Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Who sells these, any of the big box stores? Any negatives for using one to cape an animal?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Link

Neat concept, and would love to have one. But I've yet to see one with a "Made in USA" label.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two and seldom use them since I don't normally cape my animals. Scalpels are great for caping but make sure you carry extra blades, they are thin and prone to breakage.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/85...-stainless-steel-blade-abs-handle-orange

Haven't had a chance to use mine to do that but I'm sure it'll work great. Master Guide Joe Want used to teach a "Brown Bear & Sheep Hunting" class at TVCC in Fairbanks. He reccomended an exacto knife and a BUNCH of blades to skin the paws and skull out on a bear. I watched a friend skin his brownie with one and it worked like a charm. If you can befriend a taxidermist in your area he might coach you a bit. I've see them use a slender paring knife to cape with. They say the trick is to stay close to the bone. Be super careful around the eyes of course.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Work great for caping and about any other chore needed on a critter. Pard and I skinned/deboned 14 pigs, 1 deer, and a turkey over 2.5 days. I think he went through 2 or 3 blades in that time. After trying his out I got one. I'm thinking it'll do just fine. Blades may break, but they are cheap and light.

BTW- He didn't break one...FWIW.

IC B2

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used a piranta last year on a spike elk it worked great really great I slipped while cutting and punched it right through the backside of my thumb just under the first knuckle never felt it, pretty far from anything so I cut a ring off the top of a game bag and had some surveyors tape and got er done. 12 hours later a tetnis shot and 16 stitches I was good.

Last edited by byd; 08/13/13.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
These are very good knives for fine delicate work. You can't put much sideways pressure on the blade but other than that they work just fine. I especially like mine around the butcher block to trim the edges of meat before packaging. My young guide was using one last summer in Idaho.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Bought one last summer. Did not get a chance to use it to skin game yet. However, like it for anything around the house / farm where I want a really sharp, easy to manipulate blade.

Two observations: First VERY sharp. Ended up with blood all over a new shirt last week when I nicked my thumb opening the blade and did not realize it for several minutes. Second, I have had to change one blade. "For me" will ensure I always use a leatherman tool. The blades are sharp. Easy to slip in the hand. I do not want to gouge myself, changing blades, in the middle of nowhere...

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I just got my Piranta Bolt in the mail last night. I hope to use it on an elk (or two) grin in the next few weeks.

Last edited by N2MyWake; 08/13/13.

West Kentucky Boy
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Pretty good summary here. Scary sharp, and extremely effective at cutting any flesh. If you know what you are doing taking joints apart with one, you will be fine. If you cut and hope, and pry and wiggle the blade, you will break blades.

I prefer the victorinox paring knife, but the havalons certainly work. Pretty sure I saw them at Sportsman's Warehouse last time I was in there.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Used scalpels for years to cape with. Piranta is bascially just that. I have 3 on the counter and have given numerous away over the years. Got ours as soon as they came out years ago.

I've basically taken a young bull moose apart with almost the piranta alone. Did a bit of skinning with a bigger knife in some areas and de jointed the ribs with a stronger blade but other than that its amazing what you can take apart with one.

Not to mention how EASY it is to "sharpen"

Downsides, blades don't like lateral pressure. No scalpel does.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Deboned and caped half a bull elk with one last year. Worked great. I don't think I had to change the blade. Very sharp, easy to use. They are not good for any kind of twisting or prying, just cutting. I used a Cabela's Alaskan Guide� Series PBS Crosslock Knife by Buck Knives� on the other half. The Havalon can't be beat for sharpness. I will have with me again this year. Do practice changes blades at home. It's not hard, but you need to get the right pressure to remove it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like mine. Been using one for a few years now and just used my havalon on a caribou last weekend.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh yeah, introduced my buddy from Wasilla to one for his guiding.

IIRC all guides with him then ended up with one. From Sheep/Caribou/Wolf up to Moose and brown bears spring and fall.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used my buddies to skin out the paws on wolverine. It worked awesome. He used it to cape out a couple of deer and he said he liked it a lot more than his other knives.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For work, I was using a lot of scalpel blades on animals and loved how sharp they were and how they could literally slice through heavy elk neck hide like it was nothing. So I started using both the Piranta, but was concerned about the thin little blades. Then I found the Baracuta. It was much thicker blades and a much larger cutting surface. I prefer the Baracuta, but the Piranta also has a place in my packs. I still carry a "real" knife or two, but have been using the heck out of these replaceable blade knives.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I also have used one of these a bunch at work, so I got one for myself. I will be packing it along with a regular knife this fall. Pay attention to the tip about using a leatherman to change the blades . . .

