Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well, my dealer free oil changes has run out so I will be doing it my self from now on. I was at Wally world yesterday looking at the oil available and the choices were staggering. I have a 2011 Tacoma V6 with 4WD and a little over 25000 miles on it. It came with regular oil but I am thinking now might be a good time to go synthetic but I not knowledgeable enough to know if this makes sense or not. I also noticed that Quaker State has a full synthetic that was not much higher than regular brand name oils but I wondered about quality with the price being so much cheaper than other synthetics. Advice or direction needed. Thanks, miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Mobil 1 seems to be the standard synthetic choice for most. Personally I'd stick to a good dino oil if that's what it came with. You're only driving about 12K a year, you'll trade off the truck long before you'll ever see any benefit to synthetic oil. I have a 2005 Toyota camry that's been fed Valvoline dino oil all it's life and it's got 270,000 miles on it now, still purrs like a kitten.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with Crow hunter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I have a 2005 Toyota camry that's been fed Valvoline dino oil all it's life and it's got 270,000 miles on it now, still purrs like a kitten.

+1. My 2005 Taco 4WD is pushing 230,000 miles and has lived on Rotella for all those years.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Whichever oil you choose just make sure you use a GOOD filter.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been an Amsoil fan for as long as I've been driving but I use Toyota 0w20 and Toyota filter in my 2011 4Runner Trail Edition. It's an excellent oil that protects well at start up. It's not much more than conventional oil and at 12,000 miles a year you could get away with one oil change a year. You could do a UOA through Blackstone at 8,000 miles just to make sure

Last edited by huntsonora; 08/27/13.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Toyota Oil is repackaged Mobil regular oil...

I'd recommend Mobil One still, even if you don't want to run it the longest that you can... nothing says you can't change it more often...I'd go with 5w20 "for the engines over 75,000 mile version"...the dominant reason of it have more ZDDP/Zinc content than the other versions available...

Gotta admit, I don't trust thin dino oils, at hot temps, but I do trust Mobil 1 at any temp...

Quaker State's 'synthetic' oil, is just highly refined dino oil, as is Valvolines, Castrol's etc....

Pennzoil ( Shudder) is the only other real synthetic they offer, which is good oil, but I can't get pass the stigma of their regular motor oil..

and as Earl recommended, invest in a good oil filter...the best oil with a cheap filter is a waste of good money... AND THE BEST FILTER DOESN'T SAY FRAM ON THE SIDE OF IT....The Purolater, is the best one Wally World carries...but a Wix Made NAPA filter is better...

Particular for women, friends of my wife's, who have no man in their life, I have recommended what huntsonora says,
once a year oil changes.... and recommend that they have it done on their birthday, so they will remember when that once a year time is....what better way for a chick to remember something than when it is connected to something about themselves....

best of luck...

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Only time will tell Miles. I've used Mobil 1 in every thing I've driven the past twenty years. None have died of engine failure.

Currently driving a 2000 Tacoma I bought '99. Used the so called dino oils until I felt sure the rings were well seated then switched to Mobil 1. Have 135,000 on it now. Use the Mobil filter. No problems, if I could just get the youngsters and little old ladies from running in to me.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by milespatton
Well, my dealer free oil changes has run out so I will be doing it my self from now on. I was at Wally world yesterday looking at the oil available and the choices were staggering. I have a 2011 Tacoma V6 with 4WD and a little over 25000 miles on it. It came with regular oil but I am thinking now might be a good time to go synthetic but I not knowledgeable enough to know if this makes sense or not. I also noticed that Quaker State has a full synthetic that was not much higher than regular brand name oils but I wondered about quality with the price being so much cheaper than other synthetics. Advice or direction needed. Thanks, miles

I am guessing if it is 0-20 weight then Pennzoil platinum is worth every penny. I run 5-30 in my 2009 but that engine has different specs then yours. I always use a toyota filter ...never a problem.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by milespatton

I have the same truck with 34K on it. I changed to synthetic 3k ago after my freebies ran out also!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I use 5w30 Mobil one in the 09 Lexus and 07 Tacoma, Toyota filters for both buy a case at the dealer and ask for a discount. The 5qt Mobil one at wally world is a good buy.

