Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boise
Way to go Rick - chopping with style. Nice to see even the experts loose some accuracy when pumped.

I take it back, looks like the cut is as close to the tongs as one dares.

BP-B2

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We've got off track but it's been fun.

I'm going with the GB. So what do you think of the #430 vs #420 models? That's either the 2# head with 25" handle or the 1 1/2# head with 19" handle. I'll go with the larger one unless convinced otherwise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Norlund is another REAL good one.......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Bender I would have put you on ignore if that wasn't so funny.

I guess I'm missing the funny part?!

What I linked won't split a round without a sledge, but if you have split wood (my assumption) and want to make kindling, those are terrific. I have one of th older models, I guess before Estwing bought it out.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't sweat it iron bender. I chalk it up to axe snobbery.

Personally, I don't understand the need to spend a $100 plus on little more than a hatchet.

I think I only spent about $65 for a nice feeling 2.5lb. Axe at Canadian Tire or other places like that.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AB2506
.....I chalk it up to axe snobbery.
Personally, I don't understand the need to spend a $100 plus on little more than a hatchet.

I understand that point of view.
But...another is that using a Menefee to take your critter apart is more pleasing than using a Buck...to some anyways.
Using an axe, drinking Bourbon, driving a vehicle, shooting a shotgun...the same comparison can be made for nearly all of the things that we use.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can see both sides of the debate and suggest yet another way to skin that cat.
You can find vintage axe heads at fair prices if you're patient, restore them, and end up with a great tool with plenty of soul without breaking the bank.
I found this old Plumb Cruiser in an old shed and after cleaning it up and rehafting it's perfect for my needs.
[Linked Image]

Even made a cover for it so I could take it camping without chopping up the rest of my gear on the way there.
[Linked Image]

eta; Tenessee Hickory has handles for just about any axe ever made.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 07/28/13.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
GB SFA for me. I don't know why you want to jump in size from a hatchet to a much larger axe.

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
GB SFA for me. I don't know why you want to jump in size from a hatchet to a much larger axe.

I haven't handled either, that is why I asked. My 12 inch hatchet is too small for the job. I am thinking the heavier and longer model will make for easier work and still allow for one handed use. I'm leaning towards the 26 over the shorter 19.

I stopped into our local husky dealer but he didn't have any axes in stock. While there he said why no spoil myself with the GB that no one else would.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if USA made means something, then the Velvicut is the way to go. Too expensive then try and find a Council Tools Boys Axe. Good size and quality and about half the price of the Velvicut.

GB, Wetterling, etc... Are all good as well, but Swedish.

An old Norlund (if you can find one reasonable) would be a good choice as would several other like Collins, Belknap, etc... Find an old one on the bay and try your hand at re-hafting it.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B3

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
19 or 25 inch length?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
19 or 25 inch length?

I was thinking about the SFA which has a 19" handle. For one handed splitting, I think head weight is more a consideration than handle length. The SFA has a 1.5 lb head. Both axes in your original post have 2 lb heads. Personally, I think I would want the lighter head.

Keep in mind that to me splitting kindling means taking small pieces and turning them into very small pieces. If to you splitting kindling means taking a log cut and turning them into smaller pieces then a larger axe is needed.

I would use a wood splitter to take log sizes to roughly arm size and then the SFA might be a little handier than a full size axe for one handed kindling making.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was riding some 4X4 trails in the Ocala NF this morning. One of my favorites was blocked. Wind had blown down a pine, and it was laying across the trail. Too high to go over, to low to drive under.
My trusty 19 inch handle Wetterlings made short shrift of it. I believe it was 6 one handed strokes to cut it out of the way.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sam......

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It looks like the in stock ones listed below are to short for what you want. Might be a bit more "style" than you're needing/wanting, but a few nice ones are listed below.... Disclaimer: I know nothing about selecting an axe but saw these a while back:

http://www.michiganknives.com/Lee_Reeves.html

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I ordered the GB small forest axe, a 19" axe with a 1 1/2 pound head. Was never able to handle one, or even anything like it, so am a bit tentative with the selection. I do appreciate everyone's help.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I ordered the GB small forest axe, a 19" axe with a 1 1/2 pound head. Was never able to handle one, or even anything like it, so am a bit tentative with the selection. I do appreciate everyone's help.

If you don't like it, I don't think you will have any problem selling it for very close to what you paid.

Please post us up a review when you have tested it and have time.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Am betting you will be VERY happy. GB is never a bad choice.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

If you don't like it, I don't think you will have any problem selling it for very close to what you paid.

Please post us up a review when you have tested it and have time.

My wife and I sit out at a fire many evenings. I'll know within the first few minutes where or not I selected the correct axe. For shipping and another $10 I'll be able to own the larger 2# axe with the 26" overall. But I suspect I made the right choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plus 2 on the cruiser ax.

Have used one of these for my camping ax for years.

It's great having two cutting heads in one. It balances better, plus you can have one edge with a more blunt angle for cutting off limbs.

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Keep a stump cut near by and use that smaller axe to make kindling of any already split pieces. I suspect it will be a lot easier to one hand the smaller axe.

Even if you need a larger axe that SFA is perfect for back pack camping or a camping canoe trip. Just make sure that precious baby is secure against loss.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/02/13.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.