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sounds like some have boned out animals with it, but most just use it for skinning.

I'd like to hear from those who have boned out animals with it, positives/negatives. I'm trying to cut the weight of my gear, so if I need to carry another blade to bone the animal, or another tool to change the blade the Piranta doesn't do me any good. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used them last year on a cow elk. Worked wonders. Extremely sharp and will punch a hole in the hide faster than any knife I've used. Once I got used to it made pretty quick work of the cow.

They make a tougher blade to address the breakage problem many noted, I don't remember the name, and I used that one. Made it through the cow without breaking one. I bought mine on ebay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Sounds like some have boned out animals with it, but most just use it for skinning.

I'd like to hear from those who have boned out animals with it, positives/negatives. I'm trying to cut the weight of my gear, so if I need to carry another blade to bone the animal, or another tool to change the blade the Piranta doesn't do me any good. Thanks.
My pard did his share of boning the critters I mentioned in TX. Worked just fine. IIRC he prefered the size 60 blades to the 22, as they are a bit longer.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by pointer
[quote=smokepole] IIRC he prefered the size 60 blades to the 22, as they are a bit longer.

I got the Piranta Bolt because it could accept 3 size blades. I got the 60A blades because they're 20% thicker than the standard.

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Similar and usually readily available is an X-acto knife. They accept different blade types. They're especially handy turning lips, ears, and eyes.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
xacto blades IIRC were more expensive than the Havalon.

If I was ONLY working on the lips and eyes/ears and such, I"d have a fat scalpel handle with a few #21 blades handy.

I do carry one if I'm considering mounting what I shoot, they too are light, small and blades easy to swap and weigh nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the friggin thing. The new 20A blades are nice too. Picked up a "Torch" last year and am diggin it as well. I use it for everything up to the point when it's time to make meat, then switch to Vic boning knives.
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a Havalon Baracuda and it is scary sharp but it doesn't seem like the edge stays very long. Yes it's easy to change blades and the blade are cheap enough but I now only use it for delicate areas and use my Randall for all the grunt and skinning work.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

From antelope to elk to moose and a few bison as well. It's all I use to skin, quarter and de-bone.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I've used a Piranta for the last few years. I've processed probably a dozen animals with it. If you use it as a knife and not a pry bar, it works great. I use two blades for an Elk and one for deer, pronghorns, etc. I carry a back-up knife as a precaution (I'd carry two knives anyway) but haven't used the extra knife.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a guide who likes sharp knives and hates sharpening knives I love them. I still carry a cutco as well.

I usually use my cutco on the knee joints and getting the skull off the neck. And sometimes for making the caping cut up the back of the neck on bull elk.

I like the orange color too. I usually use 2-3 blades on a bull. They are cheap and I like sharp.

I think I did 4 elk (3 bulls, 1 cow), 1 antelope, and 3 mule deer last year with my Havalons. And they were all caped out too, except for the cow.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used a Piranta the last 2 years and wouldn't go hunting without it. You can figure on breaking 2-3 blades on an elk if you skin and cape. You will still need another sturdy knife or two for deboning but the Havalon will get the hide off like nothing else. You can cut and debone with the Havalon but it is tricky to do without snapping blades. You kind of get a feel as to how much you can twist the blade before it snaps.

I have not used the new version with thicker blades but assuming they are as sharp as the Piranta, I would go that route.

Last edited by slammer; 08/23/13.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by N2MyWake
Originally Posted by pointer
[quote=smokepole] IIRC he prefered the size 60 blades to the 22, as they are a bit longer.

I got the Piranta Bolt because it could accept 3 size blades. I got the 60A blades because they're 20% thicker than the standard.

Just an update. Very pleased with the Havalon knife. We skinned/quartered Dad's Bull with 2 blades (broke one), only put on the 3rd new blade at the end when caping around the neck just to save time. Very impressed with this little knife.

Dad was too, after the first sharpening on his knife (before the first quarter was detached) he put his knife away.

West Kentucky Boy
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The Piranta is probably the best hunting gear investment I've ever made...

