Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I sent this as a PM to one of the "Fire" members and just decided to post it- to see where it goes:
Howdy
Was reading through some responses in the "who's going Hunting" thread and it seems many of us are in the" everything hurts" stage of life ( soon to be followed by the "nothing hurts anymore") stage and I thought why not start an old timers hunt that rotates between western states every year. I'll travel to other states and host a hunt when it comes to Idaho. Since we don't have a lot of hunting time left
maybe we should get on this before our memories fail further and we forget it was a good idea---If this sounds good, "real hunts for those over 65" maybe you could lend your "Fire" experience to spreading the word. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Littlejohn- feel free to pass this around

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
This sounds like a great idea.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd participate in one in Colorado. I don't hunt other states. I'm pretty much locked into using livestock on the hunt though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Heavybullets:

Are you offering to host an Idaho elk hunt next year? For seniors who can still get around with only minimal complaining?

What kind of a hunt are you expecting? Expensive outfitted hunt? DIY hunt in your back yard?

I'm 65 and can still get around pretty good. I just got back from backpacking into the Sangre De Cristo Mountains and climbing a high thirteener. But as you mentioned "everything hurts" is about my current condition. I just try my best to ignore it and keep going. My hunting plans are fixed for this year because I'll be going on 5 hunts in two months. But I'm open for next year.

In return, I can offer a Colorado modified backpack elk hunt in an area that I have hunted since 1978. I call it a modified backpack hunt because we rent a horse to carry in camp, heavy supplies, etc., and to haul out the elk, but we stable the horse at a ranch near the trailhead so we don't have to take care of it while hunting. We then backpack in 3 1/2 miles but our packs are pretty light since the horse has carried in all the heavy stuff. This hunt would be limited to four people, including myself, so as not to over-crowd the area and each person would be required to pay their share of the cost to rent two horses (1 horse : 2 hunters) plus a trailer.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Howdy KC I'm interested in the "modified" concept you described and would be willing to host a hunt in Idaho this year or next. I have been hunting the panhandle country in NW montana/Idaho for about 40 years minus 15 years living in Alaska as a guide/outfitter. My personal hunts have always been solo, whether Montana, Alaska or Idaho. I hunt from a permanent base camp, taking a number of elk from there over the years or spike out when I have a particular bull located and want to sleep on him till I get my shot. So i might be sleeping in my pick up camper or in one of my BP tents 5 miles away--depending on weather,elk location that year or human pressure. Locals are the only people I run into occasionally and they've grown to accept the fact that they have to share" their" with me and have been quite friendly the last few years. When I spike out from my base I never see anyone. The elk quarter pack out trips can be tough, sometimes uphill, sometimes down. I go where the elk are not where I'd like them to be. I can probably have 4 more hunters at my base. The weather really determines how I hunt each day, no different than Alaska , only drier. I go to my base at least a week early to dope out what's going on with the animals--this summer I've already spent two weeks there . A person should be fit to hunt the country I hunt but any healthy 65 year old who wants to do it can. I've killed bulls on the first day , second day and not at all in 3 weeks. In the last ten years i've only been skunked twice but it wasn't for lack of trying. When I sold my outfit in AK I kept one cabelas 8 man guide tent a bunch of cots and two north face 4 man 4 season mountain tents so no one will sleep wet at my base camp. there's lots more but I'm tired of typing. Anyone who wants to join the gizzer elk camp in Idaho , has two weeks to hunt ,let me know and we'll talk. the tags are about $370 for non-res elk OTC

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
This sounds like a great idea. Only problem is that I am still 9 years too young ! Oh well, good luck to y'all...

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

HB:

I park a small travel trailer at the trailhead and I also have the gear and there's room at the trailhead, to setup a comfortable base camp. There's always some people hunting from there. I think there's a better chance of connecting when I get a few miles from the trailhead.

