Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tmitch Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Seems I remember someone on here looking for a Winchester M70 Stainless Classic .375 to cut down. There's one at Cabelas that's been shortened for a decent price. Not mine, bolt handle's on the wrong side.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Wi...inless-375-H-H-Mag-.cfm?gun_id=100370535

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not a bad price. It's been cut to 22", but they stuck a brake on it. I'd lose the brake, cut another inch off the barrel and go from there. One may be able to recover something, selling the brake.

To me, a .375 H&H doesn't need a brake.

DF

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I agree and have one of these in my fav. magnum, probably the one "best"cartridge for all-around BC-Territories uses. This is, of course, the superb .338WM and mine had some functional "mods" done at Martini Gunmakers.

The tube was cut to 23", the bolt handle welded, the cocking notch re-worked to prevent that bolt lift some have, the extractor cut in the barrel was radiused and the metal was then bedded into a std. fill Micky Fwt.

I have Talley-Brockman "peep" bases in 8/40, JBed, Talley screwlock QD rings, a very sound 20 year old B&L 4x40 and a Sourdough in a front ramp. It shoots warmish 250 NPs very well, holds "sight-in" and I don't care about dings and whatever.

This is the "spare" to my Dakota 76-.338-also by Martini's and these are about as good as it gets for no bullsh!t serious rifles to be USED hard and often.

I would do as "DF"would, had I not a sts-tubed custom .375 on a P-64 action, another of my "homemade" working rifles and a rather deadly looking and VERY accurate little piece.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
On the SS M-70 Classic in .375 H&H, the barrel contour is way too heavy. Here's mine, cut to 21" with NECG irons. When the barrel was cut, I had the smith tweak the action for smooth feeding. This gun will cycle a full mag of EMPTY cases, smoothly without a hiccup, as fast as I can cycle the bolt. So, you know the cases are lining up exactly with the chamber.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dang right, take that ear splitting brake and throw it in the trash, put eleven degrees on a new crown and start load development with 270 gr. TSX's and RL-15. wink

Nice rifle there DF, if I wasn't 375 poor I'd buy that one from Cabelas today.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Dang right, take that ear splitting brake and throw it in the trash, put eleven degrees on a new crown and start load development with 270 gr. TSX's and RL-15. wink

Nice rifle there DF, if I wasn't 375 poor I'd buy that one from Cabelas today.

Gunner

Yeah, Gunner. Same here.

I think it's priced right. What could you get for that brake?

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That brake would be fishin' lined onto a homemade set of wind chimes....................no value whatsoever. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
We don't have to like'em to get some salvage against the purchase. Gotta be worth something. People do buy those things... smile

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
In that case save the threads ya lop off so's they can turn the proper pitch on their new barrel, hell, kick 'em a handful of complimentary ear plugs with a cash purchase. grin LOL

Gunner

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yea, that's not a bad price considering they're no longer made. The brake's easy enough to get rid of, the rest of the rifle looks to be in great condition.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think the new SC/FN M-70's are OK, although I like the New Haven trigger, especially for a DG type gun. Other than a excessively heavy barrel contour, not much wrong with a N.H. M-70. And, those barrels shoot too good to replace. So lobbing them off to 20-21" seems to be an economical way to end up with a nice handling big gun.

That same barrel contour was used in their .458 and .416 versions. But, those two have a lot less steel in the tube because of larger bores. One size does NOT fit all, IMHO.

Oh well, they didn't ask me... blush

But, don't ya know, I'd a told'em... laugh

DF

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang, DF, that's pretty close to my ideal for a .375.

Maybe just a touch less scope... But then again, maybe not.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
On the SS M-70 Classic in .375 H&H, the barrel contour is way too heavy. Here's mine, cut to 21" with NECG irons. When the barrel was cut, I had the smith tweak the action for smooth feeding. This gun will cycle a full mag of EMPTY cases, smoothly without a hiccup, as fast as I can cycle the bolt. So, you know the cases are lining up exactly with the chamber.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
K, I agree with you. That's a beautiful rifle. Not that I'd trade my pre 64 375 H&H for it, but for a working rig that's about spot on!! DF has some very nice rifles!! K, I also hope you are doing well buddy!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think the new SC/FN M-70's are OK, although I like the New Haven trigger, especially for a DG type gun. Other than a excessively heavy barrel contour, not much wrong with a N.H. M-70. And, those barrels shoot too good to replace. So lobbing them off to 20-21" seems to be an economical way to end up with a nice handling big gun.

That same barrel contour was used in their .458 and .416 versions. But, those two have a lot less steel in the tube because of larger bores. One size does NOT fit all, IMHO.

DF

The world would be a much better place if you and Kutenay and BobinNH were their advisers!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks KDK,

It would be easy to mount another scope. I have Leupolds 1-4, 1.5-5 and an old 3X that I sent back for #4 German and a good cleaning. Any one of those could be mounted with QD's, using this one for load development.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

DF

The world would be a much better place if you and Kutenay and BobinNH were their advisers!!!!!!!

In a perfect world, for sure. laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Every time I see a M70 Classic 375 H&H, I want to take a lathe to that barrel...even the pre 64 is a bit portly. I can live with either one without real consequence but building from scratch I go lighter.

Makes all the difference.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tmitch
Seems I remember someone on here looking for a Winchester M70 Stainless Classic .375 to cut down. There's one at Cabelas that's been shortened for a decent price. Not mine, bolt handle's on the wrong side.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Wi...inless-375-H-H-Mag-.cfm?gun_id=100370535

Here's a stainless/synthetic M70 Classic in 416 Rem with the bolt on the correct side lol. I bought it for my son who's left handed. Barrel cut down to 22", mercury recoil reducer in the stock and CeraKoted. It was really muzzle heavy and the reducer really helped with the balance. As far as recoil goes, it's a pussycat ...

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Every time I see a M70 Classic 375 H&H, I want to take a lathe to that barrel...even the pre 64 is a bit portly. I can live with either one without real consequence but building from scratch I go lighter.

Makes all the difference.

I considered doing just that. Talked to a smith who said the screw holes in the barrel would cause chatter and make a good lathe cut difficult. He didn't want to fool with it. So, that's why I cut it to 21".

Those barrels shoot really well, too well to replace, IMHO.

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm hoping Winchester comes out with a new stainless 375 H&H for next year. I don't care one bit for their laminate Alaskan model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,505
Posts18,452,557
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.