Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've carried a Benchmade 585 for a few years and have decided that I'd like something a little different. The blade on this knife isn't the greatest, hard to get a good edge and doesn't hold one well either. Other than the blade material I love the knife. Anyone have any good suggestions on an assisted opening EDC knife that has a blade material that takes an edge well and holds it for a while?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
been carrying a Benchmade 710(D2 Steel) since the hog hunt in March cause i bought it off tex n cal there.....lil bigger blade than i normally carry but ive been happy with it, holds an edge well and sharpens easy.....use it alot for opening boxes and cutting cardboard...but its not assisted opening but it opens easy with the thumb stud one handed....

Last edited by rattler; 07/19/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
WOW, surprised to hear your comments on the Barrage as I've been carrying the "Mini" Barrage for about 4 years now. I use an Edge Pro Apex knife sharpener and have no problems getting it shaving sharp and the edge last for quite awhile. In fact, it's been going on 2 months since I last sharpened it.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I sharpen with a paper wheel on a bench grinder. No problem getting most knives scary sharp, not just cut hair, but you can honestly shave with them. The blade is so hard on that 585 that I just can't seem to get a good edge and what little edge I do get doesn't seem to last. I have a ton of skinning knives in D2 and they will hold an edge much longer for me. Great knife, just not a fan of 154cm stainless for a blade.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
154CM isn't the problem.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this is what i use to sharpen my knives......prolly not the best but i tend to have one handy cause they are cheap so i have bought a few and spread them out to spots where i might need to sharpen a knife....one in the truck, one in my hunting pack, one in my laptop bag so i can touch up the knife while traveling if i need to.....ive used other stuff in the past but always ran into the same problem, i needed to sharpen a blade and it was sitting on a bench at home cause it was to bulky to pack around.....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rattler; 07/19/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Been happy with my Buck vantage pro in s30v. Wouldn't call it assisted opening but it is smooth, holds an edge and is priced right.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I 've one of those also and like the S30v but am not used to the way it opens up. The slot /hole in the blade is useless, IMO.

Right now I'm at work and have a Kershaw Random Task II on my side......

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
154CM isn't the problem.
jmho
Tim

Agree 100%

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Kershaw Leek. Can get it in different steel depending on what you want to spend. opens easy and the blade shape is great for cutting rope, boxes, wire, anything else you can think of. I abuse the hell out of mine and it is still hanging tough.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In my ever so humble opinion, I'd say the Spyderco Southard is 'the best'. It's a flipper, but makes a supurb EDC blade.
Steel on mine is CTS204P. I have not sharpened it yet, but have touched the edge up once with a ceramic stick.[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My work EDCs and my "day off" EDCs vary greatly.

At work, I pretty need a pocket clip and something that will open easily with one hand. Or a fixed blade and a user friendly sheath.

On days off, I generally carry something smaller and more traditional. But not always. I guess it just depends on my agenda.

When I venture into "the hood", I often carry a "Gerber-style" boot knife, of which I have 3 of......

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I was a big fan of BM for years, but now that a large portion of their folders are assisted opening, not so much. I'm still a fan of their standard one hand open designs but much prefer Zero Tolerance for assisted opening. I've carried a ZT 0350 for about 3 years now and my wife carries a ZT 0301. Both are rock solid designs.

Murph
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Been carrying a Kershaw Whirlwind for quite a few years now. A smidgen larger than necessary, but fits my hand perfectly and opens nicely. Think I'm I my 3rd one now.. the tip doesn't do too well for what I thought (both times) was a "gentle" pry. blush

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Old trapper, thanks for the recommendation. I just received my Buck Vantage Pro in S30V in the mail today. I got the smaller version and think I am going to like it a bunch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been carring A Kershaw Whirlwind for ever and really like it.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I really liked my Benchmade Stryker with Nitrous assist.
But...I am still carrying my Benchmade 710 with D2 and have for 4 years. My previous 710 (6 years) was 154 and I really liked it as well. No issues sharpening.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem338win
I really liked my Benchmade Stryker with Nitrous assist.
But...I am still carrying my Benchmade 710 with D2 and have for 4 years. My previous 710 (6 years) was 154 and I really liked it as well. No issues sharpening.

thats why i like mine, really easy and quick to get it back razor sharp....and it holds an edge pretty damn good given mine gets used on cardboard a hell of alot which tends to dull knives pretty quick(im to lazy to go find a box cutter)....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.