Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I just honestly wonder how many of the folks who promote CR-10 have tried newer products such as Wipe Out. I used to use CR-10 as my standard, but once I gave Wipe Out a try, there was no going back.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
While people on the Campfire sometimes seem more willing to try something new, in general shooters tend to be pretty conservative and traditional, which might be putting it mildly.
I know guys in their 50's who still use Hoppe's #9 and have never even thought of trying anything else.

A friend of mine came to me a few months ago with his .270 Weatherby that he was afraid was "shot out" after around 500 rounds. It took two days for me to get the copper out of the bore with Montana X-Treme Copper Killer, one of the fastest copper solvents I've tried. The rifle went right back to being quite accurate. It turned out he'd been cleaning it with Hoppe's #9.

Similarly, CR-10 was the first real copper solvent many shooters ever used. It sure works, and I've used many bottles of it myself. But today there are far easier solutions.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
While people on the Campfire sometimes seem more willing to try something new, in general shooters tend to be pretty conservative and traditional, which might be putting it mildly.
I know guys in their 50's who still use Hoppe's #9 and have never even thought of trying anything else.

A friend of mine came to me a few months ago with his .270 Weatherby that he was afraid was "shot out" after around 500 rounds. It took two days for me to get the copper out of the bore with Montana X-Treme Copper Killer, one of the fastest copper solvents I've tried. The rifle went right back to being quite accurate. It turned out he'd been cleaning it with Hoppe's #9.

Similarly, CR-10 was the first real copper solvent many shooters ever used. It sure works, and I've used many bottles of it myself. But today there are far easier solutions.

Only thing better than having a bore scope is having a good friend with one, especially if that same good friend will clean out 500 rounds of copper build up.

Hmmm. Wish I lived closer... cool

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Wipeout....

Wipeout!

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DF,

My buddy has a private 100-yard range that I often use. Have donated time and materials to it over the years, as well as some of the paper and steel targets from various manufacturers that occasionally show up unannounced on my doorstep. So it's a fair trade! Hell, I probably come out ahead, since aside from the range use I also come up with some good stories....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I haven't tried everything but I haven't found anything easier than running 4 or 5 wet patches through with something that works pretty good on carbon- I have some water based stuff I use and then foaming it with wipe-out. IF one application doesn't get everything out, turn the gun upside down and do it again- sometimes it runs around the inside of the bore and pools on the bottom. Putting it scope-down allows it to work the top of the barrel over and then it is really clean. IF you absolutely have to have it clean right now, I have found that you have to use abrasives. I clean best I can then wrap a tight patch around an undersized nylon brush and scrub with Iosso or JBs. Like JB says, the bore scope doesn't lie.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I have been using Butch's Bore Shine for a while now and have been well satisfied. Lately Montana Extreme has been getting a lot of good reviews. Your opinion of one over the other? Your pick and why?

I use BoreTech because it works and doesn't stink of ammonia.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have used in this order: Hoppe's #9, Shooter's Choice/Sweet's, Butch's, Montana Extreme, Wipe Out/Accelerator, BTE.

Was amazed with WO/A until I started using BTE. I will stick w BTE for now. Best yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I switched to BTE a while back, good stuff.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 62 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.