Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've let my pastures go WAY beyond where I usually do this year. It's just been a crazy year with a million things going on and not enough time for everything. I've finally got a free weekend and hooked the bush hog up, but now I'm second guessing myself.

On the one hand I don't want the woody veg to get a foot hold again, and there's quite a bit of clover and alfalfa that still hold on out there and does quite well when I keep the fields short.

On the other hand the song birds are loving these over grown pastures. I bet I saw 20 different species out there this morning including about 100 goldfinches all over the thistles. I've also seen more rabbits this summer than I have in years. I'm sure the tall grass helps their chances greatly.

Right now the fields are knee to chest high with a great variety of grasses, weeds and wild flowers. It's too late in the season to expect much regrowth before the freeze. I'm thinking just let it go and cut in the spring. Any thoughts?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mow half.

Mow a strip, skip a strip.

Not knowing where you are, what your goals are, and probably a dozen other details (like how well the fish might be biting if you decide to fish and not mow), there isn't a lot one can really say.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
if you have horses grazing the pasture then cut it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, I"d leave some and mow some. Best of both worlds.

The worst, IMHO, is to be total cover or total food.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd let it be

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My first thought was mowing strips, unless you can graze it.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
No grazers here. This is strictly for personal enjoyment and the benefit to wildlife. There's no lack of food this year here for the deer. Corn and winter wheat surround me, plus i just put in 2+ acres of oats just for the deer. Apples and pears are the best crop in years not to mention crab apples. I haven't been out to survey the acorns but if they are like everything else it should be a bumper year.

I'm thinking I'll just mow a couple passes around the outside edges to keep the woods from encroaching and leave the rest. We had a hen turkey hanging out in the pasture this spring and we're pretty sure she was nesting there. I let it go hoping she could get a nest off without being disturbed. The farmers here cut hay so early that most field nests don't stand a chance.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I cant recall where i read it, but in regards to turkey, they nest in the tall grass NEXT TO The woods.

So DONT cut the grass right up against the woods. It allows an escape path from the high grass if you leave the grass right next to the hard woods for them when pressured by yotes, hawks, or us.

Start cutting out a bit further. Like 4 or 5 foot.

I like the idea of cutting some and leaving some. Song birds are great enjoyment.

Last edited by Serb; 08/22/13.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
even though animals browse on browse and not so much grass, that browse can get old and tough. Bush hogging makes it develop new tender growht. Just FWIW

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
cut the whole field the birds will love the seeds and the bugs the Bush Hog will make more available to them . Deer will like the field better with new clover growth

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One caveat: You can easily bush hog a fawn in the tall grass. Lots of people have done it. Since you've waited this long I'd probably wait a little longer but that's just me. It would torture me to know that I'd run over a baby deer with a bush hog.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since you don't want woody stuff to get back in, I'd mow strips and then alternate either later this year or next year. Keep some tall grass at all times. If you have treelines, only mow half of the grass along those rather than the entire line.

Reminds me I have to get the birdfeeders filled up and start feeding the goldfinches before they lose their summer colors. Love those birds.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This late in the year, I don't think you are very likely to mow a fawn. They are pretty mobile now.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
My first thought was mowing strips, unless you can graze it.

I've got some I keep in strips.

When the growing up section gets saplings, I cut them and let the other parts go.

It's good animal habitat, and the deer, quail and rabbits love it, and it keeps me in blackberries.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know what plant hardiness zone you are in. If in the northern zones, clover and alfalfa will be storing energy reserves in the roots now or soon.

Do not cut now. I would develop your plan for the pastures this winter and act accordingly in the spring.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by MColeman
One caveat: You can easily bush hog a fawn in the tall grass. Lots of people have done it. Since you've waited this long I'd probably wait a little longer but that's just me. It would torture me to know that I'd run over a baby deer with a bush hog.

It sucks. My dad hit one with the hay mower once. Kinda sad but it happens. Course I'll be 30 next month and thats the only time I can recall so not too bad I guess.

I have hit a hen setting on eggs before with the lawn mower. Kinda bad deal too. Poof.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're worried about songbirds, rabbits, and fawns, you don't have pastures. You have nature plots.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mow it in strips. Fawns and turkey poults should be a non issue at this point. The only small critters you'd need to worry about would be rabbits and they'll usually go under the mower without being harmed.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would mow it all.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If feasible I would leave it until spring. I would then burn it off. Will get rid of a lot of undesirable plants and release a lot of nutrients into the soil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, B52RadarNav, 44mc, Ashworth, 11 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,260
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.