Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Does anyone have any experience with the Selkirk Spike Tent from the Wall Tent Shop? I just noticed this tent as an option for a canvas shelter that can accept a wood stove, and sets up easier than your typical wall tent with internal frame. They come in three sizes 10x10, 12x12, and 14x14. Sewn-in floor, 4 ft walls, two doors with storm flaps, two screened windows, stove jack, aluminum frame. I can't find ANY reviews on this tent, good or bad. Thoughts on Wall Tent Shop out of Idaho in general? Anyone know where their tents are sewn (I'm guessing China for the price)?

I've posted on this topic before but I can't seem to figure out or decide what I want/need. My must haves are: includes or can accept a stove jack (1st priority), easy to set up for 1 person (this is HUGE), stand up room (I'm 5'9" tall barefoot), room for two small cots or one Slumberjack Big Cot for truck camps. Lightweight and backpackable are bonus, but not an absolute requirement. Things like screen windows to move breezes through the tent are bonus, but not an absolute requirement. Pretty sure I lean towards floorless over a shelter that includes a floor for this one. I really prefer Made in USA, if possible.

I also have checked out Davis Tent extensively, and for a full wall tent they seem to be the ticket, but I often move camp every few days or don't hunt for more than 3 days many times. I feel that a full wall tent would be more trouble than it is worth for the majority of my trips. For 10-14 day elk hunts near the truck, I can't find anything better. A 10x12 looks good, a 12x14 is likely overkill for most situations. Made in USA.

I have looked into the Kifaru for their lightweight shelters (6 man tipi, Sawtooth). A lot of times I think I have decided on a Sawtooth, but hard to tell if it will work without seeing it up close. Same with the 6 Man tipi. I am also considering Seek Outside and their shelters. They also have a 6 man tipi and a BackCountry Shelter, which is similar to the Sawtooth. Seek Outside has a few features I like better than Kifaru but they don't have the Kifaru reputation quite yet, but I can't find any negative reviews on their stuff. These tents are very expensive and will be really tight space wise compared to the other options out there. Made in USA.

Springbar/Kodiak Canvas type canvas tents...I did some research on this previously and found out that Springbar could put in a stovejack, but now that has changed they say that the tent moves too much for a stove and wouldn't really help with that anymore. I can have a local sewing outfit put in a stove jack or I can probably glue one in myself. Not sure if this is 100% safe but I don't know if having fire in any flammable tent, canvas or nylon, is 100% safe regardless. You always have to be careful of fire. I saw TxTrapper's posts from a few years ago, but haven't heard much follow up info. Tried to contact him with a PM recently but "no dice". Made in USA (Springbar) and China (Kodiak).

Cabela's Alaknak 12x12 or Bighorn III. Seems like a good blend of a lot of great features, but bad for condensation, still pretty heavy, and will take a while to put up and take down for one guy. Montana Canvas has a Spike Tent very similar to the Alaknak (USA). Alaknak/Bighorn are Made in China.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts they would like to share? Any other tents that I am leaving out and should consider?

Thanks,

Nick

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would never consider a canvas tent for backpacking....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That Selkirk tent looks pretty good. Just what I might be looking for. I did a search, and the info I found was for a tent out of Canada. mtmuley

Last edited by mtmuley; 07/30/13.
H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
"Lightweight and backpackable are bonus, but not an absolute requirement." Neither would I.

Last edited by Heat; 07/30/13.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Please keep this thread updated with what you decide on and figure out. I'm also looking for a good, one man canvas tent that will accept a wood stove. It doesn't need to be packable as it would serve as a base camp and I would hike out from it. Something I could set up fairly easy on my own is important as well. As long as it fits nicely in the back of the truck and or on/behind the four-wheeler. Unfortunately being one of the last of my generation in my family that is still able to and having time to hunt it has become a one man gig. My dad and uncles are all creeping up on 80 yoa and hunting for them is close to the road. Not my style. I'd rather two track it as far as I can, set up base camp and wander from there. I have a decent one man, packable tent and bag for a quick overnite if needed but need a base camp set up. What you're looking at is ideal looking to me.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is what I was looking at. www.canvastentshop.ca Same? mtmuley

Last edited by mtmuley; 07/30/13.
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Never-mind blush,

Last edited by CKW; 07/30/13.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have researched Kifaru and other nylon tipis for years. Very lightweight and bombproof for weather, but not cheap and not huge for one or two man carry size. I slid into a half set-up 4 man at the Kifaru store about a month ago, but that really didn't give me the real world feel I was looking for. I have had an Express and now have two other Kifaru packs and know firsthand of their quality. Thanks!

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by mtmuley
This is what I was looking at. www.canvastentshop.ca Same? mtmuley

Same, yes and no...Check out walltentshop.com way betta prices!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
heat, It's easy for you to set up a small wall tent by yourself. Moreso if an internal frame is used. I prefer floorless tents with sodcloths. easier to set up, maintain.

