-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got to thinking. The chicken on the grill reminded me of one of my old recipes from back in the 90's. I broiled that bird, but you could use the recipe and prep method on the grill as well.
Road Kill Chicken

I call this Road Kill Chicken, because its flattened out like if it were �road kill�

One 3 to 4 pound whole chicken
Three tablespoons of whole black pepper
One tablespoon kosher salt
One Habanera Pepper, seeds removed
As many garlic cloves as you like
Olive oil
Dried thyme

Method:
Place the chicken breast side down on the cutting board. Using kitchen shears, remove the backbone. Turn the bird over, and cut/pry out the keel bone. Using your fingers, separate the skin from the meat, but leave the skin on the bird.

In a mortar, crush the peppercorns. Add the salt, and thyme. Dice the pepper, and add to the mortar. Add in the garlic cloves. Using a grinding motion with the pestle, grind everything to a paste. Add in the Olive oil.

Spread this mixture under the skin of the bird. Drizzle olive oil on the skin, and salt it. Turn the bird over, and spread oil on that side, and salt it.

Place the chicken under a broiler, and cook about 10 min, until the skin starts to darken, and turn crisp. Remove the chicken, turn it over, and place it back under the broiler for another 10 to 12 min.

Remove, cool a few moments, separate pieces, and serve.

If desired, use the drippings to make gravy for the chicken:
Pour off the chicken fat, but reserve three tablespoons
Deglaze the pan with � cup white wine, scraping the crusty bits with a spoon
Put the Chicken drippings into a saucepan over med high heat. Add in three tablespoons of all purpose flour. Cook for about three min, stirring. Add in the liquid from the pan, and another 1 � cups warm milk. Whisk until it thickens, Season with salt, and black pepper.

Sam......

GB1

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I like it...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I hope I'm not missing something obvious, but what would be the advantage over cooking chicken halves bone side down? Chicken halves are readily available all over town here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Spatchcock method allows the chicken to lay flat cook evenly on both sides but you can accomplish the same thing with chicken halves if you separate the joints.

I use a boning knife to poke a hole and separate the thigh/leg joint, thigh/body joint, and the wing/body joint. It will lay flat and the holes allow marinade and/or seasonings to soak in. They cook evenly and avoid the red undercooked spots at the joints or overcooking the breast.

Halves are easy to flip over too. When I cook chicken halves on the grill with direct heat I have to flip them back and forth many times to avoid burning. Cooking halves are much easier than flipping a bunch of chicken parts and pieces.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That's kinda the idea...broiling, seasoning something intact is easier than when broken down. I have to believe the flavor will vary, too. Also, the spatchcock deal is a little more interesting as far as presentation.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on the presentation.

The flavor doesn't vary so much but keeping it mostly intact and covered with skin makes it juicier. Having no skin definitely affects the flavor.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use a boning knife to poke a hole and separate the thigh/leg joint, thigh/body joint, and the wing/body joint.

Wish I knew how to do that.

R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
This sounds good. I season my bird the same pulling the skin away from the meat and rubbing with the seasoning.

Does the olive oil make the skin more crisp?

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by sse
Looks great. I was planning to do the same on my grill, and try out a new set of poultry shears.

I am surprised it took two hours to cook, though. I'm gonna do direct medium coals, thirty minutes per side should do it. If not, I'll adjust accordingly.

sse,

Each time I basted the chicken the temps would drop back a few degrees so that increased cooking time.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I got to thinking. The chicken on the grill reminded me of one of my old recipes from back in the 90's. I broiled that bird, but you could use the recipe and prep method on the grill as well.
Road Kill Chicken

I call this Road Kill Chicken, because its flattened out like if it were �road kill�

One 3 to 4 pound whole chicken
Three tablespoons of whole black pepper
One tablespoon kosher salt
One Habanera Pepper, seeds removed
As many garlic cloves as you like
Olive oil
Dried thyme

Method:
Place the chicken breast side down on the cutting board. Using kitchen shears, remove the backbone. Turn the bird over, and cut/pry out the keel bone. Using your fingers, separate the skin from the meat, but leave the skin on the bird.

In a mortar, crush the peppercorns. Add the salt, and thyme. Dice the pepper, and add to the mortar. Add in the garlic cloves. Using a grinding motion with the pestle, grind everything to a paste. Add in the Olive oil.

Spread this mixture under the skin of the bird. Drizzle olive oil on the skin, and salt it. Turn the bird over, and spread oil on that side, and salt it.

Place the chicken under a broiler, and cook about 10 min, until the skin starts to darken, and turn crisp. Remove the chicken, turn it over, and place it back under the broiler for another 10 to 12 min.

Remove, cool a few moments, separate pieces, and serve.

If desired, use the drippings to make gravy for the chicken:
Pour off the chicken fat, but reserve three tablespoons
Deglaze the pan with � cup white wine, scraping the crusty bits with a spoon
Put the Chicken drippings into a saucepan over med high heat. Add in three tablespoons of all purpose flour. Cook for about three min, stirring. Add in the liquid from the pan, and another 1 � cups warm milk. Whisk until it thickens, Season with salt, and black pepper.

Gonna make this soon, but I'll substitute in fresh rosemary and jalapeno peppers...that's what's growing in the garden.

IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RNF
This sounds good. I season my bird the same pulling the skin away from the meat and rubbing with the seasoning.

Does the olive oil make the skin more crisp?

If you're looking for the perfect crispy skin on chix then open air dry the bird in the fridge overnight. Works great!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I will give it a try next time.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Did this yesterday. Didn't use Sam's recipe...rather a puree of herbs, garlic, lemon zest and EVOO...very tasty.

Will still try sam's recipe, then I plan to concoct a chicken diablo version using chile peppers from the garden.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sse; 08/12/13.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice. smile

Sean
R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
That chicken looks good and so does the fresh tomatoes.

R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I also did another bird tonight. I did this one on the new pellet grill indirect heat. I think if I use the indirect heat again I need to raise my temps up to around 375 degree.
[[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Delectable...this spatchcock chicken thing is great fun.

Yeah those tomatoes are out of the garden. I have that second pic as desktop background...don't know how long I can take it, though...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.