Let's keep in touch. I've always wanted to hunt in Idaho. I've hosted several people who are new to elk hunting in my camp and this year there will be two new guys.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Be glad to join you guys in 2014, booking for this year. Always fun to hunt with
New faces. Keep me posted. Good luck 2 all of your hunts this year!!!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Anie has old age sunk in, Have you forgotten that were going already in 2014...

Or is this a hint that you want new hunting buddies....

LOL....

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by noduck
Anie has old age sunk in, Have you forgotten that were going already in 2014...

Or is this a hint that you want new hunting buddies....

LOL....

noduck:

You're not limiting yourself to just one hunt per year are you?

KC

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Since I'm hitting the big six five in December I'd be very interested in a geezer Idaho elk hunt in 2014.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We r going to Wyoming next sept noduck, but 1 hunt is just not enough!
Good to make new friends don't ya no!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Kinda, i am much younger then Anie.. I still have kids in grade school.. I get to go on big out of state hunts farily,, i think for my age.... I still hunt almost every weekend in MN.. It gets spendy and time is always the issue on those out of state hunts..

Anie has been in our deer hunting party for ever..He is a good guy to have around.... As long as he stays home for deer opener and doesnt leave 2 days into the season to go mule deer hunting in CO.. But we dont need to get into that... LOL...

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Heavybullets
Howdy KC ..... Anyone who wants to join the gizzer elk camp in Idaho , has two weeks to hunt ,let me know and we'll talk. the tags are about $370 for non-res elk OTC

HB:

$370 nonresident bull tags! That's a good deal. I think they cost $465 in CO and a lot more in Montana. What are the dates? I want to put it on my calendar for next year.

I hunt during Colorado's 3rd rifle season. It always starts on the first Saturday of November and ends on Sunday a week later. This year the dates are 11/2 thru 11/10. If we can talk saddlesore into going during the 3rd season instead of the 2nd season, we could setup a petty good remote camp between the two of us.

KC

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Kc what's the weather like 3rd season?

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by anie
KC what's the weather like 3rd season?

anie:

I've hunted the area since 1978 and you can get anything from two feet of snow to highs in the 60s. Last year the 3rd season was pretty warm, with highs in the 50s. The year before a foot of snow fell on opening day. In 2010 two feet of snow fell during the 2nd season and highs were in the 50s during 3rd season. So you have to be prepared for whatever Mother Nature might throw at you.

The horse is gracious enough to carry in some extra warm clothes and cold weather gear. The possibility of heavy snow is one of the reasons that we stable the horse at the trailhead. If it does snow heavy and you have the horse in camp then the horse can't get to the grass to eat and you have to leave.

KC

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ok kc, kinda what I was thinking, the great unknown! Heading 2 b.c end of oct early nov goat hunting, thinking it will snow 1-5 feet just to screw me into the ground. But then again maybe will b laying out in the sun.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
KC and guys
I decided to take a look at a current F&G reg book and I'm afraid my quote of $370 for a non-res elk tag is not valid (it was 2 years ago but was raised to $416 plus $154 license fee last year. I called F&G and was told wolf predation talk has caused a drastic reduction in non-res hunters. Tag and license fees fell by $5 million so the idiots raised the license and tag fees to recoup the $ only to see less interest by non-res hunters because of the increase. Only govt. workers would think to raise the price of a product in the face of decreased demand!!! So I guess that will have to be taken into consideration guys. I will still host a hunt this year but will have to wait until next year before I commit for next fall. If any geezer wants to hunt this year please respond ASAP- 2 week Rifle Oct 10 -24 this year in the panhandle unit. I'll check back before I leave on my next scout trip Sept 1 Good Hunting Littlejohn

Last edited by Heavybullets; 08/22/13.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Heavybullets, Appreciate your efforts to host a hunt this year, thanks for the license details. I cannot make those dates work me. Would like very much
To hunt with some fire guys, lots of experience with guys r age and were never to old to learn new tricks. Hope I can join u geezer guys next fall.
Thanks
Anie

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How about the age be 55 and older, fellas just wanting the same thing, meeting new friends and having a hand in making each others trip a lot of fun.

Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,483 guests, and 709 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.