Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone ever put snow guards on a corrugated metal roof? I have a 12' wide covered deck that encircles my place. The roof surface is 20g corrugated galvanized metal roofing sheets. When I put it up, I did not consider the fact that snow would slide off of it en masse.

I have to put something on to stop the sliding before I do any kind of gutters, etc or they will get ripped to shreds the first time there is an avalanche of snow.

The problem? Snow guards abound for standing seam roofing in a bunch of price ranges, but not so much for corrugated roofing.

Looking for something that is mechanically fastened and metal. I have found one product that is a cast snow guard, but they go for about $7 a piece. Not too bad, but I am going to need about 400 of them! Was looking for something a little more economical. Anyone out there ever use anything like what I am looking for?

Stush
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Angle metal, either aluminum or iron, staggered sections screwed down through the roofing.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Angle metal, either aluminum or iron, staggered sections screwed down through the roofing.

Ed

I used aluminum 2x2 angle instead of steel. More expensive but no rust either

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let it slide off!

Just shovel it away from the door.

Then the weight of the snow and ice won't overload the roof.

My camp has a steel roof and overhangs. It's survived VT winters for over 50 years and is going strong.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't absolutely need gutters then don't install them. I hate our metal roof.We have 10 foot 3 inch angle guards on our roof and the gutters still get ripped off.

When you install your guards with screws don't forget to put a dab of sealant on the underside of the guards as the screw O ring only seals from the top side and water can still leak under.

Denny.

IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'm sure glad I don't have gutters. I can plant stuff all around the house and its watered when it rains, which is rare out here.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
IMHO snow guards "tries" to defeat the purpose of using metal roofing. I know too many instances where they are torn off. Metal that is screwed down holds the snow anyway. I prefer the clip rib if you actually want the snow to slide off. If the snow is going to slide off, one way or the other putting on rain gutters are just an invitation for them to be torn off.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't want to use gutters, but the damn rain is cutting a line around the house that the wife does not like. I could live with it. She cannot because it messes up her landscaping. Therefore, I need to do something. smile

I actually was considering something like the 'rain handler' that breaks up the run off and disperses it around the house, instead of gutters. Even with those though, I will need some way to keep the snow from ripping them off the fascia.

Stush
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recall a gutter set up that cathces rain off the roof but snow slides right over.
Snow guards that allow a controlled melt are a good thing if you get a lot of snow and have a roof able to with stand the load.
Snow that slides off a roof piles high and sets hard. That makes it a bitch to shovel and it is the last snow to disappear in the spring.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a couple of possibilities.
Least labor intensive , a 1 1/2 foot wide strip of medium sized rock where the drip line is . Wife can pick out whatever color that blends with the landscaping.

Next in labor : See if they would guarantee something like this for ice and snow sliding off . You'll likley need gutter brackets every foot to carry the weight .
http://www.gutterhelmet.com/

Next : If you are or have someone physically able to , put them up in the spring and take them down in the fall , use brackets to support the gutters and screws to hold the brackets in place so they can be removed as well.

Snow and ice can be powerful.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have them on my Virginia home and the heavy snow and ice has torn them off and i had to have them replaced. They did save the gutters from being torn off

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I like the gutter helmet idea.

Wanted to try these:

http://www.rainhandler.com

But, I can't find anyone that has used them before.

Originally Posted by M1894

Next in labor : See if they would guarantee something like this for ice and snow sliding off . You'll likley need gutter brackets every foot to carry the weight .
http://www.gutterhelmet.com/

[Linked Image]

Stush
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My brother has a textured metal roof that makes a racket when the slide starts (alarm) and gives you a few seconds to get away from the overhang if you're near one. Sounds bout like a motor cycle crankin up when it starts to slide. A lot of deaths happens each year due to this problem.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Stush
I like the gutter helmet idea.

Wanted to try these:

http://www.rainhandler.com

But, I can't find anyone that has used them before.
I watched the Rainhandler video. What do those accomplish? One of the most important functions of a gutter is to get water away from the foundation to prevent leaks. The Rainhandler spreads the water out a bit but it doesn't remove it. At almost $5/ft, that's a lot of money for nothing.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We don't have any sort of snow guards on our metal roof and in 7 years we haven't had any trouble with the gutters. I've been a bit surprised a few years with the amount of snow that was sitting on them, but they've never come down.

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I fought the PVC gutters for 20 years, putting them up in the spring and taking them down in the fall. Put up seamless metal gutter about 3 years ago, expensive but so far worth it, havent had any trouble with them getting ripped down.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Most gutters are installed with those big aluminum nails. In a few years, they'll pull loose. The problem is that water runs back along the nail and rots out the wood. Using quality brackets that have the screws or nails underneath the gutter so water can't get to the wood will hold more weight and last longer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If you're not worried about redirecting the water...I had a similar problem but took the opposite approach. I went o Menards or somewhere like that, got the biggest plastic / synthetic landscaping timbers I could buy and put them into the ditch being formed by the water running off the roof. I now have a border of landscaping timbers around the house basically even with the edge of the roof overhang. The timbers blend in with the ground and most folks don't see them.

Last edited by RalphBeagle; 07/28/13.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I started useing 1/2'' galvinized electrical conduit with the brackets that have 2 screw holes you can even run elictric heat tape through it to melt the ice

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just saw your sig picture.

I appreciate the humor, but in real life a tax on happiness wouldn't get anywhere at all: just about everybody is unhappy about being taxed, and there goes all your revenue.

Tax unhappiness. Then you might have something.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 39 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.