-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been jones'n for one of these for nigh on 50 years. An old friend owns one, and i hunted with it once. Tried to buy it with no success.

The years it was made i was way too into practical all around rifles to pony up for a new one...
My bad...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like mine quite a bit. Fun to shoot and has been reliable.

Never shot a critter with it though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one. It shot great, carried great and was in great condition. Sold it because I got paranoid about the bottom steel cracking and not being able to be fixed. Dumb move on my part, but oh well.

Dale

The more you know, the less you need.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always wanted one.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got a 44 carbine at a gun show for $180.
The barrel got Leaded and when I shot a jacketed bullet, the muzzle split like a banana peel.
I talked to a guy who collects 44 carbines and he said that was a common failure and there are no barrels available.

I got a 20" Marlin 444 micro groove barrel, and cut off the rear of the chamber [thus making a 44 mag chamber] and drilled a gas hole.

I took it to the range and shot it. I now have a heavy and accurate 44 carbine.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe mine is a 1963. I bought it from a former co-worker about 15 years ago. It had been stored in a soft case and had some rust speckling on the steel as well as on the Weaver K-3 it wore. I had the gun re-blued and swapped out the Weaver for a Nikon Monarch 1.5-4X using the same rather unique Weaver pivot mounts.
[Linked Image]

A pic of the pivot mounts.
[Linked Image]

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I finally convinced a friend to sell me his. I got sick of seeing it collecting dust in his safe.

Threw a 4x period scope and ran Hornady 240 loads through her and was impressed with its accuracy.

Carried it during a few hunts, but no hair.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
rather unique Weaver pivot mounts.

I have 3-4 sets of those exact mounts that came on old rifles purchased over the yrs.
People look down at those mounts but I did everything I could swinging off-on & I never could make a set change it's POI !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mart
Growing up back east, my mentor had one. It was his go to deer rifle. We hunted fairly heavy timber back then and shots were rarely over 100 yards and more often than not under 50 yards. He had a gun cabinet full of nice rifles but I never saw him grab any other rifle for deer hunting.

Sounds like we had the same mentor, except he would give me the Ruger and he took the 300 Savage. I stumbled across an ad for one in the CF classifieds a few months ago & couldn't resits grabbing it.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rlott
Originally Posted by mart
Growing up back east, my mentor had one. It was his go to deer rifle. We hunted fairly heavy timber back then and shots were rarely over 100 yards and more often than not under 50 yards. He had a gun cabinet full of nice rifles but I never saw him grab any other rifle for deer hunting.

Sounds like we had the same mentor, except he would give me the Ruger and he took the 300 Savage. I stumbled across an ad for one in the CF classifieds a few months ago & couldn't resits grabbing it.

[Linked Image]

My mentor always seemed to like that little rifle. Of course he was either still hunting heavily wooded areas or driving to guys who where on stands so his shots were always close. I remember kind of scoffing (to my self) his choice of weapons. I had just bought my first centerfire rifle, a Remington 788 in 6mm, and couldn't grasp how anyone would chose that stumpy little pistol cartridge over a hot rod like the 6mm. I saw the light after seeing his little carbine in action and had wanted one ever since. Found this one last year. That's a 50 yard target. First 5 for a group and the second group of 3 after adjusting the scope for my zero.

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In 1968 our house burned to the ground and we lost everything except the clothes on our backs. When the insurance check arrived (which, by the way, was not nearly enough to cover the loss) my father went to a local gun shop and bought replacement guns for the family (bought guns before he bought clothes or a place to live.....my father had his priorities straight!).

At that time, in East Texas, deer hunting was done with packs of dogs in really thick brush. The preferred weapon was a double barrel shotgun and buckshot, but even in those early days he knew the limitations of buckshot and when he saw an early Ruger carbine in .44 magnum on the rack....it seemed "perfect".

A heavy bullet in a short, lightweight rifle that would kill anything within 150 yards was exactly what was needed. No one in our group of friends/family/hunting partners had ever seen such a gun......so it was a bit of an oddity/novelty gun. Over the next decade or so this little gun became a "legend" in our neck of the woods. Used by my father, me as I got older, and my mother (her first deer rifle) and various family members, this little carbine killed over a hundred deer and hogs.....mostly one shot kills and an amazing ability to hit hard and "stop" animals in their tracks.

I still have a Ruger carbine in the gun room and more times than not it is the gun I reach for when I "know" the distances will be close and the brush thick. Maybe luck, maybe ability.....but my Ruger carbines have all shot 1" or so groups at 50 yards (the longest distances I've cared to test them). I've tried heavier bullets (and they worked well) but then I think...."WHY???". A 240 grain bullet shoots through any deer/hog at 50 yards or so and kills like a lightning bolt.

Maybe "legend" or maybe not but if there is a better short-range killing machine than the Ruger carbine and the .44 Magnum cartridge I haven't found it. The .45-70 in a short lever rifle comes close.....but it is much heavier and less "handy". In 1968....by mistake or by intuition.....my fathrer got it right.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Cool post, Rick. Thanks for taking the time to type that one up.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I had two of the older guns. With jacketed bullets, these guns are reasonably accurate 100 yard deer guns. My preference for the .44 Magnum is cast bullets. Did a lot of experimenting; neither gun shot cast well, but gas port blockage was never a problem. A 250 grain cast semi-wadcutter had to be seated deeply to feed through the Ruger magazine.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My father had one in a Mannlicher stock, it shot lights out with little or no kick. I still can't believe he sold it!

Last edited by GSP814; 08/18/13.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.