They are making some beefier blades these days. I went through 3 blades doing an elk a few weeks back and it saved me lots of time.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I used the Bolt with the 60A blades. Broke one blade, but that was a bone-head move on my part, cutting through the leg joint. I like 'em.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Give me a couple of weeks and I hope to break a couple blades on one:) Actually will try one for caping antelope soon. Thinking you will be too. Glad it worked well on your bull.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They really shine in skinning/caping, as others have said. You'd be hard-pressed to get a hunting knife that sharp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm still not crazy about the Havalon knife. I've never used it, but I have used scalpels before on skinning duties. I really don't think that steel holds an edge well. They're spooky sharp to start with, but they're not designed for the use a hunter gives them. I get it... It appeals to the microwave mentality of most Americans, and I've met tons of guys that can't sharpen a knife to save their ass. Especially on many of the "Super Steels" that high end stuff is made of now (like D2 and S30V.) The average guy will learn to hate those.

I'll keep my trusty Fireknife in my pack, with a gray Lansky Dogbone. It's just north of 4 ounces. I'll also continue my practice of touching up my knife through the process of turning a dead animal into meat. Last fall, I used my Fireknife to completely process a whitetail start to finish. I touched it up 4 times, it was still sharp when I finished...

[Linked Image]

Now if somebody just made a Kydex sheath for it, with the dogbone Chicago Screwed along the spine of the blade, with somekind of striker in the sheath....

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I'm still not crazy about the Havalon knife. I've never used it......

Thanks for your opinion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using one for about 5 seasons. During that time it has more than a dozen brown bears, passel of moose and maybe 4 caribou to its repertoire not counting a small horde of fur bearers. I like it for skinning, especially intricate cuts such as splitting lips and eyelids and turning the ears. It's great for skinning the toes out on bears, especially on beaches with fine gravel where dulling a knife is inevitable. I normally carry 10-20 extra blades, #60 and #22 and they've done all I need. It's certainly not my only knife, nor is it my primary knife, but for the few ounces it weighs I'll not be without one on purpose again.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You must have the "microwave mentality" of most Americans, and not be able to sharpen a knife...... grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You must have the "microwave mentality" of most Americans, and not be able to sharpen a knife...... grin

I could remove your Dos Equis beard with a Gerber sharpened my ME.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gimme a Havalon and a pocket full of Vic's and get outta the [bleep] way......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I could remove your Dos Equis beard with a Gerber sharpened my ME.

Think so? I can sharpen a knife, and I can clean the bore of my rifles squeaky clean. I get equal amounts of enjoyment from both.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use a combination of the Havalon and a Fire Knife. The Havalon is great at skinning and the fire knife is good for when I want something more substantial. I carved two or three elk last year with that combination.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure if you're talking to me, but when it comes to sharpening a knife, like most things I do, I'm well above the curve. Havalon is cheap and easy and there are times when that is more than good enough............Like 16bore, I'd rather have a vicky as any mainstream hunting knife, though I've a few customs (and a few more ordered) that I use as my primary knife on hunting trips.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Think so? I can sharpen a knife, and I can clean the bore of my rifles squeaky clean. I get equal amounts of enjoyment from both.

I do as well, to a point. When the little woman wants all her kitchen knives sharpened I break out the Work Sharp. I like bore foam as well.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
IMO, a Havalon, like an Exacto, is best saved for lips, eyes, and ears.

Skinning? Any sharpened knife will work fine. Splitting joints, I want a tad more beef in a blade.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a lotta ass in a little package. I like the minimalist kinda schit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
406, I was talking to you, but my comment was tongue-in-cheek; I didn't mean it as a slight. That comment was directed at a previous poster, who intimated that some people like Havalons because they have a "microwave mentality" and don't know how to sharpen a knife.

I'm a pragmatist as far a knives go. I understand that some are really into knives but to me they're just another tool. We all make our own judgments as to where we choose to draw the line and stay "old school" and where we choose to accept modern conveniences like a microwave. To denigrate another's choices in these areas while at the same time congratulating yourself for your own wisdom seems pointless to me.

And by the way, T-A-K, I don't drink beer often, but when I do, it sure as hell ain't Dos Equis.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hey, I think a Piranta is way cool, but sharpening a knife is a survival skill, whether you enjoy it or not. I little blue DMT diamond hone weighs little, and with that, and a river rock, I can get a serviceable edge.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There's more than one school of thought on that, and it starts by defining "survival." If you go by the Rambo definition, you've got a point. Plus, if you're carrying a piranta and extra blades, then "blade replacement" becomes a survival skill.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I really like mine, i've had it around 5 years now. Cant decide which i like better, a vic pearer or the piranta.

Just be careful with the damn things.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hey, I think a Piranta is way cool, but sharpening a knife is a survival skill, whether you enjoy it or not. I little blue DMT diamond hone weighs little, and with that, and a river rock, I can get a serviceable edge.

