Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Curious as to what kind of oil is best to use in a used 2009 Honda Foreman? Guy I bought it from says he got oil from NAPA.
But i have heard a lot of good reports about synthetic oil.
Would it hurt to use a synthetic in a used bike that just used non synthetic ?
If not and you were going to use a synthetic which one would you use? Brand ,weight ? rig has 1250 miles on it.
Conditions 30-60 degrees,mostly just hunting use with no pulling or carrying of anything heavy(excluding my 235 pounds !)unless I get lucky and get a big deer(200 plus)for a mile or so.
Thanks
Craig
while we are talking about oil what would you use in the differentials?

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I was told not to use the synthetic in my Honda by the dealer. The same oil is both transmission, and engine. The synthetic is too slick for the transmission.

Last edited by wabigoon; 08/29/13.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use synthetic in my on-road vehicles, but I'm not sure whether I will switch to syn in the ATV. My reasoning is that I would rather change the oil in the ATV much more often than required because of the extreme driving conditions rather than risk contamination of the oil and filter. The name-brand synthetic ATV oils like Yamalube and Amsoil are too expensive to be dumping after only a few hours of use.

I am strongly considering using Shell Rotella T6, which is a 5W-40 synthetic heavy-duty diesel oil. I've seen the 5 quart jugs on sale for $20, and Walmart usually has it pretty cheap, too.

Rotella T6 is JASO MA certified (i.e. few or no friction modifiers) for wet clutch use, which is supposedly a requirement for my ATV. I am not sure whether your Honda has a JASO MA spec or not.

If you google "Rotella T6 and ATV", you will see that it's commonly used by ATV owners and has a pretty good reputation.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Regular Shell Rotella T 15-40. I have been using this oil in my motorcycles, quads and just recently in the Big Red. 20+ years now with never a problem. While I have used synthetics at times for extended drain intervals, good ol' Rotella has never left me down. Also it has the JASO rating for use with a wet clutch. Great oil.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Polaris synthetic in every one I've ever owned. Great Stuff, IMO of course I always run what the MFG recommends & change mine as sceduled in the Owners Manuel. Pretty cheap maintenance, I figure ts money well spent.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Rotella 15W-40

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I was told not to use the synthetic in my Honda by the dealer. The same oil is both transmission, and engine. The synthetic is too slick for the transmission.

^^^^This.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
Regular Shell Rotella T 15-40. I have been using this oil in my motorcycles, quads and just recently in the Big Red. 20+ years now with never a problem. While I have used synthetics at times for extended drain intervals, good ol' Rotella has never left me down. Also it has the JASO rating for use with a wet clutch. Great oil.

Yup. Great oil. My dad runs it in his Gold Wing. I run it in everything I have/had owned.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I simply go by what the maker requires. They recommend their own brand of oil of course. However, they require certain oil ratings. Use them. The 2009 Hondas (and later) require the use of an oil rated for motorcycle, wet-clutch engines. The Yamahas and Suzukis (and some of the older Hondas) only require an automotive rated oil. I've run almost nothing but regular Pennzoil 10W-30 in my older, 98 TRX. I use similar ordinary oils in all our more recent Ys and Ss. But I've watched way too many folks ruin top ends in their newer Hondas. I suspect the oils they use are often the culprit. Ordinary Honda brand oil is good, and it won't break the bank. Skip the fancy stuff. The benefit may or may not be there, but damage is a real possibility.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Polaris synthetic in every one I've ever owned. Great Stuff, IMO of course I always run what the MFG recommends & change mine as sceduled in the Owners Manuel. Pretty cheap maintenance, I figure ts money well spent.

I use Mobil 1 0W40 in my Polaris. It seems to be the preferred replacement oil for Polaris engines. Polaris oil is rated as 2W40.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TwoTrax

I run Rotella T6 5w-40 in my Yamaha Kodiak. Good stuff!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 2011 Yam-Grizz has 9000 miles with ordinary 10W-30 automotive oil in it, usually a Mobil brand since that was what I bought a case of gallons of.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I simply go by what the maker requires. They recommend their own brand of oil of course. However, they require certain oil ratings. Use them. The 2009 Hondas (and later) require the use of an oil rated for motorcycle, wet-clutch engines. The Yamahas and Suzukis (and some of the older Hondas) only require an automotive rated oil. I've run almost nothing but regular Pennzoil 10W-30 in my older, 98 TRX. I use similar ordinary oils in all our more recent Ys and Ss. But I've watched way too many folks ruin top ends in their newer Hondas. I suspect the oils they use are often the culprit. Ordinary Honda brand oil is good, and it won't break the bank. Skip the fancy stuff. The benefit may or may not be there, but damage is a real possibility.

