-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok, my card got hit for deer, which means my wife drew a muzzleloader tag. Neither of us have shot a muzzleloader, so I'm looking for recommendations as to an entry level setup for a beginner. Ideally it'd be relatively easy to use as far as muzzleloaders go. I want to scope it and if we like it at all, will probably do antlerless elk hunts with it. So the capability of, say, minute of cantaloupe at 200 yards would be nice.

This particular deer hunt, I don't anticipate shots greater than 150 yards. Probably more like 80-100.

Suggestions? I was going to default to a T/C of some sort, unless there are other suggestions. I'd like to buy one in the next week or two to give us time to practice. Hunt is end of October.

Last edited by huntinaz; 07/12/13.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
CVA Accura V2, Thumbhole stock. Buy/install Blackhorn209 breech plug and for powder,Blackhorn209 powder with CCI 209M primers.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
T/C Impact. Inexpensive, simple to use, adjustable length of pull if the missus needs it. T/Cs excellent warranty and customer service and Made in the USA.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Accura is a great gun from all accounts, but if by "entry level" you mean accurate, no frills, and less expensive, there are some other good options. All can be had in the $300 range

1) CVA Optima has good reports
2) T/C Impact: basically a low price Omega
3) Knight Vision: break action, no frills Knight

If you will never shoot anything but sabots, then I like the breech and accuracy of the T/C products and the barrels are accurate. But you can't count on (and they will not guarantee) accuracy of conicals

The other two guns should shoot conicals and sabots well and both have good barrels noted for accuracy.

Last edited by txhunter58; 07/12/13.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
CVA Wolf 50 caliber with 3x9-40 paid 185.00 new for it. I just purchased mine! I'm planning on running 250 grain shockwaves with 100 grains of loose powder of Triple 7 FFF. It uses a 209 shotgun primer. I have yet to take it to the range but think it should be a good combo?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The Accura is a great gun from all accounts, but if by "entry level" you mean accurate, no frills, and less expensive, there are some other good options. All can be had in the $300 range

1) CVA Optima has good reports
2) T/C Impact: basically a low price Omega
3) Knight Vision: break action, no frills Knight

If you will never shoot anything but sabots, then I like the breech and accuracy of the T/C products and the barrels are accurate. But you can't count on (and they will not guarantee) accuracy of conicals

The other two guns should shoot conicals and sabots well and both have good barrels noted for accuracy.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm looking at. I'll be shooting sabots, most likely exclusively.

The other recommendation I've gotten is Traditions... any opinions there?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have been shooting inline muzzleloaders for years. Took my biggest rack ever with one in 2003.
I own/have owned TC,Marlin,Knight, and CVA. I just shot a new CVA Optima yesterday, and I think it's a good rifle. It's about as accurate as my Encore, has a better trigger, and was reasonably priced.
A nice thing about muzzleloaders is that they don't require an FFL, so you can order one online.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by huntinaz

The other recommendation I've gotten is Traditions... any opinions there?

Why would you want to send your $$ offshore when T/C & Knight cover the gamut and are made here by folks that live, work and hunt along side us?

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Because CVA makes some bad ass muzzleloaders that offer better guns, especially triggers and barrels that will shoot both conicals and sabots.

My Traditions Vortek LDR would seriously put 3 shots with the 300gr FPB into one tiny nickle size hole at 100 yards.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ok, my card got hit for deer, which means my wife drew a muzzleloader tag. Neither of us have shot a muzzleloader, so I'm looking for recommendations as to an entry level setup for a beginner. Ideally it'd be relatively easy to use as far as muzzleloaders go. I want to scope it and if we like it at all, will probably do antlerless elk hunts with it. So the capability of, say, minute of cantaloupe at 200 yards would be nice.

This particular deer hunt, I don't anticipate shots greater than 150 yards. Probably more like 80-100.

Suggestions? I was going to default to a T/C of some sort, unless there are other suggestions. I'd like to buy one in the next week or two to give us time to practice. Hunt is end of October.

I'm going to be at the Quemado get together in August. I can bring this along for you... $500 ftf for the works. There is $150 in Noslers alone with it

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/7832376/Knight_LTD_ED_DISC704W_Walnut_

Last edited by eh76; 07/13/13.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A friend bought a Traditions last year from Cabelas ,on sale, $139 and it shoots as well as my more expensive inline. Not as many bells and whistles.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the replies guys. I just ordered a CVA Wolf 50 Cal for $190 shipped NIB. I have an old Weaver K4 I think I'll put on it. Reviews seem to be favorable enough for these, and I can always upgrade if we get deeper into this muzzleloader thing in the coming years.

I'm thinking about trying a .452 260gr LSWC first, but may move to a 250-300gr XTP. Decisions, decisions. For close range deer I was gonna be looking in the 70-100gr of powder, at least to start. Any other tips... feel free to post. We have a few months to play around with a load.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great gun for the money. I honestly cant see a difference in accuracy between the wolf and v2 accura. The triggers on ours normally run in the very low 3lb range with no grit or take up.

XTP with factory sabot did great in mine as well. I do believe i shot the 300gr versions though. Depending on powder, If i were using T7 or BH209, 90 grains volume is where i would start.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by tmitch
T/C Impact. Inexpensive, simple to use, adjustable length of pull if the missus needs it. T/Cs excellent warranty and customer service and Made in the USA.

Jake, should I even comment on this or just let it be? :-)

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hahahaha. I think I know where you're going with that.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You Definitely Should Know...

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Finding a clean Knight Wolverine is usually a great bargain rifle for starting out. Green Mountain barrels are a gem.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a CVA Optima just after a divorce when $$ was tight. I planned on upgrading but it's so accurate "upgrading" would just boil down to change so it has become permanent.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80

Jake, should I even comment on this or just let it be? :-)

Hahahaha. I think I know where you're going with that.

Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
You Definitely Should Know...

Would rather read your comment than the pillow talk.

Last edited by tmitch; 07/19/13.

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There you go....

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

722 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.