Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7971817 08/10/13
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In the last 15 minutes I have reset mouse traps twice, this was after being woken up about 30 minutes ago from one running across my face.

What I don't get is why we have all these mice, our house is super clean, the dogs food is in a sealed plastic tub, we don't live near any seed crops we just have a crap load of mice. Every morning I remove a mouse or two from the traps. I have a "bucket" trap, several snap traps, a couple of the "tin cat" traps and the mice keep coming, I don't even bait the snap traps and that is where I catch the majority of them. I about ready to get a cat or maybe a snake, the damn things are chewing through the walls, I found a nest under my little boys crib this morning, this was after i vacuumed a nest up last weekend from under his crib. mad

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I feel the same way!!!!

We bought a foreclosure where the owner would just dump bags of food out and feed 18 dogs in the upstairs to our house. After compleatly gutting it down to joists and studs, refinishing it, and living in it for 2 years we are still fighting mice...

A cat was a great addition to it. Its even comical now when he catches one and sits there "playing" with it. Hence why we named him Sako!

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
our house was a foreclosure that was gutted by the bank and re-done, rather poorly, thank God it's a rental, we almost bought it under contract.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How close to the house are your bird feeders?

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you by chance have a manufactured house? We do and mice are a constant problem. The big problem is the insulation and polyfilm the put under them. That's a mouse haven and there's no way to get at them. If I bought another one, I'd order it without the floor insulation and polyfilm then insulate the crap out of the foundation perimeter.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If they are this heavy, they are coming in from outside. Get a bag of fine steel wool, and around the outside of the house, go around and EVERY place the size of a nickel or larger, stuff a bit of steel wool in there. Mice/Rats cannot chew this, and will not be able to get in. Do the same all the way up at the roof gables, mice can climb like you would not believe! Do the same under the house.

That will 'seal' the house, and allow you to trap out the remainder. Sooner or later, if small ones are geting in, a BIG one will, and trust me I know, you do NOT want that to happen

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
like said above, theyre getting in from outside. Until you figure out where, you'll have problems.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ahh the joys of Montana life.

Put some poison outside too, plus the steel wool in all holes as stated above. And cracks.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Put bait stations around the house. Got pets- anchor down joints of PVC PIpe with them inside. Mix cement mix with oatmeal and place it through the house.

Get a cat and beer. Make tacos with the cat. Enjoy. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
no it not a manufactured home, no we don't have any bird feeders close (50 feet) and yes we have used steel wool in all the cracks, they just chew new holes. I can't figure where they are coming in from outside, and the weirder part is the detached garage that is not sealed has no mice.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remember that a pair of mice can grow to a dozen mice in just a few weeks, and that dozen can be 12 dozen in a few more weeks. The little monsters breed like Muslims.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pfluck a rat..been one in here the last couple a nights dart n' back and fourth so fast the eye can barely see it. Only reason it ain't dead yet is I'm too sorry to set the trap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I fought mice with traps for years on the farm -- especially in the feed room (for obvious reasons). Never got on top of them until I finally went to Dcon. Now, no more mice. Even if they get in, and they do, they don't last.

It's almost as if mice are attracted to mice....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Go to your local feed store and see what they have to poison mice and rats with. Last year a friend of mine bought a big jar used for watering chickens and some poison to put in it at the local feed store. He was getting overrun with mice in his travel trailer at our deer lease. With regular poison the mice wouldn't die right away and were hard to find sometimes. The mice won't make it far from the chicken waterer once they take a drink. Of course you will have to put it where your dog can't get to it but it works like a charm. Don't put it outside because it will kill anything that take a drink out of it. There's nothing worse than trying to find dead mice in your home or travel trailer. Sometimes they die where you can't get to them (like inside walls).

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
I about ready to get a cat or maybe a snake...

At least one indoor house cat, for sure, though not all cats are reliable mousers.

A rat terrier is good, too, so long as he's an indoor dog.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DCon works great in a barn but not in a house...the smell of the corpses will drive you out.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Cowboy, do you by chance have a large field close to you that
has recently been mowed or harvested? Have a friend who is a
pest controller and tells me that when a large field is cut all
of the rodents need a place to stay as they are now easy targets
for owls and hawks.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
yeah, and late in the summer, due to the smell of the first frost coming, they will move to warmer grounds.

the pilot light in old style gas stoves and heaters will attract them. same thing with refrigerators.

first, put out the mousetraps baited with cheese. eliminate or annihilate as many as possible.

later, put out the warfarin/d-con, whatever. it's an annual or cyclical thing.

not enough foxes, coyotes, snakes, raptors, etc. so, we have to utilize technology and chemicals to find a common ground.

coyotes, at the right place, and at the right time, could be a Godsend?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One word: DeCon! Use it and they'll be gone. Just be sure pets and kids and wives can't get into it and keep the bait stations full for a week to 10 days. You'll loose your little critters for keeps then! And, except for poisonous snakes, leave the others ALONE! A male or spayed cat is excellent, too!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nearly 10 years ago, we had mice everywhere in our house. It's in a development near the outskirts of town, lots of open ground nearby but no row/grain crops, only grass/hay. I caught nearly 2 dozen just between Thanksgiving and Christmas that year. Some in traditional traps and a goodly number in those glue traps. Finally bought a six pack of D-con - set several in areas where I knew they ran. The rest I opened up and sowed in the attic like they were seeds. Haven't seen a mouse in the house since.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 699 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.