Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I've heard and read that this non external electric source of ignition is not reliable in the mountains - high altitude. I haven't read what is meant by "high altitude" though. Yet there are plenty of
items sold in the camping world that rely on this method.

So, what do others here have to say based on their experiences or other studies?

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/02/13.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I live at 4500 ASL this ignition method works but not the first time.. multiple clicks on most of the devices.

I do not rely on it any higher in altitude without question hit or miss and carry back-up sources.

I can't offer any reasoning why this is.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you're talking stoves, I don't like 'em because they add unecessary weight and I always have something handy to light a stove with. I can't imagine "reliability" ever becoming an issue since I would not rely on them.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those Piezo electric starters don't work at any altitude. They might work when you walk out of the store, and maybe even the first time that you try to use them, but they stop working as soon as you need to count on them. They are furnished on a lot of products because the manufacturer can raise the price of the product a little and unsuspecting first-time buyers are ignorant enough to pay a little extra to get that feature.

I live at 6,400' elevation and the Piezo electric starters on my lanterns don't work. They don't even work on the propane barbeque that sits on my patio.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting. First time I've heard of this and it is valuable to know.

How about on lighters? Even the specialty Stormproof Trekker survival lighter uses Piezo electric ignition. Do those quit working at altitude? I live about 150 feet ASL and and only occasionally hunt up to 6500.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had several the the "survival" "backpacker" lighters with the so called reliable fool proof ignition system..

ummm yeah.. well.. I'm the fool and it's proof they don't work...

I'm back to 2 bic lighters and water proof or strike anywhere matches.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I used my JetBoil to heat water for lunch 2 or 3 times last year, between 10,500 and 11,500. One or two flicks of the Bic, and everything fires right off. Didn't even bother with the piezo. The piezo only works about 50% of the time sitting on my kitchen counter at 800 ASL. YMMV...

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I just got a Snow Peak Giga Power and it worked everytime at 7,000 feet last weekend. I really dig that little stove.

Last edited by Higbean; 09/02/13.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've tried many different brands of hand held strikers. All work fine at home (4k feet) but won't work when camping at 6k or higher. I have yet to find one that works at high altitude.

Does ANYONE make a good old reliable flint striker anymore other than the torch type striker? Those are too hard to get under a stove burner.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use a "Light my Fire" steel almost exclusively at any and all elevations and couldn't be happier.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've used piezo's at altitudes of up to 13k with no problems on my SP stove and am not aware of any reason it would be altitude dependent. From time-to-time I find I need to adjust to gap and location of the wire to keep it working reliably. Of course I always carry a lighter and matches as well just in case. A working piezo is a great convenience IMHE.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have had poor luck with most all lighters but have never had any problem with Snow Peak or Soto stoves even at 10k.

Ed T

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cocadori
I had several the the "survival" "backpacker" lighters with the so called reliable fool proof ignition system..

ummm yeah.. well.. I'm the fool and it's proof they don't work...

I'm back to 2 bic lighters and water proof or strike anywhere matches.

^^^this^^^ The only two types of Lighters that work at altitude are Bics & Zippos! Don't wast your money on the so called "survival" lighters.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors
I've used piezo's at altitudes of up to 13k with no problems on my SP stove and am not aware of any reason it would be altitude dependent. From time-to-time I find I need to adjust to gap and location of the wire to keep it working reliably. Of course I always carry a lighter and matches as well just in case. A working piezo is a great convenience IMHE.

Yep.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Higbean
I just got a Snow Peak Giga Power and it worked everytime at 7,000 feet last weekend. I really dig that little stove.

I recently used one for the first time, and it`s a great little stove. Mine is the manual start, it worked every time though grin . It`s more stable than our Pocket Rocket.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Well it certainly looks like most everyone relies on redundancy
so as to have reliable ignition. You pay a lot for those piezo's feature on a stove. I can only imagine that the reason for any possible failure would be the diminished amount of oxygen.
You would have thought realiability would be first and foremost
since most extreme activity is at altitude.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I still carry matches, but have started using a firesteel a lot. It always works. I got a few different sizes in plain pieces no handles and strikers. They store easy, work wet, and at altitude.
I don't carry stoves anymore. There are some instances it would be more convienent but have gone to carrying trioxane tabs, vasaline soaked cotton balls, and the firesteel. I can get a fire going in a matter of a few seconds even with cold fingers. Not being able to light stuff has been more of a concern to me than lots of other stuff.
I carried a lighter but they are way to unreliable. Link to going gear firesteels

Last edited by BigNate; 09/02/13.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've also found that the position and gap on piezos to be very sensitive. I'm often tweaking the wire with a pair of needle nose pliers to keep things working. Get them wet and its even more of a challenge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ed_T
I have had poor luck with most all lighters but have never had any problem with Snow Peak or Soto stoves even at 10k.

I'm betting you're also in the group that doesn't leave home without a Firesteel.

In fact, I KNOW you don't laugh

I have a V2.0 in my Possibles, in the Fireworks bag. Then I also keep the Firesteel Mini in my Kit Bag all the time. It's redundant, I know. But it got there because it don't weight [bleep], and it does a great job lighting my stove, and I don't have to toss my pack looking for it's big brother.

[Linked Image]

Oh, Ed, we should get whiskey drunk before winter rondy. I got an idea for a product that occurred to me after last winter rondy.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's my only experience with piezo, but my SOTO Micro has always worked, no matter the elevation or temperature. It's a handy feature, but I always carry a few options for spark as backup...

Edit to add: I did leave it out in the rain one night. Starting it for breakfast required a BIC. smile

Last edited by Wrongside; 09/05/13.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.