Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got (well, wife's car) a 2005 4WD with the V8 and love the thing. It's the first vehicle I've ever owned that I can say I'll never sell it and will drive it till it dies. We've only got 70k on the clock, but zero problems except having to replace warped brake rotors at 30k (warrantied). It's got great power and is great off road.

The V8 4WD is full-time 4WD, so our fuel mileage sucks at 14mpg in town and 18 mpg highway (hand calculated). But, I didn't buy it for it's mpg.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tomk
I don't know know you or your motive.

I did the search and posted in the interest of disclosure--it wouldn't have hurt for you to do the same, seeing that you also had read it.

It wouldn't have hurt for you not to insinuate that I was a liar, seeing that you "don't know me or my motive"....

ToyotaNation

Pirate4x4

Tacomaworld

ExpeditionPortal

Toyota120

PradoPoint

T4R.org

T4R.org

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Snubbie:

My desire was to get another truck that had the potential to go 300k and get 20mpg to replace my 95 Dodge Cummins (400k on it...motor is still good...), so I don't think that 200k is overly optimistic. I bought a 2006 SR5 in a pinch with low mileage to try for a couple years and then replace with a newer body to survive Michigan salting.

Based on your Ford, if you drive 15k a year and want to run 10yrs to 200k, then a 4Runner with 50k is your target.

My 2006 had 95k on it when I sold it and the only thing that went south was the electric switch for the rear window

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I didn't buy my 2012 4rnr for the gas mileage either, figured it would get around 17 to 19 around town and a little more on the hwy. I was pleasantly surprised to get 20.5 in town and 22.3 on the road. I can live with that. Oh, it has a V6 in it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JMR40
You might want to look at the math of owning new vs used. I did a KBB search of 4-Runners available in my area. Only two 2008's with 4X4 within 75 miles of home and the best deal was $18,000 with just under 100,000 miles. I consider about 15 years and 300,000 miles as far as I want to push one without major restoration. That is a 6 year old truck, (the 2014's are already out) so you should get 9 more years out of it. Breaks down to $2000/year.

The best price on a new vehicle I found was $33,000. If you drive it 15 years it breaks down to $2200/year. Some new versions were as much as $40K. Going that route would be get you up to 2660/year of ownership.

In this case used comes out a little cheaper, but not that much. If you buy new you have at least the 1st 3 years covered by warranty. If you get a lemon you have 3 years to get it fixed, or trade it before you spend a dime. Buying used is a roll of the dice. Most are fine, but you could end up with major repairs on your dime within months, even weeks.

Good advice here. In 2004 I bought a used '98 4Runner 4x4 that turned out to be a real lemon. I put $5K into it in 3 months for repairs (alternator, transmission, etc.) before I decided to unload it. I should have bought new.

Eric

IC B2

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I'd get an FJ Cruiser. That is a REAL 4WD. 4 rnrs have been neutered

FJ Cruisers don't work well for tall guys... the company I used to work for had one for a support vehicle and I drove it around San Diego for a weekend. The vision line out the front was way too low for me when I had to see traffic lights. And they have the mother of all blind spots out the back corners. Otherwise, they seem like pretty cool rigs. Toyota dependability, good sized package.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a 2008 SR5 4WD that just turned 150K. It's been the best vehicle I've ever owned with not a single repair. I run full synthetic and change the oil every 10K with a premium oil filter, air filter and driveshaft greasing. I did the first brake job at 90K and probably ready for another. Also at 90K, I had a coolant change, transmission, transfer case and rear end change.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a '97 that I bought with just over 100k on it and I just blew a head gasket at 254k miles. It's a limited with the locker in back and other than height I have no complaints. I've taken it places that make people scratch their head.

I too would NOT recommend the FJ. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

I recently bought a used Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon and again except for the ride height it's great. Lockers front and rear, sway disconnect, shut off traction control if you want. Rear seat folds flat. TONS of aftermarket support. I will probably put an aluminum V8 in mine when I get my wife a new rig and it becomes my primary.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the replies. I know that buying used is a crapshoot. However, these days you can do a little checkup on an individual vehicle and determine if it has been wrecked or how many owners its had. FWIW.
I LOVE the looks of the FJ but having looked at it, while it seems to have a rather spacious passenger area, the cargo area behind the seat leaves something to be desired. I need a place to haul dog, trash, pine straw bales, maybe a deer carcass, etc. without having to lay down the back seats. I've also slept in the back of my Explorer occasionally, comfortably I might add.

I think a lot of SUV's have been "neutered". Seems the 4 Runner is still a "real" SUV.

Thanks again for all who took time to reply.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The head gasket issue was solved years ago from what I understand.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BWalker

The notorious head gasket issue that plagued Toyota's 3.0L V6 was solved years ago as the motor became obsolete and was replaced by the 3.4L motor, and then later, the 4.0L motor. Toyota conducted a "special service campaign" to address the 3.0L head gasket failures.

