Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I can get one of these cheap, cheap. I've never shot this cartridge and would like to hear what you're using. I'd like to have this as a back up/plinker. My Ruger 45-70 is my "Big Thunder".

I know the H&R is a 1 in 20 twist. I have two molds that I would like to use - a Lee 310 gr. and a Ranch Dog 265 gr., so if you've got a recipe or advice, please post it.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Steve,
I was a 45-70 fan and never wanted or thought much of the .444 till I shot them on the test range at H&R. After seeing how well they shot I had two rifles fitted with .444 barrels. I also have two set up with 45-70 barrels. We were primarily using these during Mississippi primitive weapon season. I like both cartridges and acknowledge the 45-70 has more horsepower available but honestly prefer the .444. Both of my .444 barrels will shoot sub inch groups at 100 yards.

The load I'm using in mine is:

Rem. brass, WLR primers, 45.0gr. H4198 and the Speer 270gr. GDSP/Deep Curl. I have not chronographed this load, it should be doing approximatley 2200 fps.

The Hodgedon #27 manual shows a max of 46.5gr. of H4198 with the Speer bullet.

I have shot several deer and hogs with this load. Short to no tracking jobs and no bullets have been recovered. Distances have been from 20-160 yards. I highly recommend picking that rifle up.

Robert.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for the help, Robert. It's a new rifle that's been sitting on the store shelf for about a year and a half.

I haven't tried the Speers. I have a Model 92 in 44 magnum, but only shoot cast bullets out of it. It would be good reason to try the Speer 270 gr. and the Hornady 265 gr. bullets in the 444. I'll be heading out shortly to get some brass and will see if they have either of these bullets in stock.

Is the crimping groove usable with that 270 Speer? I was thinking that most of the .430/.432 bullets are made for 44 mags.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Yes the crimping groove can be used in the .444. My loads are not crimped but the bullet is seated to the cannelure.

I picked up on using the Speer bullet from reading articles in Rifle and Handloader magazine written by Brian Pearce. In the articles I've read he was using this bullet in a Marlin 444. I've also seen articles where it was used in .44 magnum loads. In the .444 cartridge I think it makes more sense than the factory loads using 240gr. bullets. Another good use of the Speer 270gr. would be dropping it in a sabot for .50 cal. muzzeloaders.

Hopefully you'll have as much satisfaction with the .444 as I've had.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A student of mine has a .444 that he deer hunts with. He uses the Hornady Lever stuff. I've seen some amazing groups he's shot with it. He's killed a bunch of deer with it.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'll be picking it up next week. In the meantime, I'll load up some jacketed and cast bullets to find the load.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Let us know how it works for you.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I will, and expect that it will be a tad gentler on the shoulder than my 45-70.

I don't load any cartridges as hot as I used to. As I get older, I find myself getting smarter. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I will, and expect that it will be a tad gentler on the shoulder than my 45-70.

I don't load any cartridges as hot as I used to. As I get older, I find myself getting smarter. smile

I love that last part Steve. I just hope I am. I keep telling my kids and students that I'm not as mad at those deer as I used to be...

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

I picked it up this morning. It's a plastic stocked single shot. Levers are for losers, k? This, on the other hand, is a big bore single shot that's practically tactical. Designed to shoot through cement walls and stuff. I added a bipod to ensure that it belonged with the BB* SWAT team. You can see her in the foreground. Her little brother, the 22 Hornet, is the scoped number resting behind.

I got the 444 because it's cool, powerful and nobody else wants one. Few people in Canada can pronounce 444 Marlin, but they can all say 'poutine'. The case is twice the size of its cousin, the 44 magnum. (And twice as big as Tiny Tim!) Fifty Hornady cases were $52.99 +13% GST (gouge and screw tax).

Here's a picture of the 44 magnum and the 444 side by each, with a couple of 325 gr. RNFPGCs Lyman 429649 (334 Gr. with GC) balanced on top. To understand the NKO factor ('Nads Knockout Factor), this bullet manages 1336 fps from my Model 92 Puma (that's my 20 inch cowboy tactical lever action rifle). I haven't tested the 444 yet, but it will easily do 2000 fps. That raises it from "Watch my goodies." to "Oh, my 'nads!" Intense.

I offered my services to President Obama. I told him that I could take down an ICBM with this rifle, if he would provide me with some US made iron sights, but he declined. Hey, when did you guys cut off the foreign aid? Apparently, they are a controlled good and giving me a set would be an ITAR violation.

[Linked Image]

I will develop two loads for this bullet - 1650 fps and 2000 fps. The first being for moose; the second as an offensive round for the Early Warning Assault Team. (EWAT) I'm the team commander for EWAT 2, out of Nerly Corners. The Seemyville fire chief is my 2 i/c.

Mazel Tov, Abdul!

*BB - Big Borez

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve have you been casting and drinking booze at the same time? grin

Love that .444, I have the .45/70...

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd never do that! I could spill my drink, trying to pour the lead.

Our gun club has been repairing the backstops. Three times now I've gone to the club, only to have one of the directors chase me off. And me with a new rifle! This is what I'd do. We have a website, signs, a bulletin board and a newsletter. How about shutting down the range for a few weeks, get the work done, and then re-open it?

What they're doing right now is letting people shoot for an hour or so, then closing it. I guess they figure they're being nice, but heck, it's silly. Close it and send everyone over to the 200 yd range...

Hey, that will never work; it makes too much sense! smile

Gee, I'm Glad It's Raining

Gee, I'm glad it's raining.
There's always something to be thankful for.
I'm awfully glad it's raining.
'Cause no one sees your tear drops when it pours.

And no one knows the thunder,
Is your heartbreak in disguise.
They think the rainy nights
What put that sad look in your eyes...

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
A student of mine has a .444 that he deer hunts with. He uses the Hornady Lever stuff. I've seen some amazing groups he's shot with it. He's killed a bunch of deer with it.

Same here. Poly-tip Hornady factory loads plain shoot. 150yd zero with Redfield Revolution accu-range gives aiming points for 200 and 250 yards. Gongs at those distances are hit hard. Shot a crow with it last year at 160-170yds. Trigger is quite stiff, but H&R's 444 rifles will certainly shoot.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Looks like a lot of fun, and practical too!

Do you know what the twist rate is in that H&R 444?

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, it's 1 in 20, so it will handle the heavyweights. I was going to get a 44 Magnum H&R and bore it out to 445, but the twist is too slow - 1 in 38 for the 44 Mag.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Cool. I was hoping they didn't go 1/38.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
quit crying in the rain. grin

If you didn't live so far away, I'd let you use my "front porch" range.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It kicks azzzz! Everyone, ragged me until they shot it.

Best $175 bucks spent ever!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
u have that right great gun

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.