post of webcam link, thats awesome! I know im not headed up there but I going to alaska for the first time in less than a month!!

You're welcome. Good luck with your hunt in the Brooks Range. Maybe you'll see some bears up there, too!

Hey Ptarmigan, I was looking at the Katmai Map http://www.nps.gov/katm/planyourvisit/upload/KATM_Park%20Map_for_web1.pdf
and was wondering if you have been up to Nonvianuk Lake and the National Preserve area? Looks like there are a bunch of lodges up there... sure would be a sweet place to work.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have not been over to Kulik. My buddy worked there for a summer as a camp hand. He loved being there but didnt get paid enough to stay. He did create some excitement though. One day it was blowing pretty hard and they had him go burn trash. He burned for a bit and went back to the lodge. Not long after there was a lot of hollering going on and people on phones and radios running like crazy. I guess some embers flew into the woods and started a nasty little forest fire. He said it wasnt one of his shining moments, starting a forest fire in a National Park and all.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have not been over to Kulik. My buddy worked there for a summer as a camp hand. He loved being there but didnt get paid enough to stay. He did create some excitement though. One day it was blowing pretty hard and they had him go burn trash. He burned for a bit and went back to the lodge. Not long after there was a lot of hollering going on and people on phones and radios running like crazy. I guess some embers flew into the woods and started a nasty little forest fire. He said it wasnt one of his shining moments, starting a forest fire in a National Park and all.

Oops!

I was looking at Kulik Lodge online, almost 100 percent positive reviews on Trip Advisor, etc. Sounds like that company is a good one, usually if the guests are happy so are the
employees, even if they're only paid in views and fish.

Looks like the salmon run at Brooks is winding down. I hear there is another run late August/September.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool webcam

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rough looking old bear on there right now, I think he lost a fight!

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by raybass

Or maybe won several... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very well could have went that way too. He was not a little bear that's for sure.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by raybass

Or maybe won several... smile

Probably Ted, Otis, or Ugly.

Ted loses against Ugly back in 2007:

Last edited by Sagebrusher; 09/18/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ouch! The bear I saw stood out, dark colored, bad right ear that was mangled with some bald spots on his face and side. All on the right side, the right ear was kinda broke over almost sticking straight out to the side. Pretty big bear too. He either gave worse or got the raw end of the deal.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sounds like Otis. The floppy ear is recent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big boar now.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
*bump* Otis is on the bear cam right now. Looks like he weighs twice as much as he did a few months ago!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.