-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked at the flood maps ect before picking my home. I ain't in one. Not a 100 year. SE NC is prone to hurricanes, I know that. I'm 25 miles from the coast. I know we get an occasional tornado. Wind damage, check.
I feel for those in storm ravaged areas. I'm partial to the Outer Banks of NC, but when I saw them building houses between the primary and secondary dunes I knew that was going to be future debris. And they rebuilt. Take the .gov money out of it and they will quit.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You guys aren't suggesting that there are government programs that could promote irresponsible behavior now are you?

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I think your insurance should reflect the risk of the hazard. If you don't have enough to clear the sight and replace the loss that is on you.

If you want to build your house in a setting that makes it more likely that you will loose it in a fire, close to trees and brush, that is on you, a risk you take. Your insurance rates should reflect that. No different than building a house in a flood plain. If I build a house within a flood plain at say the 10 or 25 year occurrence level it would be stupid not to expect to deal with a flood within that time frame. And yes, your insurance does reflect that.

In the wildfire per-planning CIM outlines there are usually plans to check the fire given the expected flow (considering variables). I don't think they should really spend a great deal of those limited resources trying to create a cold spot within that fire zone. The objective is to stop the fire, not to protect property within that wildfire area. Lives yes, property no.

My risk here from nature is very high wind or tornado. I do have enough insurance to clear my sight and rebuild. (My house was built in 1906 and is vastly stronger than the match boxes built today). So pray for the safety of my family and don't worry about my personal property, I got that covered.

Agree 100%. If someone want to build in a fire or hurricane prone are, I'm OK - but just don't expect me to pick up the tab in Federal assistance or higher insurance premiums on my home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by billhilly
You guys aren't suggesting that there are government programs that could promote irresponsible behavior now are you?

Subsidize stupidly and you get?

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, all my life i have chosen to live on hills. Just on last Friday, we had a very heavy 24-hour rainfall that was as heavy as I can remember, anywhere. The streams and road gutters (typically 3 feet deep here) were like a flash flood.

Farther down bore the brunt of it. We were fine. The only scary part is that there had been no other rain in August, so there was a concern about landslides. Fortunately we are on the side of a little extinct volcano, so it is rocky.

Planning is good. grin

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B2

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple years ago a family member, over dinner, mentioned that they were about to buy a piece of property is a "historical" flood zone. Huh? Seller told them that, while it was technically a flood zone it had been sooo long sense any water damage in the area.

I shoot my mouth off, and as a result they didn't buy that house. Blamed me for spoiling it for them. The next year, you guessed it, they could see the flooding from the house they did buy...up on the hill.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
very few places in the US arent prone to one natural disaster or another.....some places they just happen a lil more often.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you do not like what the fellow posts then you have the where-withal to ignore him.

It is working for me.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
very few places in the US arent prone to one natural disaster or another.....some places they just happen a lil more often.....

[bleep],

I'd take my chances living in beautiful (dangerous) mountain country where I can shoot, piss off my deck, and walk around nekkid outside if I have to rather than a "safe" subdivision surrounded by concrete and asphalt with neighbors peering into your backyard and your business.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler

Yes, there are geographical reasons why some areas are poorer than others.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shreck
I looked at the flood maps ect before picking my home. I ain't in one. Not a 100 year. SE NC is prone to hurricanes, I know that. I'm 25 miles from the coast. I know we get an occasional tornado. Wind damage, check.
I feel for those in storm ravaged areas. I'm partial to the Outer Banks of NC, but when I saw them building houses between the primary and secondary dunes I knew that was going to be future debris. And they rebuilt. Take the .gov money out of it and they will quit.

Try finding one in Galveston Texas.

In the City....

Our house is 5-6 feet higher than the street and the street is 5ft above sea level

That said, we still had 4 feet of water in the house during Ike

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live in a hurricane zone, just a part of life here. Also possibly in a 100 or 500 year flood plain, I am not sure and since the house isn't mortgage the lender doesn't require it.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of the flood plains either. A house that is owned by a family member (not occupied) is outside the 500 year flood plain in TX and was washed off it's beams/foundation in 2008 when we got 18" of rain in about 12-14 hours in the spring. The house was built around 1900.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (808outdoors, 338reddog, 257_X_50, AB2506, 19rabbit52, 6 invisible), 1,259 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,118
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.