Rock on, Rambo!

LOL!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I can't get past the parer myself...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used PLENTY of scalpel blades in my lifetime. The last time I scored a scalpel, it was free courtesy of the mill I work at and the tomato stake I shanked off in my left forearm behind my armgaurd. It came with a #11 blade and got used once. It'll fit #22 blades in it too. It weighs way less than an ounce and it's way more precise than the Havalon folder. I got plenty of both blades free NIW from the company nurse, back in the day when we had one. Back when I shot and skinned coyotes for fun, I used lots of 22's. 2 of them to a coyote is what I averaged. The little #11's work great when you're peeling the noggin, around the eyes, and turning the ears.

So again, I don't understand the hype.?

You won't ever see me packing one into the backcountry.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for your opinion.

Please feel free to take the [bleep] I say out of context to make yourself look cool.

I'm Irish...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Thanks for your opinion.

Please feel free to take the [bleep] I say out of context to make yourself look cool.

Out of context? You say you don't like something, and in the same breath, that you haven't used it. There isn't much more clear context than that.

And as far as "making yourself look cool," this is a thread about one particular knife. You've never used it, but you trash it, infer that people who use it don't know how to sharpen knives, and then go on to present your recommendation for another knife, congratulating yourself in the process.

Read what you posted below, and tell me who's "trying to look cool."

It appeals to the microwave mentality of most Americans, and I've met tons of guys that can't sharpen a knife to save their ass. Especially on many of the "Super Steels" that high end stuff is made of now (like D2 and S30V.) The average guy will learn to hate those.

I'll keep my trusty Fireknife in my pack, with a gray Lansky Dogbone. It's just north of 4 ounces. I'll also continue my practice of touching up my knife through the process of turning a dead animal into meat. Last fall, I used my Fireknife to completely process a whitetail start to finish. I touched it up 4 times, it was still sharp when I finished...

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have used mine twice on deer, but oh boy they are crazy sharp and soo small t is pretty easy to knick yourself if not extra careful. the most dangerous thing with mine is changing blades. very hard to get off. almost need a pair of pliers to do it safely which kinda negates the need to carry a light knife.

Anyone else having trouble changing blades?

Lefty C

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ironbender

Rock on, Rambo!

LOL!

Okay, so I can now assume that having the requisite skill to keep a blade sharp is, along with being able to safely cross a stream with a pack, "over the (rambo?) line"? What a puss.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lefty, I'd say you definitely need pliers to change the blade, and like someone said earlier, its a good idea to practice first. I use the smallest pliers that Leatherman makes, and I carry those regardless so for me, no extra weight.

TAK, I think it may be the reference to the river rock that puts you over the Rambo line. Hell, that puts you squarely in Bear Grylls territory.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get the heavier blades, they fit fine on both the Piranta and Torch. Haven't broken one, but never tried breaking down a deer with a pry bar either.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have some very lightweight needle nose pliers in my pack that I used for blade changes. Dad always carries a very small set of channel lock pliers for pulling on hide etc. either would work.

West Kentucky Boy
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dad always carries a very small set of channel lock pliers for pulling on hide etc.

Excellent idea, that would minimize the need for a suture kit. I'm sorry that would be crossing that CF/puss Rambo line, wouldn't it?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Only if you get hungry and use 'em to skin a snake to eat.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Dad always carries a very small set of channel lock pliers for pulling on hide etc.

Excellent idea, that would minimize the need for a suture kit. I'm sorry that would be crossing that CF/puss Rambo line, wouldn't it?

yep probably, but I wimp out and use a lighter to start fires too, no rubbing sticks together.... I know fail... I'd rather spend my time hunting.

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

TAK, I think it may be the reference to the river rock that puts you over the Rambo line. Hell, that puts you squarely in Bear Grylls territory.....

smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use the new blade to change the old one.. Just peel back the package of the new blade enough to expose the butt end of the new blade,keeping the rest of it in the package. then use it to pop the old one up and push it forward.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TAK, just wondering..How many times have you drank your own piss?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rosco1
TAK, just wondering..How many times have you drank your own piss?

Only once, after it was distilled in a homemade solar still.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm only 48 years old. I've never had to use pliers to change blades on any scalpel or piranta type knife.

Yes it might be safer and it does work, but I've never done it.

Just pay a bit of attention and be careful.

If I had to for whatever reason, arthritis, age etc.. I"d do it with the smallest vise grips they make...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495
I'm only 48 years old. I've never had to use pliers to change blades on any scalpel or piranta type knife.