I change the Tacoma every 10k. I've only got 115k but will be extremely disappointed if I don't get 350k out of it.

Sean
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mobil 1 seems to be the standard synthetic choice for most. Personally I'd stick to a good dino oil if that's what it came with. You're only driving about 12K a year, you'll trade off the truck long before you'll ever see any benefit to synthetic oil. .

BS. Now, if you had said Amsoil and bypass filtration, then yes, I would agree, you'd have to be a high-mileage driver to get a nickel back. I might put dino oil in my lawnmower, then again, maybe not.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Mobil 1 seems to be the standard synthetic choice for most. Personally I'd stick to a good dino oil if that's what it came with. You're only driving about 12K a year, you'll trade off the truck long before you'll ever see any benefit to synthetic oil. .

BS. Now, if you had said Amsoil and bypass filtration, then yes, I would agree, you'd have to be a high-mileage driver to get a nickel back. I might put dino oil in my lawnmower, then again, maybe not.

You know, opinions on oil are like a$$holes, everyone's got one and everybody's but their own stinks. I gave my opinion, it might stink to you but it's certainly not BS. Of the three vehicles in my driveway right now only one of them has less than 270,000 miles on it, the highest mileage has 375,000 miles and it's never had a drop of synthetic oil in it. I might be wrong, but I'm guessing you've never come close to putting 375,000 miles on a vehicle. When you do, then come back and run your suck hole about how you have to use synthetic to get it to last through a drive to the grocery store.

And I wouldn't run Amsoil in my lawnmower.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The fact is that ANY oil and filter that meets the manufacturer specs is fine. For dino oils change it at intervals no more than 6000 miles and for synthetics no more than 12,000 miles and your vehicle will live a long happy life. If your usage includes a lot of short trips or towing heavy loads then decrease the drain intervals by 30% and all should be good.

Last edited by TwoTrax; 08/31/13.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
5 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic and a good filter on sale for $32 at advance right now,,, came out with 4 , 5 quart jugs of 0-20 and 4 Purolator filters for the 5.7 tundra. That's a good deal if you run synthetic.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a 2012 Tacoma and still under the oil change program from the Toyota dealership. I buy Mobil 1 and take it to them to put in my truck.

Of equal importance, make sure you use only Toyota oil filters. Do a study on them compared to anything else out there, they are the best bar none. Nothing compares that I have found.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

You know, opinions on oil are like a$$holes, everyone's got one and everybody's but their own stinks. I gave my opinion, it might stink to you but it's certainly not BS.

No, mine stinks as well 'cause I just got done workin' out. Sorry for [bleep]' in your cornflakes, but I'm sure you'll get over it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use and recommend Mobil 1 in most of my rigs and change oil once or twice per year. That being said, I run Rotella T6 in my landcruiser and change about every 8 months or so.

That being said, if I was you and wanted synthetic, I'd run Mobil 1 and if I wanted dino, I'd run Chevron. Both are available at Costco and Walmart, etc, in larger bottle sizes.

I'd probably use 5w-30 or 0W-40 in lieu of the 0W-20, but as mentioned, everybody has an opinion on oil, and if you want your head to spin, go to the "bobistheoilguy.com" web site and see what the real fanatics have to say......

Regards,

Tom
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tominboise

That being said, if I was you and wanted synthetic, I'd run Mobil 1 and if I wanted dino, I'd run Chevron. Both are available at Costco and Walmart, etc, in larger bottle sizes.

Sound advice, as long as the Mobil One is the extended performance variety.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Its a lot to read. But, after I read it all, I've stuck with Toyota factory filters.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...thailand-vs-competition.html#post2389585

Look up Dahl Toyota on ebay. I bought a box of 10 with new plug seals for $40.00 and free shipping.

Oil I use Mobil 1 Synth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
537 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.