Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by pointer
[quote=smokepole] IIRC he prefered the size 60 blades to the 22, as they are a bit longer.

I got the Piranta Bolt because it could accept 3 size blades. I got the 60A blades because they're 20% thicker than the standard.

West Kentucky Boy
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Similar and usually readily available is an X-acto knife. They accept different blade types. They're especially handy turning lips, ears, and eyes.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
xacto blades IIRC were more expensive than the Havalon.

If I was ONLY working on the lips and eyes/ears and such, I"d have a fat scalpel handle with a few #21 blades handy.

I do carry one if I'm considering mounting what I shoot, they too are light, small and blades easy to swap and weigh nothing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the friggin thing. The new 20A blades are nice too. Picked up a "Torch" last year and am diggin it as well. I use it for everything up to the point when it's time to make meat, then switch to Vic boning knives.
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a Havalon Baracuda and it is scary sharp but it doesn't seem like the edge stays very long. Yes it's easy to change blades and the blade are cheap enough but I now only use it for delicate areas and use my Randall for all the grunt and skinning work.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by smokepole
Sounds like some have boned out animals with it, but most just use it for skinning.

I'd like to hear from those who have boned out animals with it, positives/negatives. I'm trying to cut the weight of my gear, so if I need to carry another blade to bone the animal, or another tool to change the blade the Piranta doesn't do me any good. Thanks.

From antelope to elk to moose and a few bison as well. It's all I use to skin, quarter and de-bone.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like some have boned out animals with it, but most just use it for skinning.

I'd like to hear from those who have boned out animals with it, positives/negatives. I'm trying to cut the weight of my gear, so if I need to carry another blade to bone the animal, or another tool to change the blade the Piranta doesn't do me any good. Thanks.

I've used a Piranta for the last few years. I've processed probably a dozen animals with it. If you use it as a knife and not a pry bar, it works great. I use two blades for an Elk and one for deer, pronghorns, etc. I carry a back-up knife as a precaution (I'd carry two knives anyway) but haven't used the extra knife.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a guide who likes sharp knives and hates sharpening knives I love them. I still carry a cutco as well.

I usually use my cutco on the knee joints and getting the skull off the neck. And sometimes for making the caping cut up the back of the neck on bull elk.

I like the orange color too. I usually use 2-3 blades on a bull. They are cheap and I like sharp.

I think I did 4 elk (3 bulls, 1 cow), 1 antelope, and 3 mule deer last year with my Havalons. And they were all caped out too, except for the cow.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used a Piranta the last 2 years and wouldn't go hunting without it. You can figure on breaking 2-3 blades on an elk if you skin and cape. You will still need another sturdy knife or two for deboning but the Havalon will get the hide off like nothing else. You can cut and debone with the Havalon but it is tricky to do without snapping blades. You kind of get a feel as to how much you can twist the blade before it snaps.

I have not used the new version with thicker blades but assuming they are as sharp as the Piranta, I would go that route.

Last edited by slammer; 08/23/13.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by N2MyWake
Originally Posted by pointer
[quote=smokepole] IIRC he prefered the size 60 blades to the 22, as they are a bit longer.

I got the Piranta Bolt because it could accept 3 size blades. I got the 60A blades because they're 20% thicker than the standard.

Just an update. Very pleased with the Havalon knife. We skinned/quartered Dad's Bull with 2 blades (broke one), only put on the 3rd new blade at the end when caping around the neck just to save time. Very impressed with this little knife.

Dad was too, after the first sharpening on his knife (before the first quarter was detached) he put his knife away.

West Kentucky Boy
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The Piranta is probably the best hunting gear investment I've ever made...

They are making some beefier blades these days. I went through 3 blades doing an elk a few weeks back and it saved me lots of time.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I used the Bolt with the 60A blades. Broke one blade, but that was a bone-head move on my part, cutting through the leg joint. I like 'em.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Give me a couple of weeks and I hope to break a couple blades on one:) Actually will try one for caping antelope soon. Thinking you will be too. Glad it worked well on your bull.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They really shine in skinning/caping, as others have said. You'd be hard-pressed to get a hunting knife that sharp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm still not crazy about the Havalon knife. I've never used it, but I have used scalpels before on skinning duties. I really don't think that steel holds an edge well. They're spooky sharp to start with, but they're not designed for the use a hunter gives them. I get it... It appeals to the microwave mentality of most Americans, and I've met tons of guys that can't sharpen a knife to save their ass. Especially on many of the "Super Steels" that high end stuff is made of now (like D2 and S30V.) The average guy will learn to hate those.

I'll keep my trusty Fireknife in my pack, with a gray Lansky Dogbone. It's just north of 4 ounces. I'll also continue my practice of touching up my knife through the process of turning a dead animal into meat. Last fall, I used my Fireknife to completely process a whitetail start to finish. I touched it up 4 times, it was still sharp when I finished...

[Linked Image]

Now if somebody just made a Kydex sheath for it, with the dogbone Chicago Screwed along the spine of the blade, with somekind of striker in the sheath....

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I'm still not crazy about the Havalon knife. I've never used it......

Thanks for your opinion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using one for about 5 seasons. During that time it has more than a dozen brown bears, passel of moose and maybe 4 caribou to its repertoire not counting a small horde of fur bearers. I like it for skinning, especially intricate cuts such as splitting lips and eyelids and turning the ears. It's great for skinning the toes out on bears, especially on beaches with fine gravel where dulling a knife is inevitable. I normally carry 10-20 extra blades, #60 and #22 and they've done all I need. It's certainly not my only knife, nor is it my primary knife, but for the few ounces it weighs I'll not be without one on purpose again.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You must have the "microwave mentality" of most Americans, and not be able to sharpen a knife...... grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You must have the "microwave mentality" of most Americans, and not be able to sharpen a knife...... grin

I could remove your Dos Equis beard with a Gerber sharpened my ME.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gimme a Havalon and a pocket full of Vic's and get outta the [bleep] way......

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,104
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.