Yes it might be safer and it does work, but I've never done it.

Just pay a bit of attention and be careful.

If I had to for whatever reason, arthritis, age etc.. I"d do it with the smallest vise grips they make...

In an OR, you use a needle driver forcep.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Your hospital autoclaves Pirantas?

Or do they toss them?

smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Toss per patient IIRC

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Or do they toss them?

smile

Needles and blades go into a "sharps" box. A red box with a biohazard placard on it. As I understand these get incinerated. A small screw-top vial would work in the field.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
To answer part of the OP's question, I saw them recently either at the Sportsmans Warehouse in Colo Springs, or possibly the new Cabelas in Lone Tree...don't recall which one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Midway usually has them.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Or do they toss them?

smile

Needles and blades go into a "sharps" box. A red box with a biohazard placard on it. As I understand these get incinerated. A small screw-top vial would work in the field.

I know all about sharps boxes and incinerators. I was trying to glean your OR background.

Nurse, OR tech, surgeon?

Last edited by ironbender; 10/02/13.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Midway usually has them.

Thanks. I bought mine there, already used it, and as I said, liked it.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I purchased one to try on my moose hunt in Alaska a couple of weeks ago, I also brought my traditional skinning knives along just in case. I loved the Piranta; it was the best piece of gear I purchased for that hunt. My friend and I both got moose and both were skinned and caped with the Piranta. I think we used about 4 blades per moose.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Can you split a sternum with one?

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Blackbrush

not sure, I use the gutless method. (i have a gerber saw for bone if needed)

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I would never try to with a Havalon. If you twist or pry the blade too much they will most certainly break.

They are great lightweight knives, but they have their limitations.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

There are better tools available.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's about the dumbest move a guy can make with a knife, especially with a Piranta

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I didn't try but I doubt it. I also think you would have issues removing the skull cap.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have used and seen used MANY blades...

A scalpel of any flavor may be appropriate for fine work, such as lips, eyes, ears, etc. Yet any taxidermist I've seen uses a blade which can be renewed, and has a steel handy. And one good cut with a QUALITY blade beats seventeen cuts with a super sharp disposable blade every time.

I've heard the bark, and seen the bite.

Having taken delivery of a new pair of Ingrams in December of '12, and having skinned, quartered, and packed 3 elk in less than 48 hours, without so much as having to touch either to steel or stone, whilst the "Piranta Queen" stood and watched in awe... I ain't impressed with disposable blades nearly as much as I am with disposable gloves from Harbor Freight.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It would seem that we are in agreement, so I like how you think! To me, the Piranta is simply a more ergonomic X-acto.

Similar and usually readily available is an X-acto knife. They accept different blade types. They're especially handy turning lips, ears, and eyes.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet the farm more Buck 119's have been used to process elk than Ingrams. Anyone claiming a Piranta is a start to finish blade, and had much of a finish.

I'd drop big $$$ on a Chef's knife before an Ingram.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MattMan
A scalpel of any flavor may be appropriate for fine work, such as lips, eyes, ears, etc. Yet any taxidermist I've seen uses a blade which can be renewed, and has a steel handy. And one good cut with a QUALITY blade beats seventeen cuts with a super sharp disposable blade every time.

To each his own. I didn't see any taxidermists or have any steels handy where I was this year, up on the mountain miles from the truck. Which is the whole point of a lightweight knife for backpacking. But I did skin and bone out an elk with a Piranta. It worked fine for my purposes, didn't slow me down one bit.

For my purposes, skinning and boning an elk with a $30 knife beats a doing the same task with a $300 knife every time, especially when it weighs less. I know that many like and appreciate fine knives, and for them, a $300 knife is the right choice. It's not for me.

Indeed, you pays your money and makes your choice.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've got a handful of Ingrams - they are some of my favorites. Never felt handicapped cutting something up with them, and they do stay sharp, especially if you know what you're doing.

My last trip in the mountains I had one of these (top one) on my neck:
[Linked Image]

And two of these in my pack.
[Linked Image]

Only pic I have in the bucket of the parer in action I guess.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, I don't believe anyone said you'd be handicapped using an Ingram.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Scheels is carrying these. I may grab one tomorrow.

