24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
OP Offline
Y
doing my homework for an archery elk hunt in Colorado's gmu 18 just after muzzleloader ends. any helpful hints greatly appreciated...:-)

Mtnjim

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
18 can be a very exciting archery hunt!

Few seasons ago I knocked an arrow two days on a row!

Both days were very vocal monster bulls! Full bugle, full rut!
I did not get a shot, but still have the memory!

Both were not right next to the park either, but were before muzzleloading season.

On your map, this area is do east of Elk Mountain at the head waters of the Drosey (spell check) water creek.

Couple ways to get in.
Camp at the then new BLM parking spot and hunt it 'UP' from the BLM land. Notice I made the word 'UP' all caps?

Or GPS the whole route back around the long way from the top around Cabin Creek and camp in the forrest.

Your going to know if there in rut in that area!
Your also going to hunt some Steep and deep country, well worth it, there are some wall-hangers lurking the area!

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have hunted that area but further north around the haystack area...alot of country in there I would plan on doing some serious humping !

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
I was camping later part of archery at the cattle guard base of elk mtn last year and back side rd take you over to Cabin Creek off Hwy 125. Lot of hunters on top of Drowsy Water few of those rd can get the ATV in. I've been in Drowsy in rifle season and guest ranch lets his hunters in first couple years was pretty good.

Hard to say this year since season ends week later. I've hunted Middle Park since 1977 mostly with rifle between the bettle kill and ATV hard to find good drainage to hunt anymore. I was up unit 18 and 28 month ago scouting and was worst drive with the ATV than Hwy 70.

Last year they closed Kauffman Creek rd off Hwy 125 over to Stillwater Pass rd and that rd ties Hwy 34 to Hwy 125. If your coming from 34 over to Grand Lake thru the park if you take StillWater Pass rd going west maybe 5 miles you come to a fork stay to the right that get you close to the Never Summer Wilderness. If you stay one 34 at south end of Lake Granby got to look at map but end of Arapaho Bay Rd is some camp site got to pay for it but that get you into Indian Peak Wilderness got good hunting back there. After you go over the dam on right side you see some parking might even see some horse trailers also good hunting back in there.

Well good luck

USMC
Life Member VFW
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Roper are talking about the trailhead by lake Granby that goes up to watanga lake ?

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I will be hunting on my aunts ranch on supply creek second rifle season. Always elk!! Finally gonna get back up to hunt. Was set last year and wifey was back in hospital for emergency heart surgery.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.