Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
how to ship rifles 101- the bigfish9684 method:

1) Find old rifle box and turn it inside out so the firearm manufacturers logos don't show (or custom make one from a larger box).

2) Cut 2 - 1/4" plywood sheets to match the large flat sides of the box so they fit inside the box on either side of the rifle- position them.

3) Wrap/cushion/secure the rifle as best you can so it WILL NOT move during shipping. I usually remove the bolt and wrap it and secure it somewhere else in the box. Not real sure why... I just do.

4) This part is not necessary but makes it easy for the receiving FFL to contact me if need be. I copy my driver's license with current address and also write my phone number on the copy, as well as who the rifle is for on the receiving end. This just makes things easy for everyone if something goes wrong and people need to be contacted. Again, not necessary, but I do it this way. Then secure everything with packing materials.

5) Duct Tape. And more Duct Tape. I get the tape as tight as I can and make sure nothing is moving inside the box. I'm sure the receiving FFL hates it but all my rifles have made it to the buyer with no issue... yet.

6) Shipping label: PRINT. CLEARLY. And I do not put the gunshop's name, just the FFL holder. I am also known to write LPG in place of Low Price Guns (or Bud's and not Bud's Gun Shop) and the name of the FFL holder. I also put "C/O XXXXXXX" for the buyer's name. Then I cover my shipping label in clear packing tape so it does not tear. Double check the duct tape and head to the PO.

7) At the post office, I say "Cheap and Slow, insured for $XXX value with tracking/confirmation." They will ask if there is anything breakable, perishable, something and something else... I answer "No." Pay and leave. Runs me about $40 to get a 20ish pound rifle package to PA from WA, insured. Most buyers of my rifles say the rifle arrived in a veritable bank vault. Costs me a little extra, but is more solid (to me) than a cheap plastic hard case in a cardboard box.

Now... continue smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody here using golf club boxes to ship long guns. If you are, where is the best source?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by GSP814
UPS, Fed Ex or USPS? Thanks.
Take it to your gunsmith/dealer and pay him to ship it.

Gunner
Or just pack it up yourself and send it. As was the focus of the original inquiry.

True, but taking it in gives me reason to look around. whistle

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I give up arguing with the "experts" and admitted liars.

But here is a little very current reality of what really happens when shipping rifles and associated items.

Just mailed two boxes (45 minutes ago) of reloading items and bullets (no powder or primers) by USPS. When I asked for $600 insurance, the USPS clerk asked what was in the boxes. For giggles, I asked, "What if I do not want to say". She said then, "We will not ship them!" So I told her and had to make sure she understood bullets were not loaded cartridges. Could I have argued and asked for a supervisor and got them shipped after opening the boxes or having them flagged for a postal inspector to look at sometime next week? Maybe, but not likely. As it is, they are shipped legally and insured legally!

Before that I had just shipped a $4000 rifle (to the same buyer) thru UPS this morning, again insured. Again I was asked what was in the box when I asked for $4000 insurance and when I said a rifle, the UPS clerk asked to see the FFL, which I produced. By the way UPS put on the insurance sticker the items that are "supposed" to be in the box. Good luck filing a claim for a rifle when you tell them on the insurance that it was a (scope stand or something else). I left the paper FFL home one time, argued, asked to see the supervisor and got sent home to get the FFL. Another time, UPS refused to ship again until I remembered I had the FFL on my phone, pulled it up and they were happy once they confirmed the address on the box and the FFL was the same.

Believe what you want, do what you want and argue with who you want trying to ship. Do not be surprised if you are shown the door. Lie about contents and good luck getting reimbursed on a claim.

Forget the federal code, GCA, this is reality.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So by "sticker" do you mean the shipping tag attached to the outside of the box?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BountyHunter
I don't recall anyone "lying," but you've now resorted to just making up bullshit in a lame attempt to save face. You were wrong when you began posting in this thread and you're even more wrong in your exit.

But here is a little very current reality of what really happens when shipping rifles and associated items.
Reality? You're sure as hell not qualified to even utter that word, you dickhead.

Just mailed two boxes (45 minutes ago) of reloading items and bullets (no powder or primers) by USPS. When I asked for $600 insurance, the USPS clerk asked what was in the boxes. For giggles, I asked, "What if I do not want to say". She said then, "We will not ship them!" So I told her and had to make sure she understood bullets were not loaded cartridges. Could I have argued and asked for a supervisor and got them shipped after opening the boxes or having them flagged for a postal inspector to look at sometime next week? Maybe, but not likely. As it is, they are shipped legally and insured legally!
You're making up bullshit now.

Before that I had just shipped a $4000 rifle (to the same buyer) thru UPS this morning, again insured. Again I was asked what was in the box when I asked for $4000 insurance and when I said a rifle, the UPS clerk asked to see the FFL, which I produced. By the way UPS put on the insurance sticker the items that are "supposed" to be in the box. Good luck filing a claim for a rifle when you tell them on the insurance that it was a (scope stand or something else). I left the paper FFL home one time, argued, asked to see the supervisor and got sent home to get the FFL. Another time, UPS refused to ship again until I remembered I had the FFL on my phone, pulled it up and they were happy once they confirmed the address on the box and the FFL was the same.
And did you all hold hands and dance in a circle and curtsy to each other, too?

Believe what you want, do what you want and argue with who you want trying to ship. Do not be surprised if you are shown the door. Lie about contents and good luck getting reimbursed on a claim.

Don't have to argue if you know what in the f*ck you're talking about, [bleep]. Which is why you're in the position you're in now: trying to argue your way out of a subject where you're in over your head.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Wow, you are one stupid SOB.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Stoneybroke
Anybody here using golf club boxes to ship long guns. If you are, where is the best source?

Uline has 8" x 4" x 52" boxes fro $2.01/ each 200 lb test.

These with teh outer sleeve look to be a good option too http://www.cameronpackaging.com/AR-15_Boxes.html#CAR50_carton

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
XX
Originally Posted by Bricktop
I don't recall anyone "lying," but you've now resorted to just making up bullshit in a lame attempt to save face. You were wrong when you began posting in this thread and you're even more wrong in your exit.

Reality? You're sure as hell not qualified to even utter that word, you dickhead.

You're making up bullshit now.

And did you all hold hands and dance in a circle and curtsy to each other, too?

Don't have to argue if you know what in the f*ck you're talking about, [bleep]. Which is why you're in the position you're in now: trying to argue your way out of a subject where you're in over your head.

Here is a $1000 challenge to Bricktop.

You said above I was just making things up. Well I can prove it.

I will post the 3 receipts I discussed above when you accept the challenge. If you got the guts, which I seriously doubt.

IF you have the guts to call, and I cannot post the receipts marked shipped today, I will pay $1000 to the charity of your choice in your name.

If you call and I post the receipts, you will write a check to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation in my name.

Check and charity return receipts will be posted here for all to see who is the liar.

Got the guts to call my "making stuff up" as you say? Put some money where you bigass mouth is!

Was I really making stuff up as you say and bluffing you, or are you the arrogant ass blow hard that is a sniveling coward afraid to backup his trash talk.

Guess we will all see.

My my, I hear sweat rolling off a little pinhead somewhere; the crickets chirping; and a creeping yellow streak now.

Gonna make my day or are you going to turn tail?

Last edited by BountyHunter; 07/31/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gonna make my day

Good grief, Man,.......

You need to lower your daily Datura / Johimbe intake, and step slowly away from the keyboard.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 15 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.