-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The guide jacket is soft shell but pretty water resistant. It takes a lot f water to soak thru and it dries quickly. The Chugach is the best rain jacket I've owned. In the NWT I stayed completely dry both inside and out while my guide was soaked in his OR gore tex jacket. The Yukon should be a good jacket. It should be quieter than the Chugach and just as waterproof. I'm wanting to try it but can't justify the cost.

GB1

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I had narrowed it down between the Sitka Cloudburst or the Kuiu Yukon for an all-around waterproof jacket. I got the chance to try the Cloudburst at he store and although it looks like a nice quality jacket, the material seemed a bit fragile and too noisy. Might be fine for crawling on rocks on mountains and scoping out sheeps hundreds of yards away but not sure about stalking through moose willow and spruce. Definitely noisier than my current Browning Quest.

Going to see on the local forums if anybody close by has some Yukon gear that I can have a look at.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
For the price of the Kuiu Yukon, you could get an ArcTeryx jacket from Moosejaw. Since you said,

Originally Posted by BCSteve
Ok, let's say I was going to buy a solid colour jacket between a Kuiu and Sitka. wink

Then an earth toned Arcteryx should do the job.

The forest service trail crews that work backcountry in SE Alaska prefer Arcteryx raingear. Pretty much anyone with outdoor hobbies/jobs either uses or drools over Arcteryx. Oh, and they have a lifetime warranty, though I've never needed it.

If the product names are confusing, check out this link: http://soldiersystems.net/2012/11/26/speaking-arcteryx-2/

Last edited by RiesigJay; 08/02/13.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have a bunch of both.

Kuiu is the way to go. Keep in mind that Jason started Sitka and then sold to Gore. He now has started Kuiu and he keeps upping the anti with every material and product.

B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I really want to try the Kuiu Yukon but just a little concern to buy without seeing it first.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bought several Kuiu items on the initial production run before they moved manufacturing to China. The Attack pants are very nice from what I can tell (never got to wear them hunting, just tried them on once for a trip to the range) but with baby #2 on the way in late September and my fall hunting effectively canceled I don't see the point in keeping them on the shelf another year. I also have the two merino shirt layers. I did wear them (the shirts) deer hunting two days. My deer hunting last season consisted of sitting in the edge of a field for a few hours (that's all it took :-0), so no wear and tear on them.

If you decide you want to try some Kuiu stuff at a discount shoot me a pm, Steve.

The shirts are the zip-neck long sleeve Merinos in the 2 different weights, by the way.

RLTW
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RiesigJay
For the price of the Kuiu Yukon, you could get an ArcTeryx jacket from Moosejaw. Since you said,

Originally Posted by BCSteve
Ok, let's say I was going to buy a solid colour jacket between a Kuiu and Sitka. wink

Then an earth toned Arcteryx should do the job.

The forest service trail crews that work backcountry in SE Alaska prefer Arcteryx raingear. Pretty much anyone with outdoor hobbies/jobs either uses or drools over Arcteryx. Oh, and they have a lifetime warranty, though I've never needed it.

If the product names are confusing, check out this link: http://soldiersystems.net/2012/11/26/speaking-arcteryx-2/

Agree great product.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm familiar with Arcteryx as I have a couple of their jackets. I also live 30 mins from their warehouse.

Anyway, back to the original question. After seeing the Cloudburst in "person" I decided to order the Yukon.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (12344mag, 338rcm, 1eyedmule, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 12 invisible), 1,384 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,286
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.