Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by smokepole
You must have the "microwave mentality" of most Americans, and not be able to sharpen a knife...... grin

I could remove your Dos Equis beard with a Gerber sharpened my ME.

Think so? I can sharpen a knife, and I can clean the bore of my rifles squeaky clean. I get equal amounts of enjoyment from both.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use a combination of the Havalon and a Fire Knife. The Havalon is great at skinning and the fire knife is good for when I want something more substantial. I carved two or three elk last year with that combination.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You must have the "microwave mentality" of most Americans, and not be able to sharpen a knife...... grin
Not sure if you're talking to me, but when it comes to sharpening a knife, like most things I do, I'm well above the curve. Havalon is cheap and easy and there are times when that is more than good enough............Like 16bore, I'd rather have a vicky as any mainstream hunting knife, though I've a few customs (and a few more ordered) that I use as my primary knife on hunting trips.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Think so? I can sharpen a knife, and I can clean the bore of my rifles squeaky clean. I get equal amounts of enjoyment from both.

I do as well, to a point. When the little woman wants all her kitchen knives sharpened I break out the Work Sharp. I like bore foam as well.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
IMO, a Havalon, like an Exacto, is best saved for lips, eyes, and ears.

Skinning? Any sharpened knife will work fine. Splitting joints, I want a tad more beef in a blade.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a lotta ass in a little package. I like the minimalist kinda schit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
406, I was talking to you, but my comment was tongue-in-cheek; I didn't mean it as a slight. That comment was directed at a previous poster, who intimated that some people like Havalons because they have a "microwave mentality" and don't know how to sharpen a knife.

I'm a pragmatist as far a knives go. I understand that some are really into knives but to me they're just another tool. We all make our own judgments as to where we choose to draw the line and stay "old school" and where we choose to accept modern conveniences like a microwave. To denigrate another's choices in these areas while at the same time congratulating yourself for your own wisdom seems pointless to me.

And by the way, T-A-K, I don't drink beer often, but when I do, it sure as hell ain't Dos Equis.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hey, I think a Piranta is way cool, but sharpening a knife is a survival skill, whether you enjoy it or not. I little blue DMT diamond hone weighs little, and with that, and a river rock, I can get a serviceable edge.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There's more than one school of thought on that, and it starts by defining "survival." If you go by the Rambo definition, you've got a point. Plus, if you're carrying a piranta and extra blades, then "blade replacement" becomes a survival skill.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I really like mine, i've had it around 5 years now. Cant decide which i like better, a vic pearer or the piranta.

Just be careful with the damn things.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Hey, I think a Piranta is way cool, but sharpening a knife is a survival skill, whether you enjoy it or not. I little blue DMT diamond hone weighs little, and with that, and a river rock, I can get a serviceable edge.

Rock on, Rambo!

LOL!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I can't get past the parer myself...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used PLENTY of scalpel blades in my lifetime. The last time I scored a scalpel, it was free courtesy of the mill I work at and the tomato stake I shanked off in my left forearm behind my armgaurd. It came with a #11 blade and got used once. It'll fit #22 blades in it too. It weighs way less than an ounce and it's way more precise than the Havalon folder. I got plenty of both blades free NIW from the company nurse, back in the day when we had one. Back when I shot and skinned coyotes for fun, I used lots of 22's. 2 of them to a coyote is what I averaged. The little #11's work great when you're peeling the noggin, around the eyes, and turning the ears.

So again, I don't understand the hype.?

You won't ever see me packing one into the backcountry.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I'm still not crazy about the Havalon knife. I've never used it......

Thanks for your opinion.

Please feel free to take the [bleep] I say out of context to make yourself look cool.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm still not crazy about the Havalon knife. I've never used it......

Thanks for your opinion.

Please feel free to take the [bleep] I say out of context to make yourself look cool.

Out of context? You say you don't like something, and in the same breath, that you haven't used it. There isn't much more clear context than that.

And as far as "making yourself look cool," this is a thread about one particular knife. You've never used it, but you trash it, infer that people who use it don't know how to sharpen knives, and then go on to present your recommendation for another knife, congratulating yourself in the process.

Read what you posted below, and tell me who's "trying to look cool."

It appeals to the microwave mentality of most Americans, and I've met tons of guys that can't sharpen a knife to save their ass. Especially on many of the "Super Steels" that high end stuff is made of now (like D2 and S30V.) The average guy will learn to hate those.

I'll keep my trusty Fireknife in my pack, with a gray Lansky Dogbone. It's just north of 4 ounces. I'll also continue my practice of touching up my knife through the process of turning a dead animal into meat. Last fall, I used my Fireknife to completely process a whitetail start to finish. I touched it up 4 times, it was still sharp when I finished...

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have used mine twice on deer, but oh boy they are crazy sharp and soo small t is pretty easy to knick yourself if not extra careful. the most dangerous thing with mine is changing blades. very hard to get off. almost need a pair of pliers to do it safely which kinda negates the need to carry a light knife.

Anyone else having trouble changing blades?

Lefty C

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ironbender

Rock on, Rambo!

LOL!

Okay, so I can now assume that having the requisite skill to keep a blade sharp is, along with being able to safely cross a stream with a pack, "over the (rambo?) line"? What a puss.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lefty, I'd say you definitely need pliers to change the blade, and like someone said earlier, its a good idea to practice first. I use the smallest pliers that Leatherman makes, and I carry those regardless so for me, no extra weight.

TAK, I think it may be the reference to the river rock that puts you over the Rambo line. Hell, that puts you squarely in Bear Grylls territory.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get the heavier blades, they fit fine on both the Piranta and Torch. Haven't broken one, but never tried breaking down a deer with a pry bar either.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have some very lightweight needle nose pliers in my pack that I used for blade changes. Dad always carries a very small set of channel lock pliers for pulling on hide etc. either would work.

West Kentucky Boy
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 26 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.