This is what I do also. I just go to the dealer & buy their recommended Honda branded oil. That way I'm guaranteed to get the right stuff with the right additives, and it's good quality oil. Doing it that way I've never had an oil related problem. The same thinking applies to vehicles, just use what the manufacturer recommends. If you'll do that then you'll rarely have any oil related problem. Far too many people try to over think it with the snake oil additives & going outside the recommended viscosity, not to mention those that think you have to run synthetic in everything. Just read the owners manual & use what they recommend, it'll keep you out of trouble.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
not to mention those that think you have to run synthetic in everything

I don't "have" to run synthetics oils, I WANT to run synthetic oils in my vehicles. I'm not saying that conventional oils aren't adequate, I'm saying that synthetics are superior and I don't mind paying a little extra for a better product

I've never understood the guys that hammer on others for using synthetic oils, its as if they are trying to convince themselves that the cheaper option is just as good grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

This is what I do also. I just go to the dealer & buy their recommended Honda branded oil. That way I'm guaranteed to get the right stuff with the right additives, and it's good quality oil. Doing it that way I've never had an oil related problem. The same thinking applies to vehicles, just use what the manufacturer recommends. If you'll do that then you'll rarely have any oil related problem. Far too many people try to over think it with the snake oil additives & going outside the recommended viscosity, not to mention those that think you have to run synthetic in everything. Just read the owners manual & use what they recommend, it'll keep you out of trouble.

In my experience, using manufacturer-branded oils from a dealer guarantees only that you are buying a minimum spec'd product at highly inflated prices. It doesn't take an advanced degree in chemistry to figure out what the engine requires, find a high quality lubricant that meets and usually exceeds those requirements, and often pay far less for your trouble.

Several years ago on the "Bob is the Oil Guy" Internet forum, there was a lot of debate when Honda first started to recommend 5W-20 oil for its U.S. vehicles. BITOG members from Australia posted up photos of their owner's manuals for Honda vehicles with the exact same motors, and Honda recommended 15W-40 oil. The most likely scenario is that Honda recommended 5W-20 oil to better meet its American "CAFE" fuel economy standards, and they recommended 15W-40 to better protect the engines in Australia's often extremely hot climate.

Now if I lived in Arizona or Nevada and purchased a Honda that I planned to run forever, should I use what's recommended in the U.S. owner's manual (5W-20), or use my own common sense and run an oil that would protect my motor better in extremely hot climates? Should I spend $10 per quart for Honda's re-badged conventional oil that probably costs $2 per quart at Walmart under another name or wait for a good sale and spend $5 per quart for a top-quality synthetic oil with a state-of-the-art add pack? YMMV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For 20 bucks (oil & filter,once a year) I use exactly what the maker recommends. Polaris Syn. in my case.
Polaris 4 cycle engines will wear out the cam lobes with pickup motor oil.

Have Dog

Will Travel

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Polaris Synthetic and Filter in my Sportsman 500. Too many grease fittings, but they get TLC as well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use Mobil 1 10w-40 motorcycle oil. I use 75w-90 synthetic gear oil in my differentials. Rotella T6 15w-40 is highly regarded. Rotella T6 is a good buy at Walmart. My ATv sits out in my trailer or my building and I like the 10w-40 for easier starts in Winter. I buy WIX oil filters at NAPA.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Rotella T6 15w-40 is highly regarded.

T6 is a 5w-40 synthetic and it is fantastic stuff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mobil 1 10W30 in my '09 Big Red. Mobil 1 10W30 in my '99 Foreman 400. I change it annually and haven't had any issues with either of them. They are both used for work and play, including ploughing, seeding and dragging food plots.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.