The kifary 6 man is really too small for 2 cots and keep much usable space. I'd go 8 man as a minimum for 2 and cots.

Screened windows on a wall tent are unnecessary if your tent does it up right, with doors at both ends, unless you use it during bug season. A wall mount pipejack sure makes the tent easier to tarp, and you'll never get burn holes on the roof. 2 way zippers on the doors(with back-up ties) are the best way to fly. Just unzip from the top if you need to vent, poke yer head out for a look-see, or to toss yer wad of chew out. Sure beats bending over and unzipping the whole door. 2ways are usually only available on custom tents, tho.

Synthetic, centerpole tipi's are great for lightweight packability and wind resistance, but suck as far as condensation is concerned. A little snow load sure shrinks up the internal size also.

No other tent can hang with a good wall tent as far as 'liveability' is concerned......

Last edited by huntsman22; 07/30/13.
IC B3

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
"Just unzip from the top if you need to vent, poke yer head out for a look-see, or to toss yer wad of chew out."

Speaking my language right there amigo!

Nick

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
IF I am back packing/spiking out, I like a floored tent. You end up in some weird places that are not alawys the best of places and more often that not this offers mother nature the opportunity to get you wet with rain, sleet or ice.
If I am packing a tent on horses It's a canvas tent or the Alaknak. Both can be set with straight small dia. timber you can find in country. Especially if you have you base camp loaction already pre-determioned and spent time prepping it.

Windows in a hunting tent are uselss. When hunting you shouldn't be in a tent during daylight hours anyway. For more than one person I was never a fan of a tipi. Like huntsman said things get small quick.

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
One size might not fit all for me in this situation. Probably going to want both a wall tent and a backpackable nylon shelter down the road. I guess now I just decide which one first!

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
MTMULEY, check this out'

CUSTOMERS FROM CANADA:

Please visit CANVASTENTSHOP.CA Canada web site designed to eliminate brokerage fees and reduce shipping for tents and tent stoves. Canvas tents, spike tents and tent stoves are in Canada ready for shipment. GST will be charged as Canvas Tent Shop Canada is a Canadian Company.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the 12x12 Alaknak, and it's easy to set up for one guy.

Because of the center pole style, it's a lot easier than it looks.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Heat
One size might not fit all for me in this situation. Probably going to want both a wall tent and a backpackable nylon shelter down the road. I guess now I just decide which one first!

I vote for a six-man Seekoutside tipi and a QUALITY 10x12 wall tent.

I've lived for many months at a time sleeping on a GI cot on top of a Camprest pad. I'd look hard at both of those for the wall tent, and if you can't sleep on something lighter, the pad should suffice in the tipi. The GI cot is a PITA to assemble, as it is like stretching a drum, but with a pad it gives solid comfort.

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Heat

I vote for a six-man Seekoutside tipi and a QUALITY 10x12 wall tent.

I've lived for many months at a time sleeping on a GI cot on top of a Camprest pad. I'd look hard at both of those for the wall tent, and if you can't sleep on something lighter, the pad should suffice in the tipi. The GI cot is a PITA to assemble, as it is like stretching a drum, but with a pad it gives solid comfort.

I've got a Slumberjack Big Cot and the 3 inch pad they sell at Cabelas with the cotton cover. Got that part covered already! I usually sleep better in camp on that set up than I do in my queen bed at home. That might have something to do with getting up before the butt crack of dawn and hunting all day too, who knows!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've got the big cot with the bedroll too.

It's friggen nice at the end of a long day hunting. I need to upgrade my bag though.

I've been thinking about this thread and I'm wondering why you don't just get an Alaknak. It's a good tent.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Synthetic, centerpole tipi's are great for lightweight packability and wind resistance, but suck as far as condensation is concerned. A little snow load sure shrinks up the internal size also.

No other tent can hang with a good wall tent as far as 'liveability' is concerned......

+1000 on this. I have a 4-man Kifaru and a 12-man Kifaru. I love the 4-man with a stove and a liner for two people. I've done three, but that's pushing it. The 12-man is much better for 3 people and gear plus stove and firewood. If you get a tipi and plan to use it in wet/snowy conditions GET THE LINER.

If maximum portability is NOT your concern, get a wall tent or similar.

RLTW
H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
"I've been thinking about this thread and I'm wondering why you don't just get an Alaknak. It's a good tent."

Damn good question right there...some days I'm set on ordering the Alaknak the day it goes on sale. Other days I want a Sawtooth. Then someone mentions Seek Outside and the 6 man. I don't know? When I found the Selkirk Spike Tent it looks like everything the Alaknak offers only in a canvas version and even cheaper for the same size. That's why I started this thread in the first place was to try to get some input on that tent. Back around to square one. LOL!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 358WCF, 13 invisible), 1,607 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,658
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.