Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Given that the same amount of material is removed from the barrel from stem to stern, I fail to see how balance is grossly affected. And, as EdM says, balance can be restored. Holes in the buttstock under the pad, or adding a little material to the fore arm. However, I doubt balance will be effected enough to notice.

Where people get these ideas that muzzle wall thickness should be .150" is beyond me??? Lothar Walther's Art. 718 barrel has a muzzle diameter of .591" and is offered in 9,3x62.
While a Ruger may be less expensive, is it really what you want?

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I know of a Ruger Hawkeye matte/walnut NIB on the shelf for $469.

Very good price.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by EdM
A .10" is plenty. This confirmed by Cliff LaBounty who did three rebores for me as well as Ruger who delivered my factory Ruger RS Whelen at .560". Balance can likely be maintained via punching a few holes in the butt. I do like my rifles light too.

Ok, glad it will work. The Kimber's balance isn't great in smaller calibers....it will only be made worse by removing metal. Not sure how to punch a few holes in the butt of a Montana.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by z1r
Given that the same amount of material is removed from the barrel from stem to stern, I fail to see how balance is grossly affected.

The barrels on your rifles run clear to the buttpad?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I know of a Ruger Hawkeye matte/walnut NIB on the shelf for $469.

Very good price.

I've already had a few PM's asking the location! It is a good deal. They had 3-4 in stainless last year for the same price. I bought one and they dissapeared fast.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by z1r
Given that the same amount of material is removed from the barrel from stem to stern, I fail to see how balance is grossly affected.

The barrels on your rifles run clear to the buttpad?

Don't yours? grin

If the rifle balances well to begin with a rebore is unlikely to affect it by much if any. If it didn't balance well, then I'd expect that to remain the same after a rebore. Unless it was butt heavy. Seriously, how much weight to you honestly think is removed in the process?

I've done more than a few and haven't found one yet where balance was affected detrimentally. If it were, it is easy enough to add back a bit of weight to compensate.

Last edited by z1r; 08/26/13.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You're right, the effect on a rifle with decent balance shouldn't be great. My issue is that the Kimbers, especially the Classics, don't have a high % of weight out front. So removing metal will only make it worse. Personally, I would rather have a rifle be a bit barrel heavy than butt heavy. Balancing over the lug seems about perfect.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 08/26/13. Reason: having affect/effect issues
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm with you, I prefer a slight weight forward bias, it really helps settle things down when shooting offhand. And, if as you say, the Kimber has a weight rearward bias, it ain't gonna get better. You can replace some of the weight lost via the rebore and place it towards the tip of the fore end.

The rifles I have had rebored all had proper balance to begin with. That would be a good starting point to be sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by reelman
Originally Posted by sidepass
Buy a 84L in 06 and rebarrel. Toying with the idea of a 84L in 9.3x62 that might be the cats meow!

Not a bad idea. Then I could go with stainless/walnut which I really like the look of.

Reboring would be less expensive.

at this point rebarrel do it once

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
They are certainly not as light as a Kimber, but the older Ruger 77RS with the tang safety in .35 Whelen is nice. I picked up one several years ago in original mint condition. The nice thing about it, is you can buy a trigger spring, and a sear from Ernie, and have one of the finest triggers around. I never put the new sear in, as the new lighter trigger spring did the trick. Good luck in finding a nice Whelen.

G2

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by EdM
A .10" is plenty. This confirmed by Cliff LaBounty who did three rebores for me as well as Ruger who delivered my factory Ruger RS Whelen at .560". Balance can likely be maintained via punching a few holes in the butt. I do like my rifles light too.

Ok, glad it will work. The Kimber's balance isn't great in smaller calibers....it will only be made worse by removing metal. Not sure how to punch a few holes in the butt of a Montana.

Though no expert, I was under the impression the OP was with regard to the 84L and it was a wood stocked rifle and not a Montana. Help me out here as I am not a Kimber buff?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM

Though no expert, I was under the impression the OP was with regard to the 84L and it was a wood stocked rifle and not a Montana. Help me out here as I am not a Kimber buff?

Exactly. Also, when someone posts that they want a specific model, the assumption is that they actually like that model, are comfortable with it, and therefore want it. thus, the response to buy the '06 and have it rebored. All told, you add under $250 to the acquisition price.

Other folks may not feel the rifle balances well, but since the OP expressed a desire to own one, I assume (I know, dangerous word) that he is ok with it. I don't know about you but I rarely, ok never, buy a rifle that doesn't fit me well, points like crap, or balances poorly.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by EdM

Exactly. Also, when someone posts that they want a specific model, the assumption is that they actually like that model, are comfortable with it, and therefore want it. thus, the response to buy the '06 and have it rebored. All told, you add under $250 to the acquisition price.

Other folks may not feel the rifle balances well, but since the OP expressed a desire to own one, I assume (I know, dangerous word) that he is ok with it. I don't know about you but I rarely, ok never, buy a rifle that doesn't fit me well, points like crap, or balances poorly.

I'm assuming the user is bright enough to figure out he might be able to rebore a 30/06. Guessing if that's what he wanted he would have done so 18 months ago.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seriously, many shooters have no idea you can rebore a barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is there even enough metal in an 84L barrel to rebore safely to .35 Whelen? Hell, if it me, I'd opt to rebarrel and go 9.3x62mm grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have 2 projects going now. Have a 84L in 06 that could become a 9.3 x 62 in a heartbeat. Kimber classic select. Anyone suggest barrel conture, needs more chicken no doubt. Also who to do the rebarrel.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
R
reelman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
So if I were to get a 30/06 rebored to Whelen how do they mark the new caliber on the barrel? Will it just be another stamp or do they take the old caliber markings off some how? I have a P64 M70 that was rechambered from 358 to 350 Rem Mag and the smith never marked it in any way.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mine have a nice, smooth ground flat over the original and a proper, engraved remark of the new though with my pre-war JP Sauer I requested no change in markings as I wanted the fine octagon to round finely cross filed integrally ribbed with finely engraved marking left untouched. My son's now what to shoot out of it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

606 members (160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 69 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,296
Posts18,449,007
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.