At the very least it would be a good blade to leave in the possibles bag. I would think.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Did you acquire a blank or pull the scales on one?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Planning to try one of these next, thing is a hoss though...
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore
Planning to try one of these next, thing is a hoss though...
[Linked Image]

I'm taking one of those to CO next week. With a massive amount of luck, I'll let you guys know how it performs on elk. smile

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Why do you need to "split the sternum"? I've busted down moose, elk, mountain goat, deer, antelope, and bear, and never found a reason to.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mr Bender,
Those come without scales, with a nifty sheath that works great for neck carry. Some don't like the sheath, I wrapped some electrical tape around mine when I first got it, and have had no problems. It has a little button that goes in the first hole, that serves as the "release". Putting scales on it makes the sheath no-worky, so you have another hour of work building a kydex one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen several of these replaceable blade knives used on big game. I personally have not been impressed. I'll take my Doziers over them any time.

Now, if you have knives with cheap steel that won't hold an edge or are not able to properly sharpen a knife, the replacements blade knives are very nice. I have hunted with a few folks who started the hunt with dull knives and then couldn't cut anything when needed. For them these type knives would have worked a lot better than what they had.

I used my Dozier to skin a black bear and an elk without sharpening it. It could not shave hair after that, but was still sharp enough to skin a deer or two. For me, I'll take a really sharp good quality knife over the disposable ones.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jeez. Who wouldn't take a Dozier over a $30 plastic knife with disposable blades?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Jeez. Who wouldn't take a Dozier over a $30 plastic knife with disposable blades?

Me.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

No high dollar knives for me except a couple of Randalls but I'm not sold on the fact that the steels are truly better. Yeah, ATS 34 and D2 will hold an edge longer but they TAKE longer to sharpen. Their ain't no free lunch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just don't suggest using a pretty decent knife for 40 bucks laugh

I'm Irish...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, that was a pretty good suggestion (the knife itself), and I might look into those, I'm always open to something better. If you look back at my post on that, you'll see I had nothing negative to say about the Fire Knife.

As far a "taking" a high dollar knife over a cheap one, the point of that comment was, this thread ain't about which knife is "better," the Dozier or the Piranta, even though some want to make it into that. If someone was going to give me a gift and asked which one I wanted, the answer would be easy. Just as easy as deciding which to spend my own money on, although the answer would be different.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I haven't read many of the comments. I looked into them and decided the blade was a little too flimsy for my taste. Plus, the replacements are spendy. I equate it to computer printers.
The companies make their money on ink cartridges which no have less fluid. Here, its the blades.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yet another opinion based on hands-on experience, Thanks!!!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I picked up the Havalon Bolt before heading to Wyoming last week. It uses the 60A blades which are thicker than the original. I used it to debone a mule deer and antelope with no issues. The blades are definitely thicker than the original Piranta which I also have used.

Blades are 10 bucks a dozen which seems reasonable to me and the knife came with 12. It is not one of my custom knives but I don't pretend it is either. For a light option when backpacking it works great. I will use it again in the future.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I haven't read many of the comments. I looked into them and decided the blade was a little too flimsy for my taste. Plus, the replacements are spendy. I equate it to computer printers.
The companies make their money on ink cartridges which no have less fluid. Here, its the blades.

You ever peeled the hide off of a skull?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Me.

And me. Losing a $30 Havalon is a lot less heartache also. I include a small fixed blade Buck for the rough stuff, joints, etc.

An average season we'll bone 12-16 deer, 2-3 goats, and 1-2 elk. Everyone I work with swears by the Havalon.

Last edited by weaselsRus; 10/05/13.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Replacement blades are spendy at .25$ apiece? I killed a bear in May, a pronghorn in August, and a muley buck a week ago. Don't know how I'll ever recover that .75$!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This has been a good thread. Lots of hands-on experience cited; many who use the knife and like it, and some who don't. All good information, thanks for those experience-based opinions both positive and negative. Enough positive opinions that I got one and used it, and now have another tool in the kit.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Smoke, you don't think we are done yet do you? smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If Gene Ingram made a Havalon whammer pack with s30v replacement blades and a s30v Vic, the war would be over......

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've found plain old 440C superior to S30V. They both hold an edge equally well, the 440 takes half the time to sharpen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a simple fact that not all steels are created equal. If you've had 440C hold an edge as well as S30V then the heat treatment for your S30V sucked or someone lied about their composition........

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Here's a little info on a comparison of S30V and 440c stainless by Crucible Materials Corp. via Doug Ritter.

http://www.dougritter.com/pop_up_cpms30v.htm

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
whats really interesting is that since Havalon, I haven't had to read or study a damn thing about blade steels, holding edges etc...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Here's a little info on a comparison of S30V and 440c stainless by Crucible Materials Corp. via Doug Ritter.

http://www.dougritter.com/pop_up_cpms30v.htm

I bought one of Ritter's "fund-raiser" Benchmade Griptillians. Sorriest steel in any knife I've ever seen. The elcheapo Griptillians spank it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cwh2
Smoke, you don't think we are done yet do you? smile

Ha, good one. I think the guys just need to get out more. Why, just while some of the guys were arguing about blade steel, I went out and shot this pronghorn. Gutted, skinned, and boned him out with a Piranta, if that matters.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Nice antelope Smokepole. Montana season opens next weekend, and I am getting pretty excited.