The 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE) was first used in the 4Runner in the 2003 model year (4th Generation 4Runner). Based upon my mechanic's experience, my limited Internet research and the ongoing experience with my own 2006 4Runner, head gasket failure seems to be becoming a more prevalent issue as these 4.0L motors begin to age and rack up miles in excess of 100k.

All of the links that I posted above relate to head gasket problems that have occured with 4.0L motors within the last few years or months. Anyone considering buying a used 4Runner with the 4.0L motor might be well served to consider the potential costs of replacing a head gasket.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got a 2000 4runner with 187,000 on the clock. No mechanical issues at all so far. With the V-6 3.4 liter it is a tad underpowered at times when we pull the two place atv trailer.

I had a 95 3.0 liter 4wd PU and had the head gasket issue at 237,000 miles. I 'fixed' it with a can of nano technology head gasket repair. It fixed the gasket but I had to replace the radiator. The guy I sold it to is still driving it with the same motor.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Neighber's Wife Has a 2006 Thats Loaded. They Have Never Had a Days Problem, That I Know Of..But Told Him, She's Ready for Somehing Else. It's Clean Black On Black With Leather. Their Asking $9,000.It's Here In North Ga. If Your intersted.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by CoalCracker

The notorious head gasket issue that plagued Toyota's 3.0L V6 was solved years ago as the motor became obsolete and was replaced by the 3.4L motor, and then later, the 4.0L motor. Toyota conducted a "special service campaign" to address the 3.0L head gasket failures.

The 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE) was first used in the 4Runner in the 2003 model year (4th Generation 4Runner). Based upon my mechanic's experience, my limited Internet research and the ongoing experience with my own 2006 4Runner, head gasket failure seems to be becoming a more prevalent issue as these 4.0L motors begin to age and rack up miles in excess of 100k.

All of the links that I posted above relate to head gasket problems that have occured with 4.0L motors within the last few years or months. Anyone considering buying a used 4Runner with the 4.0L motor might be well served to consider the potential costs of replacing a head gasket.

IIRC there was a TSB on this and the problem was with 05-08 model years. I believe the gasket material/design was changed and the problem was solved.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]
IIRC there was a TSB on this and the problem was with 05-08 model years. I believe the gasket material/design was changed and the problem was solved. [/quote]

I have read that Toyota did change the part number for the 1GR-FE head gasket sometime around 2007 or 2008, and so they probably recognized a problem and made changes. Hopefully, the problem is solved for vehicles newer than my 2006. People who have approached Toyota to cover the 4.0L head gasket failures out of warranty have basically been told to go pound sand - so far.

I have a hypothesis about what might be a contributing factor, and I don't know whether the 5th Generation 4Runners are designed the same as the 4th Generation. From what I have read, most, if not all, failures have begun with leaking into an even-numbered cylinder, which are located on the driver's side of the motor. If you follow the exhaust from the manifold on the paseenger's side, it goes nearly stratight back all the way to the tailpipe. However, the driver's side exhaust comes off the manifold and makes a near 90 degree turn under the transfer case and connects with the passenger side pipe. In addition, where the exhaust pipe goes under the transfer case, it is flattened and constricted so as not to protrude any lower than the frame crossmember in that area.

I imagine that the gasket used on the left and right cylinder banks is the same. Because the failure appears to always happen on only one side, there must be something causing it other than random gasket failure. I'm thinking that there might be more heat build-up in the even-numbered cylinders because of the convoluted exhaust routing and constriction. If there is anything to this hypothesis, hopefully the new gasket material will be up to the job.

I would be curious to know whether anyone with a 5th Generation 4Runner has ever noticed how the exhaust flows back to the tailpipe, especially on the driver's side.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've bragged on mine more than enough....

26 yrs old next month.... has been mega reliable....

2200 RE, very high miles...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CoalCracker

IIRC there was a TSB on this and the problem was with 05-08 model years. I believe the gasket material/design was changed and the problem was solved.

Thanks for that Info I have a 2009 4.0 and my kid has a 2006 4.0 Tacoma ..we both have close to 70k on each.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My wife has a 2011 SR5 2wd - I HATE it!!! Worst handling (steering/braking) thing I've ever driven, honestly. On anything more than the applying a very small amount of brake, it does a huge nose dive. And the pedal travel is horrible - like 3" before you get any braking at all, then it's all of the sudden. I have had it in for repair several times and they've replaced about everything possible, but still explain that it is normal (good dealer that strives to make their customers happy)! I would love to have one of the previous versions instead. So you know I'm not a Toyota hater, I've had a Tacoma and 2 Tundras (old and new model) and loved 'em all!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (35sambar, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.