-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
F
You'll like it. It's a great rifle. I've got a Deluxe made in 37, also.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Love the old mod 71's, but the kind of hunting I do boating into islands in Alaska would be to hard on them for my conscience. Have the new win and am thrilled with it, more accurate than any of the older one's I ever worked with. Nice that don't feel bad when get scratch's, a little rust etc.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"I think I will pass on this. Win.71 "

Okay. That's one less thing to have to worry about.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Awesome

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I lusted after a 71 it seems my entire life. Every time it seemed I had gotten to where I could afford one the prices had gone up again. I looked at several over the years. Always either too much money or they had been overly abused. Even saw one that the action would not stay closed on unless you held the lever agains't the tang.... overload?

Anyhow a few years ago my favorite Gun haunt had a very nice one sitting on the rack. It was a post war Deluxe that had been drilled and tapped on the side for a scope mount. Somone had done a clean job and had gone too the trouble of fashioning flush screws to plug the holes. It showed a little honest wear but had been clearly cared for. Best of all its bore, muzzle and chamber were bright and shiny and it locked up tight as a bank vault. What can I say? It was a shooter, it was nice and was in my price range so I took it home. It is one of my most prized firearms. It handles like a good shotgun. There really is no substitute for some things. With 250gr. Woodleighs and 4350 it holds 1.5 inch at 100 yards. That is beyond good and more accurate than it needs to be for my purposes. The reality of the dream has been wonderful. Hands off my 71 wink

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I love my 71!! I got the opportunity to take it elk hunting this last fall and it was a dream!! I like everything about the rifle. It will stay with me for a looooooooooong time laugh cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, just keep rubbing it in! Ha!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Man, just keep rubbing it in! Ha!

I'll let you shoot it next time you are down laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm in! I just bought an old box of 250 grain Silvertips in the old WW box. Figure they'll get used someday.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's cool buddy. I know you will end up with a nice 71 too. That hard to find ammo will come in handy.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have to add as well a little bit about the first time I shot my 71. I had just finished checking the Zero on my .300 Weatherby Fibermark and old Ruger M-77 338 Winchester. I sat down behind the 71. The stories of vicious recoil playing through my head. And then the trigger broke and she went off. I sat there and chuckled, "recoil?" After shooting the big case boomers the .348 felt pretty tame. My .35 Whelen Model 1895 is a lot more lively! Anyhow my .348 with its weight, stock design and factory rubber recoil pad is a pleasure to shoot. If you like Lever Rifles you owe it too yourself to at least shoot one. I think the word that sums them up is.......smoothe...... wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LJB3
I have to add as well a little bit about the first time I shot my 71. I had just finished checking the Zero on my .300 Weatherby Fibermark and old Ruger M-77 338 Winchester. I sat down behind the 71. The stories of vicious recoil playing through my head. And then the trigger broke and she went off. I sat there and chuckled, "recoil?" After shooting the big case boomers the .348 felt pretty tame. My .35 Whelen Model 1895 is a lot more lively! Anyhow my .348 with its weight, stock design and factory rubber recoil pad is a pleasure to shoot. If you like Lever Rifles you owe it too yourself to at least shoot one. I think the word that sums them up is.......smoothe...... wink

Great post. I think you hit the nail on the head..

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I never lusted after an M71, but did respect them as a quick-handling, short-range woods rifle. Then....I walked into a sporting goods store and looked over the used gun rack.
There happened to be a Browning carbine sitting there. As soon as I had it in my hands, it was true love.
I ran a few boxes of handloads through it, and every round got me more impressed.
I was unhappy with the hard-to-find bullet size so I thought a bit. My wife says I don't need a reason to change one of my tools. I had a reason this time. Hmmm, what to do....
I rebarrelled it to .375/348 Improved!
It has a Redfield peep-sight, and the same length 20" tube.
The ballistics are just slightly less than the .375 H&H Magnum, about 200fps less with 300gr RN bullets.
"Yeah, tho' I walk thru the valley of the shadow of the biggest, meanest bear in the world, I fear him not, as I've got my M71 with me."
Have fun,
Gene

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mavrick
I never lusted after an M71, but did respect them as a quick-handling, short-range woods rifle. Then....I walked into a sporting goods store and looked over the used gun rack.
There happened to be a Browning carbine sitting there. As soon as I had it in my hands, it was true love.
I ran a few boxes of handloads through it, and every round got me more impressed.
I was unhappy with the hard-to-find bullet size so I thought a bit. My wife says I don't need a reason to change one of my tools. I had a reason this time. Hmmm, what to do....
I rebarrelled it to .375/348 Improved!
It has a Redfield peep-sight, and the same length 20" tube.
The ballistics are just slightly less than the .375 H&H Magnum, about 200fps less with 300gr RN bullets.
"Yeah, tho' I walk thru the valley of the shadow of the biggest, meanest bear in the world, I fear him not, as I've got my M71 with me."
Have fun,
Gene

That does sound like a HAMMER! I wouldn't imagine much that wouldn't tackle real nicely..

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just picked a new to me 71 up yesterday.
Bittersweet.
Friend had a stroke and won't hunt again.
He got it in 1942 as a graduation present.
In 1942 the day after you graduated you enlisted.
So he got to hunt with it in 1946 for the first time.
I don't know if he had the barrel shortened. I'll ask him Monday.
I'd rather hunt with him than have the gun.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 04/11/14.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm sorry to hear of your friend but glad you have his rifle. Should be a real special one.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
I'm sorry to hear of your friend but glad you have his rifle. Should be a real special one.

It is. Real special to me.

I have seen pictures of this 71 in Gun Digest and such for 30+ years.

It came with both the Peep sight and a 2 1/2 Alaskan.

And a thousand built in memories and stories.

Thanks

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I hope you keep adding more memories too it.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I want to take a buffalo. Bob never got to.

His true stories were better than any lie I could make up.

Winning a hat from Elmer Keith........how do you top that. LOL

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh man! A buffalo with a Model 71! If I pulled that off I believe you all would be tired of seeing the pictures!

I love the heck out of my Browning. I couldn't imagine how beautiful a real Winchester would be.

Semper Fi
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

611 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.