Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8030271 08/31/13
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sniper magazine has an article about shooting in the wind using velocity and B C. Perhaps someone here could post in better language what he is trying to convey.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Do you have a link to it?

I'd be happy to take a look as see if I can help you out.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 08/31/13.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You're on the wrong forum! We just discuss politics, racist events, and BS here!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
pretty broad subject.

No link.

But of course its easy. Figure out the MV and the BC and it tells you what the drift is. Correct for that and press the trigger.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This author invented a formula he says anyone with a third grade education can do in his head. I didn't understand. Perhaps it is decause l didn't get a GED till l was 51 years old so l can't keep up with a third grader.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If I can see the formula I'll try to translate it for you, but ya gota help me a bit.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When l get home l can try to copy some of it. Thanks.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Forgive the random position of the photos. After they look rotated on photobucket they still turn out messed up. Anyway I think one should follow the other here. All the charts from the article are here.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff364/RichCoyle/008_zps5f083fd7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff364/RichCoyle/006_zpsfe857995.jpg[/img]

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.dexadine.com/bexmain.html works well for me. Love it!

And you can try it FREE for 30 days.

And get FREE up-dates after you buy it.

C-c-c-can't miss! laugh grin smile

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just get Shooter app on your phone, simple, forget doing all that math in the field.

NRA Patron Member
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
or make a chart and tape it to the stock for each gun. Average wind speed and then you can go from there with a SWAG.

If its far enough that a SWAG isn't good enough, then you need a ballistics app IMHO.

Plus the ancient chart on wind speed guesses is crazy... if you don't have a speed meter then you are only guessing generally to start with.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barsness' article on wind flags has more USEFUL information it seems to me.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The big problem with wind is folks are always looking for an easy way to solve it.

Drop which used to be noted as teh BIG thing to protect against is a no brainer with a rangefinder and some practice.

But wind, even with a wind speed meter, and the calculations you can get off the phone or palm or chart etc.... still have part voodoo to them. That part takes a lot of actual hands on shooting to learn.

Hence my opinion that most folks have no business past 300 yards when wind starts to come into play a bit even on mild winds.

Actually most folks don't shoot enough and arent' accurate enough at 200 or even 100 yards for my tastes....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to mention the fact that the wind is blowing every-which-a-way between your muzzle and your target � at any distance.

� and that wind isn't the only cause of drift.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
The big problem with wind is folks are always looking for an easy way to solve it.

Drop which used to be noted as teh BIG thing to protect against is a no brainer with a rangefinder and some practice.

But wind, even with a wind speed meter, and the calculations you can get off the phone or palm or chart etc.... still have part voodoo to them. That part takes a lot of actual hands on shooting to learn.

Hence my opinion that most folks have no business past 300 yards when wind starts to come into play a bit even on mild winds.

Actually most folks don't shoot enough and arent' accurate enough at 200 or even 100 yards for my tastes....

Very true Rost.

Wind at 100 and 200 isn't easy to shoot through without lots of practice, 300 only magnifies the error. Just amazes me that people will want to take a shot on a deer @ 400-500, but cant put the first shot into the kill zone @ 200 from the bench.

Mr. Howell don't get people going on the dynamics of drift other than wind as it usually becomes a mess very quickly. laugh
But you are very correct.

This is a boring video, but the flags are set at 50 yards and 90 yards. It was a tough day shooting.

[Linked Image]

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The simpleton method I use for reasonable ranges (under 350 yards) in 20 mph ish winds is ...

Drift is ... close enough ... sort of ... about the same ... as bullet drop.

You can use a ballistic calculator to find out what your cartridge, bullet BC, FPS, at a given wind velocity matches up close enough to put you in the boiler room ballpark. This is a good starting point to then field guestimate higher or lower wind velocities and the appropriate drift.

This is a very basic and simple method for those without tons of experience in long range shooting ... like me. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Scenario then. Buck standing broadside between 350 and 400 yards, Temp 30, winds variable between 7 o'clock to 10 o'clock, speed 8 to 12 with gusts to 23. Just as you pop the shot , you get a gust of 23 at the 9 position, wind was 12 at the 7 when you pulled the trigger. Is it a hit or a miss.

Simple caliber, 25.06, 115BT @ 3000, zero range 200yrds.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here is the last paragraph in the article. This is why I want to learn what the author is trying to teach.

[Linked Image]

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dude,

math has its place. you can crunch numbers all you want. Mother Nature may be playing by different rules.

Swifty
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I will say that IMHO generally speaking stronger winds are easier to read. Generally. They don't tend to have as many nuances as the milder winds.

But that being said, to BELIEVE and articel that claims a bit of math will get you consistent MOA hits at 1000 yards just by using a formula is absolutely nuts. At least with the calibers I shoot.

Once again I'll say this... its SIMPLE.. run the ballistics for YOUR round and make a cheat sheet. Its the only way other than the phone or palm.

You have to be as perfect with your solution as you can be, because there are other factors involved that you simply can't learn by book. Only by shooting and plenty of that.

Let me ask you this. you have your wind correction. How much correction will you add in for the mirage?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.