Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
BSA, you really did well if that is what you paid. I would find the money pretty quick for just about any 348 Win for 600.00! You did really well with yours and it looks excellent.

Can't wait to see it on the targets and especially what it looks like up against an old elk.. Should be pretty fun stalking the timber with that big rifle in your hands.

I have told myself, it is the next rifle I will add to my safe, before anything else.. Have to make it a priority now, I have bad Rifle ADD.....

Not $600 my friend: A "little more", like I said earlier ($900.00) grin . I can tell you guys this because I don't think I'll ever get rid of this thing. My gunsmith told me the dang bolt peep is worth $700.00 since it's a bastid to find, and mine's all there. I finally shot it yesterday after my buddy blackdog1 sold me some ammo on the cheap. It shoots and functions very well. I don't know how anyone would pass up any m71 at $600.00!!! beretzs, I hear you about the rifle ADD... grin blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's great. What were you shooting out of it? Factory 200's?

Glad your getting some range time with it. How's it feel overall? I'm on the search!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's great. What were you shooting out of it? Factory 200's?

Glad your getting some range time with it. How's it feel overall? I'm on the search!

Feels awesome buddy. I tried some factory 200 gr remingtons and some factory 250gr. winchesters. I'd post some target pics, but the rear bolt peep was loosening up as I shot and I couldn't adjust for elevation as it looked like the elevation adjust screw hadn't been moved in 50+ years (honestly). Today after I cleaned the rifle, I went to town tightening things that were loose and loosening things that were stuck grin...If you guys promise not to laugh, I'll show some range/target pics grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BSA has a sweetie of a 71...... I had the pleasure of fondling it for a while yesterday while we sat, visited and jawed about Winnies. I've owned quite a few 71's over the years and his is a very good one. An honest wear, early long tang with a complete bolt peep is a plus, plus, plus.
How do they feel....... Well....let's put it this way....when you cycle cartridges through it, its like manually shifting an exquisite transmission.....smooth, positive and strong.
JMHO,

BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not going to make fun of nobody!

Sounds like it was a blast!

Lets see em!

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ok guys, here goes. Like I said, the bolt peep was loose, but that has been fixed now and I couldn't get the elevation screw to turn with my hand so I had to do that at home too. Now it works great, seems like there is a lot of upward travel in that peep...Nice that I can turn the adjustment by hand now too blush...:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And 5 shots offhand at 50 yards:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's going to shoot much better with the bolt peep squared away, factory loads went from 150s to 250's hence the generous sight adjustment.....
Looking forward to seeing more..........

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Bob, I really look forward to shooting and carrying this ol girl some more. I was thinking to myself today (at work) that I wish I had more field time with a lever gun sick...We'll see how it works out though..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BSA, looks plenty good for killing elk! That old rifle shoots! Gotta feel good knowing some decent hand loads will probably stack em! Way to go buddy!

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just love the look and feel of the Whelen influenced Winchesters, models 64, 65 & 71....the 71 being my favorite. Nothing compares to cycling that big action. My 71 and 65 have the bolt peeps, the slickest sight there is. My 64 has a "climin' Lyman".

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks beretzs. I really look forward to packing this thing this year. Most of my elk I've shot here have been within 90 yards, so with a little practice and some good handloads I think it will work pretty good...That and a dumb elk to stand just right for me to pull the trigger on laugh....Actually blackdog1 showed me some 220 gr. barnes bullets he pulled from the offside hides of elk he's killed with the 348 and they looked pretty impressive. I think they will definitely get the job done wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks beretzs. I really look forward to packing this thing this year. Most of my elk I've shot here have been within 90 yards, so with a little practice and some good handloads I think it will work pretty good...That and a dumb elk to stand just right for me to pull the trigger on laugh....Actually blackdog1 showed me some 220 gr. barnes bullets he pulled from the offside hides of elk he's killed with the 348 and they looked pretty impressive. I think they will definitely get the job done wink

Yeah, I'm thinking anything from 200 on up is going to put the hurting on elk!

Your not helping my M71 deficit. Makes the drive to get one of my own even higher. It's amazing those old rifles shoot so danged well.

Yeah, those 220 or 250 Barnes Originals would be pretty cool.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yeah, I'm thinking anything from 200 on up is going to put the hurting on elk!

Your not helping my M71 deficit. Makes the drive to get one of my own even higher. It's amazing those old rifles shoot so danged well.

Yeah, those 220 or 250 Barnes Originals would be pretty cool.

grin

Did anyone buy that browning 71 high grade yet...That's a beautiful rifle and it is very reminiscent of the old 71's...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yup. Went for 955.00. I'm sick!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ohhhhhhh.....Me too. sick...That was a nice one!!!

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
2 Model 71 Deluxes short tangs

[Linked Image]

And my favorite...1937 long tang standard with buckhorn sight...at 59 the peeps don't cut it anymore...and it is a shooter.....

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by KevinK
2 Model 71 Deluxes short tangs

[Linked Image]

And my favorite...1937 long tang standard with buckhorn sight...at 59 the peeps don't cut it anymore...and it is a shooter.....

[Linked Image]

Jeeze, I am pretty sure my heart just stopped! Those are beautiful! Thank you for putting them up. Awesome rifles, truly dream rifles for me.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Those are awesome!! Thanks for posting. You have excellent taste..

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Yeah no doubt those are gorgeous!!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Have a 71 in a shooter grade that I would consider trading on a Savage 99 358 cal with cut checkering. PM me if you have something. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (01Foreman400, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 3,017 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.