I used a Havalon Piranta a little over a month ago to quarter up my buddy's Canadian moose. I did break one blade in the process, but it worked great overall!

Levi

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks Levi, and good luck, knock down a big one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You drew a rifle tag?

I had to slum it with the recurve for a week.

I'm Irish...

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Replacement blades are spendy at .25$ apiece? I killed a bear in May, a pronghorn in August, and a muley buck a week ago. Don't know how I'll ever recover that .75$!

I used one yesterday on an pronghorn doe. At this rate I'll never pay off my mortgage.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nice pronghorn, 'pole.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Was not trying to make this into a Doziers are better than Pirantas thread. Just relating my experience with the two. Some of it related to elk hunting just three weeks ago. One person with extremely dull knives, one person with a Piranta, and me with my Dozier. Can't help the fact that that is what I had. The Piranta was obviously better than the dull knives and should be preferred for people who don't want to or cant sharpen knives. The guy with the Piranta used several blades skinning, quartering, and caping the elk. I used one. I prefer to use one that i don't have to carry extra blades for and continue to pay for whenever I use it.

For guides who may skin and quarter many animals in a season I'm sure it's a great knife. They probably don't have the time to sharpen a knife properly or the means to in camp.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The whole point is carrying a Piranta ONLY, is borderline stupid. If you are in the woods, you need a no-schidt blade that you can baton wood with to keep the hypothermia/reaper off of your azz, so a decent REAL blade isn't an option. The Piranta is so light, there is no reason NOT to take one if game processing is hopefully on the menu. If you have to skin out a bear's pads or get the skull out of a hide, a proper skinning knife is a [bleep] tool to accomplish that with. Both have their role, and if you are a gram weenie, do burpees and buy a barbell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or.....

Buy a scalpel handle that takes #22 blades, for like 5 bucks on Amazon, that weighs a quarter of a Havalon.

I'm no surgeon, but I'm betting I'd get better control on the scalpel too (or surgeons would be using Havalons now)

I'm Irish...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Actually the handle thats fat ain't bad... take that from a taxidermist for 20 some years... the skinny ones kinda suck.

And you can do the caping thing with a skinny one but the fat one just feels much better.

And you can do a lot with the piranta. Lets just say I have about 5-6 of the fat handles, and probably could still find 2-3 of the skinny handles and what I carry for hunting is the piranta. May upgrade to take the heavier blades at some point.

Like others we still carry a heavier"survival" knife, but it never gets used on game...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I used to carry a knife big enough to baton wood with, but I could just never find the right river rock to sharpen it with......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I used to carry a knife big enough to baton wood with, but I could just never find the right river rock to sharpen it with......

Just do more burpees to keep the reaper away.

Duh.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take_a_pee IS lee24!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Found a picture of TAK from his glory days:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Found a picture of TAK from his glory days:
[Linked Image]
Wrong. That pic is from Rambo III, the knife is a give away. I feel his 'prime' was from the first installment. The one where he converted a tarp into a poncho and did a bit of hog hunting.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Laffin...

The wilds of the Great Northwest also provided a much better selection of river rocks for sharpening stones than Afghanistan had to offer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, but the trees made the horse/goat skin polo fields a bit smaller...

Besides it was cooler that the Sherrifs in the NW have chopper ready sharpshooters with lever actions!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You'd better bring a lot of body bags.......

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
[Linked Image]

VFF! The difference between Sly and myself is:

1) I actually negotiated the Hoffman triangle successfully, along with the myriad others tasks associated with it.

2) I've fired M-60/M48's that actually used live ammo.

3) I can wear a green beret and not be in violation of 670-1.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're right, we all apologize. We don't seem to want to accept the fact that we're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As well as being a model of humility.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You're right, we all apologize. We don't seem to want to accept the fact that we're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke.

Bahahahaha

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

You're mistaken, I've never been to Italy.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

http://izquotes.com/quote/241359

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That Samuel Johnson knew his stuff. To wit:

�Wine makes a man more pleased with himself. I do not say that it makes him more pleasing to others.�

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet bigsqueeze coulda kicked TAK's azz. Too bad he died, now we'll never know. Hummmmmmm.

