Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

No, of course not. First time I looked at one and saw that it was designed for an ALICE pack, I laughed and tossed it into a pile.

I'm really shocked that you succeeded at not doing something. Again...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
We plan to get plenty of pictures with packs getting bloody......if we can shoot straight.

I have to ship off the Paradox this week so i don't know if there will be any animal pics from me with it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by sreekers
We plan to get plenty of pictures with packs getting bloody......if we can shoot straight.

I have to ship off the Paradox this week so i don't know if there will be any animal pics from me with it.

Shoot straight friendo.

Good info here. Dibs on the Metcalf if you trip it.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Travis, if we decide to offload the Metcalf after season I will let you know.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Will add a couple pictures of the Paradox and Kifaru today and maybe the Metcalf as well. I will take a few of the shoulder lift on the SG the week of the 15th.

The Kifaru and Paradox offer a LOT of shoulder lift. The Kifaru has a 26 inch frame, and the Paradox a 28. I am 6'5" and there is plenty of lift on both for me. The SG is comparable with the long frame that is on it as well.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here is the Metcalf on namack, he is 6'1" and you can see the lift on him from the frame extension. We also moved the triglide forward on the harness after the pictures.
[Linked Image]

[img][/img]

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by sreekers
Travis, if we decide to offload the Metcalf after season I will let you know.

Thanks broseph.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can't move the takeoff point of the load lift strap forward far enough to do you any good on a NICE frame.

If they did that, and used a more rigid stay on the Metcalf (or the 6500, or now discontinued NICE5000) like Kifaru, they'd have a really damn good pack.

More frustrating is that nobody over there listens to the masses. Clearly their market is guys that know enough to know that Badlands and Elerlesuck aren't that great, but haven't been exposed to other "hunting" pack manufacturers.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Call me cheap, but I don't see any features on any of them that are so different from the ILBE packs the Marines were issued and are now selling for $130-ish delivered on ebay....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I see David's point...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DanAdair
You can't move the takeoff point of the load lift strap forward far enough to do you any good on a NICE frame.

If they did that, and used a more rigid stay on the Metcalf (or the 6500, or now discontinued NICE5000) like Kifaru, they'd have a really damn good pack.

More frustrating is that nobody over there listens to the masses. Clearly their market is guys that know enough to know that Badlands and Elerlesuck aren't that great, but haven't been exposed to other "hunting" pack manufacturers.

I think they're great packs myself. But then again, I love my Badlands 2200 as well.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Call me cheap, but I don't see any features on any of them that are so different from the ILBE packs the Marines were issued and are now selling for $130-ish delivered on ebay....

I've always been curious about those. I had an ALICE. My favorite pack is the Kifaru Siwash which doesn't seem really popular, but I love the thing.

But packs are no different than anything else, hard to knock it if you ain't tried it and that's why I like good reviews.

Travis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For S&G's I just bought one on e-bay (New) for $140 delivered and just got a shipping confirmation.

I'm kinda anxious to give it a whirl.

Thanks David!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave

I had an ALICE. My favorite pack is the Kifaru Siwash which doesn't seem really popular, but I love the thing.

I've had an ALICE or three, even rode the whirlwind with one a time or two, they suck balls.

The Siwash however, looks like it would be a great pack, at least the new one with 24in stays.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by David_Walter

I've always been curious about those. I had an ALICE. My favorite pack is the Kifaru Siwash which doesn't seem really popular, but I love the thing.

But packs are no different than anything else, hard to knock it if you ain't tried it and that's why I like good reviews.

Travis

My favorite is the Siwash as well! Sucks they discontinued it and I wish they would make it again like the G2 but put the top straps back like the G1!

The MR Nice Frame was the worst hunting pack I ever owned for hunting due to weight and always on my shoulders! Built like a tank though or HIGH quality.

Good Shooting!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by hunting1

My favorite is the Siwash as well! Sucks they discontinued it and I wish they would make it again like the G2 but put the top straps back like the G1!

Discontinued?

http://store.kifaru.net/late-season-3400ci5571-liters-p3.aspx

I'd rather have a Hill People Gear Ute though.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I love mine.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by hunting1

I think mine is the G1. I love that thing.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DanAdair

I think they're great packs myself. But then again, I love my Badlands 2200 as well.

Travis

2200s rock if you aren't a whiner.

N
N
I have not had the pleasure of using the ILBE yet, but if it is like most military gear someone with a connection develops the system then the rest of us knuckle draggers suffer for it. I hated the MOLLE rucksack. The ILBE definitely looks like a good design, however loading your animal on it looks a bit messy. From what I can tell there is no load shelf or separate compartment for your animal other than loading it into your bag next to your gear.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have not used the ILBE yet either, and it may be a good pack. Most Acr'teryx stuff seems to be quality, but I can't comment on how it would perform in the backpack hunting world.

The packs we have chosen for this review are the top end packs, or gunning for that top spot. Yes, they are more expensive, and not everyone is going to drop that kind of cash for a hunting pack.

But, there are a LOT of guys out there who are looking to drop this kind of cash. This review is to sort out what does what best, and help the buyer figure out which pack will best suit the needs of their hunt.

It makes it even more difficult to sort through which pack will function best when there are new companies putting out solid, but untested products. Hopefully this will help answer questions to the people who are thinking about buying one of these new products that doesn't have a reputation.

If there is enough interest, I will take on an ILBE review in the near future.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.