-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am over 67, long retired, and just enjoying the hell out of life.
With all I have to do, with family, my grand child, wife, running two homes, hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, messing around with boats, guns, knives, and helping my Son's business, I hardly have any time to breathe. smile

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the suggestions. I learned something this evening.

I retired three years ago at age 63. and I wonder how I ever had time to work a job. Lack of something to do is not a problem for me, the energy to do it is another matter. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I retired at 60, I'm seventy now. I would not have time for a regular job now and do all the things I do. Most days I walk out the door and there is something that needs done around my place.

The hardest thing to learn after retiring is that not everything has to be done today.

I traveled for 3 months out of every year for 30 years and don't care if I ever get on another plane for the rest of my life and I don't need to travel.

If you have given up all your hobbies, look around and volunteer to help others. There is always some need there.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm all ready thinking about this. In my early 50's now, and really trying to sock away money for retirement, as I know we will never have enough no matter how much I save up. We don't travel much, so I don't see that as a viable diversion. I guess I'm a little more grounded. Hopefully my son and daughter each get married eventually and I have grandkids to dote over. 'Can't wait to introduce some young 'uns to the out of doors. Thinking about dusting off my traps and running a line again. 'Haven't laid any steel in over 25 years now. My other plan is to get involved politically in the out of doors. The outdoor arena has given much to me over the years, and it's high time I stepped up my level of commitment to protect our outdoors heritage.

Last edited by gophergunner; 08/19/13.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I turned 60 last year and I am trying to find something that interests me. I'm still working because I like the money, but am tiring of the travel involved. I often think about retiring at 62, and what my daily routine would be. I want to write a book for posterity's sake, but other than that I feel like I have succumbed to life's "rat race." I sold all my motorcycles, cancelled my plans to buy an airplane, no longer have season football tickets, and simply want an uncluttered and simple life. I can't think of any material thing that interests me any more. Is there something wrong with me, or is this just a symptom of growing old?

The only thing wrong with you, as far as I can see, is that you're bothered about it. The point here is to be happy.

It sounds like you have relied on a lot of outward things to make you happy-- not a criticism, btw. Those things have now come up wanting, and you're looking for something new to make you happy.

A lot of folks go their entire lives never questioning this cycle. It is a good thing that you are, and that you've begun to question it early enough in your life to do something about it.

Sit down and make a list of the 5 or so things you find most important in life-- think long and hard. Figure out 5 or so things you can set as goals to make those things come to fruition in your life. Prioritize them, make a plan, work the plan. Get up every morning any figure out what you're going to do based on those values, goals and plans. Later, rinse, repeat. You'll get there.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ltppowell
The only thing I'm tired of is responsibility.

Retirement will fix that fo sho.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm 66 quit real work 20yrs ago and have since gotten rid of everything but a good dog old truck few flintlocks, recurves, one compound, a handgun, 22 rifle, few flyrods and every kinda hunting gadget you can think of. I'm down to either hunting whitetails or getting ready to go.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I retired at 37, and spent the next 11 years doing the things I wanted and knew I wouldnt be able to do in old age. The money ran out at 48, the bucket list was filled, so it was back to work!
Now Im 61 and contemplating another retirement,but I was right about the bucket list and not being able in old age... frown

I may stay working cause I love my job, and wouldnt know what to do with my time....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for a guy that prances around in a leopard thong, you sure are a smart guy! (grin)

have often said they should loan you 500K when you're 25, enjoy the next 10-15 years and then work to repay it till you drop dead

I struck some balance in my life doing vs. dreaming

but lately I find I'm not outdoors (our yard don't count) as much as I desire.

that's one of the things I'm most looking forward to about slowing down on this whole work gig, more time afield. but alas, approaching 60 I don't have the strength nor stamina that I did in my 40's. I could still go pretty hard then.

but it is what it is, best to make the most of it I reckon.

I see some pretty fit 70-80 year old guys, hope to be one of them someday.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just turned 59

I am tired and want to do less work and more fun

one more wedding and maybe I can

in 2-3 more years

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Worked as a saw filer in mills for 42 years and was able to retire in Dec. at age 60.

Been at this retirement stuff for 8 months and am LOVING it!

NO MORE STRESS!!!

I did go to work 2 days a week in a gunshop, doing what I enjoy.

Work 2 days, have 5 off...Works for ME! (GRIN!)

I take my two dogs for about a mile walk on my neighbors timber land in the mornings,

Then go to town to do errands and have lunch.

When I get home, I set on the porch with one of my rifles, and "guard" my bird feeders from "varmits"....Life is GOOD!

Virgil B.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I turned 60 last year and I am trying to find something that interests me. I'm still working because I like the money, but am tiring of the travel involved. I often think about retiring at 62, and what my daily routine would be. I want to write a book for posterity's sake, but other than that I feel like I have succumbed to life's "rat race." I sold all my motorcycles, cancelled my plans to buy an airplane, no longer have season football tickets, and simply want an uncluttered and simple life. I can't think of any material thing that interests me any more. Is there something wrong with me, or is this just a symptom of growing old?

There's nothing wrong with you. You're just hitting the reset button. You don't have to have a grand plan for the future to be happy. You're way ahead of others as you have jettisoned your encumberances. Figure it out as it comes. Oftentimes a "forced plan" leads to a "this isn't what I expected" scenario.

Remember, every day is a gift. Enjoy the day and see what tomorrow may bring.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
S
SHW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
PRAY and get some exercise.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Indeed, I am impressed with the advice given thus far, but have to add one thing that has been discussed before and applies here.

I could have made the o.p. Guys over 50 that feel like this should, by all means rule out low testosterone. There is a correlation between low free testosterone and depression in aging men.

Started giving myself shots recently and am starting to feel like I am coming alive again.

Just saying.

Those who want something current on this topic should get the book "Testosterone for Life" by A. Morgentaler.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Low T. Seriously.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'd feel better if I got to do inject some P more often. whistle

Last edited by eyeball; 08/19/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Start a vineyard.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I turned 60 last year and I am trying to find something that interests me. I'm still working because I like the money, but am tiring of the travel involved. I often think about retiring at 62, and what my daily routine would be.

I fully understand how you feel. Whenever I do the math on retiring, it looks like I will be working until age 70. mad
Does it get me down .... YES it does.
Especially today ... it's MONDAY

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's like doing the math on having a kid. If you do it, you'll never have one. You spend what you make.

It just wasn't worth it to me any longer to work 60+ hours a week for $2K a month.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Manic_Hunter

Amature ham radio is a great retirement hobby. You can travel the globe from your ham shack and converse with many interesting forieners.

This in spades.... My wife and I both got our tickets about 1 1/2 years ago..... Finished getting a tower with 3 beams stacked up on it 2 weeks ago.... Making new friends around the World....

PM inbound

Please don't feed the trolls!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (257_X_50, 338reddog, 808outdoors, AB2506, 19rabbit52, 338Rules, 12 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,115
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.