1flier

Black Olives Matter!!
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by 1flier
I bet bigsqueeze coulda kicked TAK's azz. Too bad he died, now we'll never know. Hummmmmmm.

1flier

Great post! LOL

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

1flier

I would pay good money to watch those two fight.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

1flier

I would pay good money to watch those two fight.

You'd better watch it. I'm also good at flingin' smooth stones.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, now you've starred in a chapter in the bible too?

I'm Irish...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The whole point is carrying a Piranta ONLY, is borderline stupid. If you are in the woods, you need a no-schidt blade that you can baton wood with to keep the hypothermia/reaper off of your azz, so a decent REAL blade isn't an option. The Piranta is so light, there is no reason NOT to take one if game processing is hopefully on the menu. If you have to skin out a bear's pads or get the skull out of a hide, a proper skinning knife is a [bleep] tool to accomplish that with. Both have their role, and if you are a gram weenie, do burpees and buy a barbell.

That's some funny [bleep] right there.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wow, now you've starred in a chapter in the bible too?

Damn Dan, I'm IMPRESSED! I really doubted anyone would catch that!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How about this for a quote:

"The man who drinketh the wine of self-importance is just as drunk as the one who worships at the altar of the grape."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't you write the bible?

One night on sentry duty?

While gathering enemy intel?

In full face paint? of course.

And pooping in your pants?

With your night vision scope dialed to 916 meters?

And you woman's shakeweight along to keep yourself loose?

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a joke:

One time TAK went hunting....

...please quite laughing I haven't got to the punch line yet! wink

I think TAK and Kute should hunt together. The critters wouldn't stand chance...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by wageslave

If you are going to type funny [bleep], it really helps to be capable of doing so, otherwise you just sound like a dumbazz.

1) Didn't write it but I know who did

2) Check

3) Check

4) Check. During SFQC, I got dysentery and [bleep] my pants on a 6mi timed run. If you fell out, you did the duffel-bag drag to Bragg. I made it.

5) NOD's don't work at 916m, at least not the ones they had before I retired.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

If you are going to type funny [bleep], it really helps to be capable of doing so, otherwise you just sound like a dumbazz.

2) Check

3) Check

4) Check. During SFQC, I got dysentery and [bleep] my pants on a 6mi timed run. If you fell out, you did the duffel-bag drag to Bragg. I made it.

You [bleep] in your PT shorts? Hopefully you were running in the back of the pack or had a depend on.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just finished cutting and wrapping my pronghorn. That thin sharp blade was nearly ideal for separating muscles on the quarters.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ya well, I bet you cant cut a cord of wood with it like TAK did with his survival knife this afternoon, while knitting a sweater.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't wear sweaters. But if I did, they'd have two X's on the front......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Didja hafta sharpen it on a river rock?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
River rocks are for sissies.....I sharpened it on my pecker.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bearstalker

2) Check

3) Check

You [bleep] in your PT shorts? Hopefully you were running in the back of the pack or had a depend on.

I did move to the back of the formation out of courtesy. We had no PT shorts in those days. Real men ran in jungle boots and OG 107 pants. This walking legend was leading the run and saw my dilemma and later gave me a postive spot report for my perseverance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZA6ftXxvMQ

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

You LOVE them blue pills I'm sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Oh, I do that all the time, after I figured out that most of the high dollar strops are elephant leather laugh

I'm Irish...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, but I'm sure you have the same problem as I do with those Damn scalpel blades, I keep breaking 'em off....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I did move to the back of the formation out of courtesy. We had no PT shorts in those days. Real men ran in jungle boots and OG 107 pants. This walking legend was leading the run and saw my dilemma and later gave me a postive spot report for my perseverance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZA6ftXxvMQ

We saw a walking legend give a talk last week, Clinton Romesha, I'm sure you've heard his name. He gave an account of the action that resulted in his nomination, it was riveting. Probably 200-300 people in the room, and you could hear a pin drop. It was just awesome to be able to hear him speak.

They also showed a short film with other living recipients of the Medal of Honor. What struck me the most about those guys was their humility. Every one of them did something that they knew would likely result in the ultimate sacrifice, yet they all said the same thing, to a man: "Why was I singled out, I didn't do anything special, I was just doing my job. Those other guys were the heroes."

Guys who did the things that they did, with that kind of humility. Remarkable.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
tag

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Has anyone used the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite knife on game? Looks like another good replaceable blade option.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.